Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis A24; M5di vs M6di

Cynic

I'm thinking of buying the 2021 Axis A24. I currently have a 2019 Axis A22 with the 410HP Monsoon.  We predominantly wake surf although there are a couple rare wakeboarders in our crew.  We live on a lake at approx 500 ft elevation, so altitude isn't a problem.  I'm hearing the new A24 with the M5di and the 2 to 1 transmission with larger prop is more than sufficient.  Does anyone have any experience with the larger boats and the M5 vs M6.  I'm also very interested in any information I can get regarding the supposed increase in gallons per hour with the new engine.  I'd really rather not spend the extra money on the bigger motor if I don't need to.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Sorry can't help with the specific questions, but no one has ever said "I wish I got the smaller engine" - Personally I wasn't a huge fan to see the new M5 had less power than the old 410, yes it may perform better due to the 2:1 now, but I don't think I would go down on power anyway if I were back in the marekt.  Then again I haven't looked at how much they want for the M6 upgrade yet either so :grainofsalt

I have a 2020 WSLSV with a M6di and no I do not wish I had ordered it with a M5di.

We go out with 5-6 or more adults and wakeboard and surf.  I couldn’t be happier with the engine.

You are ordering a big boat and want to surf.  You need responsive power.

• Like 3
On 8/30/2020 at 5:31 PM, MustGoFast said:

Sorry can't help with the specific questions, but no one has ever said "I wish I got the smaller engine" - Personally I wasn't a huge fan to see the new M5 had less power than the old 410, yes it may perform better due to the 2:1 now, but I don't think I would go down on power anyway if I were back in the marekt.  Then again I haven't looked at how much they want for the M6 upgrade yet either so :grainofsalt

The 409 and M5Di are fairly close but the M5Di does have more torque and it's peak torque is available at lower RPM, where it's needed most. The 409 is 363HP/341ft-lbs. The M5Di is 344HP/373 ft-lbs. The M6Di is significantly more powerful at 386HP/446 ft-lbs. To me, with the size of the A24, especially when sacked out and a big crew, it's worth the extra coin to get the M6, as painful as that may be. You won't regret it whereas you might have regrets with the M5, even with the 2:1. 

Edited by formerathlete
  • Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
On 8/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, MustGoFast said:

I just went from the 6.0 410 to the M5 in the 2019 VTX to 2020 VTX. Same transmission and prop. I’m blown away at how much better the M5 performs. Don’t take those numbers for face value. It’s stronger and quicker out of the hole for skiing, significantly lower rpms for surfing and I can surf all the way to 11mph if I want to which never would have happened with the 410. I feel like I’m putting less fuel in it too but I didn’t track that and I’m not tracking it now. 

All that said, if I were ordering an A24 it would have the M6. It’s just a huge boat. I’m sure the M5 will perform but it would be something to make sure I have in it. 

• Like 3

i havent seen one (dont even know if they are published), but it would be helpful/nice to see the dyno curves of the old vs. new engine lineup.  @ahopkinsVTX is 100% correct.  Peak numbers rarely tell the story.  The lines on the dyno sheet really let you see what the motor is doing.

Edited by Texan32
  • Like 2
  • 11 months later...

I have a 2020 A24 with the M6, i love it! with full ballast and 10 adults it still snaps up to speed like nothing. Will even jump up and get on plane to head home while dumping. Coming from a 2013 G23 with a Z409, its absolutely night and day.

I had a 2020 and 2021 model A24 , both with m6 and hi altitude prop . I think the 21 is a bit heavier dry but I also had 900 lb sacs in the back versus 550 I believe. My lake is at 6100’ . The 21 struggled with 10 people on board . I think that is as much as can be expected from that motor. That’s a ton of weight. Tons. So for most everyone, the m6 will do everything, my situation is the exception. My new T250 is ordered with the LT4. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't wakeboard fully ballasted you don't need the m6.  The 17" prop makes a huge difference (almost like an engine upgrade).  That is my experience.  I demoed a 2021 a24 with the m5, but went with the m6 because I wakeboard fully ballasted and occasionally have a boat full (no pun intended) of people.  If all I did was surf there is no reason for the m6.  Save the 5k or whatever it is.  Again, just my opinion.  I understand people will say I never heard of anyone complaining about too much power, but 5k is still 5k.  Go out and demo and you can see for yourself.  I was highly impressed with what the m5 could do.  Just wasn't going to work for my personal situation.