Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overgreased Rudder Box - 1994 Echelon

In my first attempt to grease the rudder box on my 1994 Echelon, I read didn't enough on the topic and overfilled the rudder box.  The steering went from decent to unusable immediately after a few pumps.  I am confident this is not a steering cable issue.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve an over greased rudder box?  Is there away to release the pressure without dropping the rudder and cleaning out the entire box?   Thanks for any feedback!

16 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Have you removed the connection from the cable to the rudder?

Steve B.

I have not removed that connection yet.  Educating myself before I take any further steps. Open to any suggestions though.

Edited by Wannaski24
8 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Just guessing here... but if you remove the Zerk fitting would that not release the pressure?

Thanks for the suggestion.   I've never replaced a zerk fitting before.  Any special considerations or does it just thread out and thread back in?  I'll do a little research on it this unless someone else replies.

I suppose that might be the easiest resolution.  It's a 5/16th socket to remove it. 

Edited by Wannaski24
24 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Just guessing here... but if you remove the Zerk fitting would that not release the pressure?

Thanks!!!  This did the trick!  Easy fix.  Was worried that we wouldn't be able use it this weekend and have three happy boys again now that we can pack up the boat tonight.

Edited by Wannaski24
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Wannaski24 said:

Thanks!!!  This did the trick!  Easy fix.  Was worried that we wouldn't be able use it this weekend and have three happy boys again now that we can pack up the boat tonight.

Cool!  Like Dad used to say "Even a blind sow finds an acorn every now and then." :)  I'm working on grease fittings for the ramp attachment on my new dock and this question has come up between me and the fabrication guy - thanks for proving it out!  Enjoy your weekend!