Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High Pitch noise while in gear at about 1000 RPM

formerathlete

Our past two trips out, we've had a very sporadic (but becoming more regular) high pitch "whirring" or "whistling" sound coming from somewhere in the drivetrain of our '19 A22. Almost like a submarine sonar sound (but not pulsing). It only happens while in gear (only forward) at about 1000 RPM. It disappears above and below 1000 RPM. It seems like it's related to the propshaft in some sort of way but I'm now sure how. Could it be the cutlass bearing already? When boat is out of water, I can turn the prop without any noise and everything seems properly aligned and normal. I'll be talking to the dealer about it but thought I'd ask here, too.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/input.

It could be your prop 'singing'. I had it after I had my prop repaired. I called the shop up and he said oh yea every now and then when a prop gets repaired if they dont get it just right it 'sings'. I took it back and they fixed it while I waited and its fine now.

29 minutes ago, WeekdayBoater said:

It could be your prop 'singing'. I had it after I had my prop repaired. I called the shop up and he said oh yea every now and then when a prop gets repaired if they dont get it just right it 'sings'. I took it back and they fixed it while I waited and its fine now.

Just found this old post after you mentioned it could be the prop. It is a repaired prop (kissed the trailer on steep ramp and required repair), so that has to be it. It's a relief if that's what it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine was definitely the prop singing. Repair shop did some work to the trailing edge of each blade and it’s nearly gone. He said to bring it back in if it still sings and he’ll take it down a bit more. I’ll probably take it to him in the offseason but it’s so minimal now, I may not even worry about it. 

Edited by formerathlete