Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M6 overheating High Coolant temp Stage 1

I know its a Saturday night and most of you are out enjoying your boats but I could really use some help here.

Background (it probably means nothing but who knows) I hadn't used my boat in the last 4 weeks because of my mom passing away and my daughter moving off to college:cry:

My wife and I were out most of the day on Thursday and the boat ran like a champ.

Today we went out drove through mostly channels for about 10 minutes then I opened it up and ran about 5 minutes as i decelerated to go through a channel the alarm went off (code High Coolant temp Stage 1) I was stuck going through the channel as I had boats in front and behind the temp went back to normal but I could smell coolant.  I tired going over 5-7 MPH again and the temp climbed to 190 so I throttled back. I checked the sea strainer and it looked fine.  So my first thought was F another impeller.  So we limped the boat back 1/2 hour never overheating to north arm where we launched and let the kids swim to try to save the day.  Once back home I pulled the impeller thinking that was the culprit.. only half of 1 fin gone.  There was coolant on the top of the motor and I added about 40 ounces of coolant. Its Sunday tomorrow and would like to go out again.

What do you guys think could be wrong? Thermostat?  Coolant hose? bring it to the dealer and never use it again until next year?

I've had to replace my impeller before and the code was different EMWT1 High Temp Stage 1

Thanks
Dan

34 minutes ago, dcarl said:

I know its a Saturday night and most of you are out enjoying your boats but I could really use some help here.

Background (it probably means nothing but who knows) I hadn't used my boat in the last 4 weeks because of my mom passing away and my daughter moving off to college:cry:

My wife and I were out most of the day on Thursday and the boat ran like a champ.

Today we went out drove through mostly channels for about 10 minutes then I opened it up and ran about 5 minutes as i decelerated to go through a channel the alarm went off (code High Coolant temp Stage 1) I was stuck going through the channel as I had boats in front and behind the temp went back to normal but I could smell coolant.  I tired going over 5-7 MPH again and the temp climbed to 190 so I throttled back. I checked the sea strainer and it looked fine.  So my first thought was F another impeller.  So we limped the boat back 1/2 hour never overheating to north arm where we launched and let the kids swim to try to save the day.  Once back home I pulled the impeller thinking that was the culprit.. only half of 1 fin gone.  There was coolant on the top of the motor and I added about 40 ounces of coolant. Its Sunday tomorrow and would like to go out again.

What do you guys think could be wrong? Thermostat?  Coolant hose? bring it to the dealer and never use it again until next year?

I've had to replace my impeller before and the code was different EMWT1 High Temp Stage 1

Thanks
Dan

Sounds like the issue Malibu recently published a TSB on for the M5/M6... something about a coolant valve not being up to spec (part supplier didn't use the correct material to make the part.)   Not impeller related.  There is a fix, your dealer should know the details.

• Like 2

It may not be your issue but, I was chasing coolant leak(s) for a year on my M5 and finally found them no thanks to the dealer. The spiffy plastic plate that covers the engine and for what ever reason can not be removed unless you remove the coolant cap was one leak. Not a good idea on a hot engine. It seems that plate would not let the coolant cap fully close on the puke tank, so one 3 5/16” hole saw later the plate sits on the tank with plenty of clearance and looks like it was designed that way. While I was at it I enlarged the hole for the dip stick as well so so now I can check the top of manifold or anything else under there and hot or cold with out the risk of getting scalded. The other leak was a hose clamp directly behind the raw water pump. Guess it wasn’t tightened when the dealer upgraded the pump and impeller last year. Hope it is an easy DIY fix. Bill

Edited by wdr
3 minutes ago, wdr said:

It may not be your issue but, I was chasing coolant leak(s) for a year on my M5 and finally found them no thanks to the dealer. The spiffy plastic plate that covers the engine and for what ever reason can not be removed unless you remove the coolant cap was one leak. Not a good idea on a hot engine. It seems that plate would not let the coolant cap fully close on the puked tank, so one 3 5/16” hole saw later the plate sits on the tank with plenty of clearance and looks like it was designed that way. While I was at it I enlarged the hole for the dip stick as well so so now I can check the fluids hot or cold with out the risk of getting scalded. The other leak was a hose clamp directly behind the raw water pump. Guess it wasn’t tightened when the dealer upgraded the pump and impeller last year. Hope it is an easy DIY fix. Bill

Oh yes.. that was my issue on delivery day :-O... xacto knife fixed that one.  I believe that was only an issue on very early production engine covers.

9 minutes ago, gregtay said:

See IXFEs post here: 

So sounds like I'm done for the season because when I call my dealer on Monday I'm sure they're 2-3 weeks out.  Now the worst month of my life just got worse. I had a chance to get a raptor  in this boat but waited and payed more for the M6. So thankful for the info @gregtay Tomorrows my birthday I guess I'll spend it at the bar instead of on the water.

The weirdest thing about all this is that the engine is getting worse with time, not better.  I got one of the early M6 motors and everything was perfect in my 2019.   I was just after the bad impellers and before a lot of other crap seemed to be going on.  

17 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

The weirdest thing about all this is that the engine is getting worse with time, not better.  I got one of the early M6 motors and everything was perfect in my 2019.   I was just after the bad impellers and before a lot of other crap seemed to be going on.  

My M6 in my 2019 23LSV (April build) has been flawless 110 hours in (other than the coolant cap issue that we discovered at delivery.)  The rest of the boat is a different story.. but no motor issues.

Both my 19 and my 20 have been flawless also. My 20 had a slight stereo problem. Only issue. I have been blipping the throttle o n start up tho.

Edited by surfdude
ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, dcarl said:

So sounds like I'm done for the season because when I call my dealer on Monday I'm sure they're 2-3 weeks out.  Now the worst month of my life just got worse. I had a chance to get a raptor  in this boat but waited and payed more for the M6. So thankful for the info @gregtay Tomorrows my birthday I guess I'll spend it at the bar instead of on the water.

That is the fix, but you should be fine to run the boat. I had that code a few times and it always went away. Just make sure your strainer is clear, your rev the throttle a bit at startup and monitor that temperature.

4 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That is the fix, but you should be fine to run the boat. I had that code a few times and it always went away. Just make sure your strainer is clear, your rev the throttle a bit at startup and monitor that temperature.

I too have got the high code a few times and it went away but the one I got yesterday was different see pic. I going to roll the dice and try it again today, wish me luck.

codes.jpg

17 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I have an M6 that arrived in my 25 lsv in January of 2019. It was one of the firsts; it has 250 hours on it now, and I have had zero impeller failures or any engine issues since at least 50 hours.  

This is probably a dumb question but is your intake underneath clear of weeds etc?  I had the same alarm and it was because I sucked up a patch of algae that perfectly covered my intake grate.  Very little made it through to the strainer and once I cleaned off the grate really well my temps went right back down and no more alarms or overheating at all.