Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Removal

Hi All, 

I picked up the acme 515 prop to replace what was probably the original stainless steel prop on my '99 SSLXI. I called two local marinas to try and rent a prop puller. One said they did not have it, the 2nd said I don't need one, just use a piece of wood and a hammer to knock it off! Anyone have experience taking an old prop off with this method? I read to lightly tap on the wood and rotate the prop to balance the impacts. I don't want to damage the shaft or mess up the alignment. Thanks!

Edited by pmm009

it depends on how hard it's on there.   If you use the wood - hit the base of the prop near the shaft, not the blades.   Just loosen the prop nut about 1 turn first so it doesn't come flying off when the prop releases.  

when installing put the prop on without the key and mark the shaft.  Then put the key in and make sure it's to the same spot.  It's easiest if the key slot is facing up.

A prop tool is a pretty cheap tool considering.  If your prop has been on there for several seasons it is going to take more than a few taps with a hammer.  If you search stuck props on this site you will see what it takes sometimes. 

I had to build a real prop puller when I removed the stainless prop from my boat (that had been on for roughly 15 years).  Whacking it with my biggest purse didn't budge it.

ewPR4Eg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1