Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

jhardwood

Response LX owner - next boat FXI?

Recommended Posts

jhardwood

Looking for some advice...I am the single owner of a 1998 Reponse LX.  We have absolutely loved this boat.  We barefoot (A LOT) and slalom (A LOT).  We even have managed to surf behind it some.  This boat owes us nothing, has about 900 hours on it, and we are thinking of getting something newer at this time and passing this boat on to someone else.  I want to stay with the Reponse series, something 10-12 years old or newer, and am struggling to figure out the right hull.  LXI, TXI, FXI, year/series, etc.    It seems like there does not seem to be a boat that matches the wakes that our Reponse LX provides...but I am probably not reading these reviews very well.  Today, I got a lead on a 2009 Response FXI, which seems to have pretty good reviews although it was only made for a short time.  Does anyone have experience with slalom and barefoot behind this boat, barefoot beside it (boom), and possibly even surfing?  Any other recommendations for model years and models to look at that will meet our hardcore barefoot and slalom needs?

Share this post


Link to post
jhardwood

Thanks Eagleboy99.  I had seen some of his photos, but the videos are no longer uploaded.  I see you have a Response LX.  Ever footed/skied behind the FXI?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Eagleboy99

Weird - I was just looking at them.  You might want to ping Peter Brown  ( @smoothwaterman ) He can give you the low down on footing.  I've never footed behind the FXi.  BTW, the rear vents on the FXI might be an issue with surfing (water ingress).

Share this post


Link to post
Sixball

I have a 2007 RLXI I am thinking about selling. Low hours in very good shape.  We lost our lake so our bot won't be seeing lake time soon. :(

Share this post


Link to post
jhardwood

Hi Sixball, I am interested...good LXI year from what I hear. Can you post some pictures and/or provide some more details on boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Woodski

If I recall correctly, FXI is a V drive. Probably the one variant to avoid as a hard core barefoot / slalom addict.  Your RLX is going to be hard to beat for footing.  LXI and TXI have great slalom wakes, they also foot well.  I strongly suggest trying before buying.

Share this post


Link to post
footndale
8 minutes ago, Woodski said:

If I recall correctly, FXI is a V drive. Probably the one variant to avoid as a hard core barefoot / slalom addict.  Your RLX is going to be hard to beat for footing.  LXI and TXI have great slalom wakes, they also foot well.  I strongly suggest trying before buying.

Yes it is a V-drive and foots like most  V-drives. :)

Share this post


Link to post
footndale
10 hours ago, jhardwood said:

Looking for some advice...I am the single owner of a 1998 Reponse LX.  We have absolutely loved this boat.  We barefoot (A LOT) and slalom (A LOT).  We even have managed to surf behind it some.  This boat owes us nothing, has about 900 hours on it, and we are thinking of getting something newer at this time and passing this boat on to someone else.  I want to stay with the Reponse series, something 10-12 years old or newer, and am struggling to figure out the right hull.  LXI, TXI, FXI, year/series, etc.    It seems like there does not seem to be a boat that matches the wakes that our Reponse LX provides...but I am probably not reading these reviews very well.  Today, I got a lead on a 2009 Response FXI, which seems to have pretty good reviews although it was only made for a short time.  Does anyone have experience with slalom and barefoot behind this boat, barefoot beside it (boom), and possibly even surfing?  Any other recommendations for model years and models to look at that will meet our hardcore barefoot and slalom needs?

Do you mainly foot long line or boom? 02-06 Response LXI are better footing boats then later models. Barefooting, are you crossing wakes much? If so you won't like the FXI.

Share this post


Link to post
Woodski

@jhardwood - Your post on the wake quality specifically related to barefooting is spot on.  You are going to be challenged to find a better boat that is as good for both barefooting and slalom, most notably the barefooting quality.  As for slalom, the LXI and TXI are a bit better in my opinion and comparable in many others opinion (wake quality can be very subjective).  If you are simply wanting newer, you may as well add a late model RLX to your mix, or even try to find an LXR (which is pretty much a walk through OB RLX).  Even with those, I would try before you buy, I find my neighbors '07 RLX different to the other Response on our lake.

Share this post


Link to post
UWSkier
10 hours ago, Woodski said:

If I recall correctly, FXI is a V drive. Probably the one variant to avoid as a hard core barefoot / slalom addict.  Your RLX is going to be hard to beat for footing.  LXI and TXI have great slalom wakes, they also foot well.  I strongly suggest trying before buying.

FXi is a direct drive version of the 20' V-drive running surface. Basically a widened version of 07-11 LXi hull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Woodski

I was incorrect on the FXI being a V drive, videos available show it as a DD.  Makes sense given it's model designation.

Share this post


Link to post
jhardwood

Wow, great feedback everyone, and very much appreciated.  Yes, this FXI is a DD, with a little more beam and freeboard than LXI.  Hence, my wake fears. 

@footndale: I do mostly long line barefooting, with 2 foot wakecrossings.

FYI all, i intend to slalom and foot and even surf behind this FXI this weekend, so stay tuned.  One other downer on this boat:  No heater.  That could be a deal breaker already compared to my 3 outlet heater in the LX for those October and April Maine runs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Slayer
7 minutes ago, jhardwood said:

Wow, great feedback everyone, and very much appreciated.  Yes, this FXI is a DD, with a little more beam and freeboard than LXI.  Hence, my wake fears. 

@footndale: I do mostly long line barefooting, with 2 foot wakecrossings.

FYI all, i intend to slalom and foot and even surf behind this FXI this weekend, so stay tuned.  One other downer on this boat:  No heater.  That could be a deal breaker already compared to my 3 outlet heater in the LX for those October and April Maine runs.

 

If it's the right boat at the right price, don't worry about the heater.  You can put one in yourself relatively easily.  

Share this post


Link to post
jhardwood

@woodski:  The LXR is a surprise to me.  I had no idea that boat existed.  Any experience from anyone on skiiing/footing that boat?

Share this post


Link to post
UWSkier
26 minutes ago, jhardwood said:

@woodski:  The LXR is a surprise to me.  I had no idea that boat existed.  Any experience from anyone on skiiing/footing that boat?

LXR is basically the same boat as the 1999+ Response LX with a walk-through.  Identical hull.  It has a narrow walk-through to the bow instead of the step-over.  It has the exact same running surface as your 1998 Response.  Depending on the year, the engine might be in a slightly different location by a few inches, which will have a slight impact on the wakes.

Share this post


Link to post
jhardwood

Ok folks, so that boat fell through and the LX and LXR are tough to find.  I have skied and footed behind neighbors 2009 RLX Barefoot edition.  I am currently looking at a 2012 TXI and a 2016 TXI.  Both seem to have similar hulls before the radical 2017 change?  Any comments/suggestions on look/avoid on 2012 TXI or 2016TXI for footing and slalom?

Thanks to all.   This site is a huge help.

Share this post


Link to post
Woodski

@jhardwood - the 2012 TXI hull change was less deadrise.  I have not had the opportunity to foot behind that era TXI so can't help a lot there.  I would think the wake characteristics would still be very similar, the slalom wakes did not dramatically change with the Gen 1 TXI hull change.

Share this post


Link to post
jhardwood

Interesting...I have seen that boat quite a few times on the various sites. New engine part makes me a little nervous, although I assume hydrolock was an issue with the way it was driven, a catastrophic event, or overall failure. Anyone with 2016 TXI experience?  

FYI, I am also in the Northeast so that continues to factor into purchase equation relative to actually getting the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
footndale

The seller rebuilds engines and makes them fast. 

Hope you find something closer to you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
jhardwood

Hey footndale, I am very close to closing a deal on the boat that you referenced above.  Still a little nervous about buying a boat with a rebuild in it.  Do you have any other history/experience with the seller and his rebuilds.  He seems pretty reputable, but I can also be pretty gullible.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Steve B.

You need that thing in your life 🚤.  Anybody close by that can do a lake test ?

Steve B.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...