Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel comparison of M6 VS LT4?

djheywood

We haven’t surfed with a lot of people in the boat yet. But mostly, I think the speed prop is making a big difference in fuel economy on my LT4.

On the downside, OMG does this thing torque steer. Our 25 LSV demo boat had M6/standard prop combo; you could let go of the wheel and she tracked straight. No way in my boat! Curious if other LT4 owners experience this, should probably start a new thread.

36 minutes ago, DFW said:

We haven’t surfed with a lot of people in the boat yet. But mostly, I think the speed prop is making a big difference in fuel economy on my LT4.

On the downside, OMG does this thing torque steer. Our 25 LSV demo boat had M6/standard prop combo; you could let go of the wheel and she tracked straight. No way in my boat! Curious if other LT4 owners experience this, should probably start a new thread.

Hydraulic steering or standard?

18 hours ago, DFW said:

What prop are you using?

22 hours ago, DFW said:

Well that is disappointing information.  My 2021 24MXZ with the M6 tracked straight also, which was nice.   I wonder if the prop makes a difference? 

According to the boys at WSA, yes, the LT4 and that aggressive prop definitely make a difference. Shawn and Justin have both driven the boat and see the condition as normal. I’ll pick up a standard prop (3077 17”x15.5”) for my spare and see if that makes a difference.

Wow.  My '19 25LSV with the 2805 & M6 tracks straight as an arrow.  

Also, for those wanting an incredibly useful project.  Go check out the Scangauge install several of us have done. The most useful part to me about it is that I know to about a 1/4 gallon exactly how much gas is left in the tank.  This is after running a few tanks of gas through and making adjustments to the calibration of the gauge.

My 25LSV fully ballasted and 300lbs of lead with the M6 at 11mph and speed prop at 700' runs about 10gph with a mellow wave and about 12.5gph with an aggressive wave.  Both goofy.   Load the boat down all the way with ppl (dump some ballast to compensate), and in general those numbers go up about 0.5gph.  If I run it all the way to ramp the gph will shoot through the roof.  Like 16-17gph.  But the wave isn't very good like that any way.  No one likes it, and it's real steep and short enough the people on the boat can scratch the riders nose.  Having the scangauge was really enlightening as we adjusted for riders on the fly through the day.  You could see the fuel consumption spike after some minor changes and know that you just went too far into the realm of diminishing returns with whatever you just did (e.g. wedge setting, too many people in the back, not enough ppl in the front, etc).

FWIW on my boat.  A really good cruising speed of 25-27mph and the gas consumption is about the same 10-11gph.  Really, the big hog is making a wakeboard wake.  If I'm pulling my 10yo around at 21mph with just the wedge and no ballast, then it's once again about 10-11gph.  Fill up the sacks and drop the wedge some more for the adults and we're talking 15-16gph.  Fill up the whole boat with people and go crazy with the sacs and you're kissing 20gph.  Happily, it's rarely like that for us.  Usually just 5-6 ppl and dogs.

https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110/

• Like 4

Thanks man.  That may be to ambitious for me right now but interesting.  I am finally over the worry of gas consumption but may change my mind after running my first Supercharged boat loaded to the gills. 

As far as the props go I have always gone with the most aggressive possible but won't need to with the LT4.  I don't see how that changes the way the boat tracks any differently.