Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

20 22 LSV possible move to 23 MXZ

Surf4FamFun

We bought a 20 22 LSV a few months ago, had lots of teething issues which have mostly been resolved (now at 87 owner hours) but we are looking to trade in and start fresh.  The 22 LSV was our first wake boat and we have a better idea of what we want now.  What we find is that taking out 4 to 6 kids none over 115 lb and one other Dad is not much crew ballast to work with.  The 23 MXZ seems to have 320 lb more ballast in the bow tank and 200 lb more in hull weight than the 23 LSV, looking to go there..  I am thinking that the extra 500 lb in the bow would make it a lot easier to get the nose down and stretch to the wake.  Looks like this would be a noticeable difference between the LSV and MXZ when building the wake.  Has anyone had any real world experience with the differences in the two boats at the same length?

Second question is does anyone have any feedback going from the 22 LSV to the 23 LSV?  From reading the forum it seems like the consensus is anything bigger and heavier is better we would pick up a foot and 1,000 lb counting ballast going to the 23 MXZ.  Anyone made that move?

Last thing is that we have the M5 motor and there are crew and ballast configurations that we can not reach surf speed with, I think because of the light nose so figuring to go to the M6 if we upgrade.

I have a 2020 mxz with the M6.  The engine is wonderful, even at 6500 feet in Tahoe.  I had a 23 LSV prior but it was an 08 so a tough comparison.  I still ran 350lbs of lead in the front mid unless we had a large crew but it makes a great wave either wave. 

Can you comment on the wake from your 23 LSV (which is what I have currently) in comparison to the MXZ?

The question is:  How is the MXZ wake for a slalom skier?  I still have a "couple of those" in the family and the LSV is fine for them too.  I want to switch to the MXZ but wondering if the wake is unreasonably big for a slalom skier?   Thanks, Darin

16 minutes ago, dpangalangan said:

Can you comment on the wake from your 23 LSV (which is what I have currently) in comparison to the MXZ?

The question is:  How is the MXZ wake for a slalom skier?  I still have a "couple of those" in the family and the LSV is fine for them too.  I want to switch to the MXZ but wondering if the wake is unreasonably big for a slalom skier?   Thanks, Darin

I don’t think I would want to slalom ski behind my 23 MXZ. It is not very good for that...lol 

Are you just trading the boat into the dealership and taking what they give you? Or are you attempting to sell it privately to get as much money as possible? Have any photos of the 22LSV? 

The mxz throws out a great wakeboarding wake on the presets.  I don't waterski so to be honest I haven't really looked close at it, but I don't think it would be much different than your LSV unless you currently have the diamond hull.  As mentioned above, its not a waterski boat so you have to decide what you are looking for more.

On a side note I am moving up to a 25 so if you are interested in a gently used loaded 2020 MXZ hit me up on PM and we can talk.

Brian

We went from an 06 VLX to a 17 23 LSV to a 2020 23 MXZ and have had a few kids grow up with those boats and a pretty regular group of younger kids surfing and wakeboarding.  

The 23 LSV required extra bow weight for a really good surf wave.  The MXZ still benefits from a bit of bow weight but can easily be set up for a great surf wave with stock ballast (100% bow, 100% center, 50-60% rear with P&P, wedge at 2-3, 11.1 MPH).  For the younger kids (6-9), the same set up with the wedge stowed is a great wave that is easier for the smaller, lighter riders.  

One of the main reasons we stayed with Malibu was how well the wake can be tuned for younger riders.  We experienced a number of quality issues with the 17 LSV and a LOT of issues with the 2020 23 MXZ.  Some are dealer related and many are just bad QC from Malibu but they are getting worked out.  Even with those issues, the benefits still outweigh the challenges.  Using the wedge in lift mode you can keep the wake small and the boat performing well with almost any speed for beginners.  I was towing some brand new wakeboarders at 12.5 mph this past weekend without sending rollers everywhere and keeping the bow down using lift mode.  My 9 year old is starting to learn tricks riding at 17.8 and I can get a clean, well-shaped wake with a reasonable rope length for an advanced, younger rider.  He rides with 50% bow weight, empty everywhere else except about 10% in the port rear to even the wake side to side and wedge on 1.  He's clearing the wake HS and TS, has a few grabs and is working on 180s and riding switch.  It's been really great to be able to tune the wake and rope length to give him confidence to go from barely jumping one wake mid-summer to the point he's at now. 

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, jackson said:

Using the wedge in lift mode you can keep the wake small and the boat performing well with almost any speed for beginners.  I was towing some brand new wakeboarders at 12.5 mph this past weekend without sending rollers everywhere and keeping the bow down using lift mode.

Ok...I’ve got 70ish hours on my 2020 22MXZ and have never used lift mode. Can you explain when and how you find it beneficial? What is the process to enter lift mode and what are the limitations? 

11 minutes ago, AxleGrease99 said:

Ok...I’ve got 70ish hours on my 2020 22MXZ and have never used lift mode. Can you explain when and how you find it beneficial? What is the process to enter lift mode and what are the limitations? 

You may not have selected "lift" but you ahve used it.  When you are using the wedge for boarding the system will use Autowedge which will move the wedge to the lift position every time you slow down (ie: 5mph or slower.)  When you take off again the wedge is in lift mode till you get near your set speed... then the wedge will move to your selected ramp angle.

I do use lift for a few other things... when pulling my kids slowly on the tubes or even pulling someone on the Zup around 11-13MPH... left will get the nose down and really improve the performance of the boat at that speed, also mellows out the wake.

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

You may not have selected "lift" but you ahve used it.  When you are using the wedge for boarding the system will use Autowedge which will move the wedge to the lift position every time you slow down (ie: 5mph or slower.)  When you take off again the wedge is in lift mode till you get near your set speed... then the wedge will move to your selected ramp angle.

I do use lift for a few other things... when pulling my kids slowly on the tubes or even pulling someone on the Zup around 11-13MPH... left will get the nose down and really improve the performance of the boat at that speed, also mellows out the wake.

Thanks! Can I use it if I’m just trying to cruise at 15-25mph? We have a lot of pontoons on our chain that all like to go 15mph. If I’m following them through a narrow stretch I either have to try and pass so I can do 30mph or slow to 6mph to avoid throwing a tidal wave at shore. 

7 minutes ago, AxleGrease99 said:

Thanks! Can I use it if I’m just trying to cruise at 15-25mph? We have a lot of pontoons on our chain that all like to go 15mph. If I’m following them through a narrow stretch I either have to try and pass so I can do 30mph or slow to 6mph to avoid throwing a tidal wave at shore. 

Yep... 25MPh is probably the max, somewhere around there you will start getting an alarm that you are going to fast for the wedge (it wasn't designed for slalom speeds.)

21 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Yep... 25MPh is probably the max, somewhere around there you will start getting an alarm that you are going to fast for the wedge (it wasn't designed for slalom speeds.)

What speed can u deploy it at? 

On 9/2/2020 at 3:22 PM, AxleGrease99 said:

The other posts have it covered pretty well but a fun fact: if you're getting ready to switch from wakeboarding to surfing and the wedge is in lift mode after stopping, it will sometimes get stuck in lift mode when you start surfing.  Hitting a new wedge number on the screen usually resets the issue but that happens about 50% of the time.  Based on some other behavior, there is a bug in the software that doesn't properly control the lift mode in all conditions.   

You can use the lift mode like any of the other wedge positions but the wedge has to be deployed first.  I think you can deploy at 1 mph to 7 mph?  But it would definitely work for your situation of not wanting to throw rollers to the shore at ~15 mph.  

Lift mode is also great when you're completely full but need to run back to the dock or anywhere else and want to get there in a hurry.  This past weekend we had the boat full, first surfer was done and my son needs to go to the bathroom which is a pretty good distance back to ramp.  (Small private lake with seawalls and houses all around so swimming to land isn't an option for #2).  Manually selected lift, and hit the throttle and we're doing 23mph back to ramp.  Always saw it engage during wakeboarding but never thought to use it manually until our last vacation when a storm popped up and we were full and not terribly far away from dock but didn't want to wait to drain.

One of those "how old were you when you realized?.....things"

Edited by wedge88