Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New owner of an XTI, need help ...

BigbearXTI

Just bought a great 2004  Malibu wakessetter XTI, I need to know if anyone experienced these issues and what were the fixes. 

1-  any website to buy a new wedge, ours disappear somewhere at the bottom of the lake :)

2- the ballast pump on the driver side fills but doesn’t drain, electrical or mechanical problem?

2a- the fill switch of the right ballast fills the front, even though the drain part works perfectly fine. Switched wires ? 

3- the floor were the table would mount is cracked, any one experienced this before? If so where did you get a replacement panel? 

4- slow drip - a tiny drop a second- by the shaft, how to fix that if the boat is on a slip? 

5- do you know of a repair manual for the Malibu wakesetter XTi? 

1= dealer, ebay, or here.

2 - unless someone has modified the ballast system the fill and drain are separate pumps. So most likely have a bad drain pump. Wakemakers, bakes online, or any sporting goods store that sells fishing aerator pumps will work if in a pinch. 

3- dealer for the honeycomb aluminum or online for coosa board.

4 - unless previous owner upgraded to a dripless seal. It is supposed to have a drip. That is the cooling / lubrication for the seal.   

2. On the 2012 MXZ we just bought the front ballast would drain, but not fill. Turned out to be just a fuse. I found mine under the dash. Time will tell if its a bigger problem that's causing the fuse to blow, but for now its working. 

2a. When investigating this problem I noticed all the connectors to the ballast pumps are the same, so it would be easy to switch connections on accident, or intentionally(as I did to test the pumps).  

On 8/31/2020 at 10:20 AM, erc1956us said:

Congratulations on the purchase, i too just got a 04  XTI.  Bakes has a lot of the parts you will need as well as rebuild kits for the pump.  For the wedge I would upgrade to the floating wedge https://www.bakesonline.com/malibu-boats-auto-set-floating-wedge.html but its a cost.  

did you have to install a new bracket? 

6 hours ago, Philip said:

2. On the 2012 MXZ we just bought the front ballast would drain, but not fill. Turned out to be just a fuse. I found mine under the dash. Time will tell if its a bigger problem that's causing the fuse to blow, but for now its working. 

2a. When investigating this problem I noticed all the connectors to the ballast pumps are the same, so it would be easy to switch connections on accident, or intentionally(as I did to test the pumps).  

mine seem like the wires are crossed somewhere, they are not long enough to be switch on the dash... i will check on the fuse, weird that there have 2 different fuses , one to fill and one to drain... 

On 8/31/2020 at 7:38 AM, cowwboy said:

1= dealer, ebay, or here.

2 - unless someone has modified the ballast system the fill and drain are separate pumps. So most likely have a bad drain pump. Wakemakers, bakes online, or any sporting goods store that sells fishing aerator pumps will work if in a pinch. 

3- dealer for the honeycomb aluminum or online for coosa board.

4 - unless previous owner upgraded to a dripless seal. It is supposed to have a drip. That is the cooling / lubrication for the seal.   

Dude that was awesome ! ! 

2 minutes ago, BigbearXTI said:

mine seem like the wires are crossed somewhere, they are not long enough to be switch on the dash... i will check on the fuse, weird that there have 2 different fuses , one to fill and one to drain... 

One pump each for fill and drain and one fuse per pump is how mine is setup. Fortunately they were labeled on the panel. 

Just now, Philip said:

One pump each for fill and drain and one fuse per pump is how mine is setup. Fortunately they were labeled on the panel. 

perfect i will check this week end , thank  you 

22 hours ago, BigbearXTI said:

perfect i will check this week end , thank  you 

The wiring in the dash is fairly close together and just push on terminals so it should be fairly easy to swap around.

The wiring in the mid 00's boats is a bit different then the newer boats. More push on connectors and butt splices vs the newer delphi , weatherpac, duetsch type connectors o nthe newer boats.