Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXI Hammerhead low compression

Not a great day today. I could smell a little oil in the cockpit of my 09 RLXI while cruising and found it had some crankcase blowby. Did a compression check today and all of my cylinders were around 185-190 psi except one - at 60 PSI.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 11:51 AM, UWSkier said:

is it "making oil?" or is that how you knew you had crankcase blow-by?

I could smell light oil odor while cruising so did a visual (leaks, etc) and found the crank case vent hose close to the throttle body was blowing a little oil fumes. That prompted me to do a compression check.

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled the motor out, was relatively easy. Now on a stand and ready to disassemble...

Had a line on a stroked LT1 that I thought might give me an easy way out for now but the LT1 has too many differences over the zz383 to make it work without a lot of effort.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Late on the update but I did pull it apart and the piston ring landings on the #6 cylinder were broken. Zero damage to the cylinder or anything else it seems.

• Like 2