Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5di vs M6di at 500 elevation

Cynic

I'm thinking of buying the 2021 Axis A24. I currently have a 2019 Axis A22 with the 410HP Monsoon.  We predominantly wake surf although there are a couple rare wakeboarders in our crew.  We live on a lake at approx 500 ft elevation, so altitude isn't a problem.  I'm hearing the new A24 with the M5di and the 2 to 1 transmission with larger prop is more than sufficient.  Does anyone have any experience with the larger boats and the M5 vs M6.  I'm also very interested in any information I can get regarding the supposed increase in gallons per hour with the new engine.  I'd really rather not spend the extra money on the bigger motor if I don't need to.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, Cynic said:

I'm thinking of buying the 2021 Axis A24. I currently have a 2019 Axis A22 with the 410HP Monsoon.  We predominantly wake surf although there are a couple rare wakeboarders in our crew.  We live on a lake at approx 500 ft elevation, so altitude isn't a problem.  I'm hearing the new A24 with the M5di and the 2 to 1 transmission with larger prop is more than sufficient.  Does anyone have any experience with the larger boats and the M5 vs M6.  I'm also very interested in any information I can get regarding the supposed increase in gallons per hour with the new engine.  I'd really rather not spend the extra money on the bigger motor if I don't need to.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

If you are asking the question then... just get the M6 and never worry about it.  The A24 is a bit boat... personally I wouldn't order one without the M6. 

I recently sold my 24mxz with the m6. We’re at 360’ of elevation. I thought it was a great motor when combined with the lift mode when wakeboarding. Had adequate power, but never really thought you could get away with less motor. However, I have recently been on an A24 with the m4 and just the manual wedge. I honestly didn’t even think it’d get on plane wakeboarding, but was actually surprised. Wasn’t anything like the m6 and takes longer to get on plane than what you’d want, but it worked. So to answer your question...I’d say with the power wedge you could probably get away with it and be ok. 

With all that said, I’d still pay the extra $6,000 and get the m6. I wouldn’t want an underpowered $100,000 boat and it’s not really even costing you $6,000 anyways after you figure your discount. 

Ordered the M6 on our new 2020 23 LSV. Been using it since the post shut down delivery. Love it. Definitely wouldn’t want less power. At about same elevation. Do the M6.