Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Malibu MLX Wedge issue

charlesjines

I purchased at 2020 Malibu MLX a couple months ago and were really enjoying it.  Yesterday we took out the boat and everything was working great and then we started having issues with the wedge.  The screen said the wedge was deployed when it was not.  I was able to run the wedge up and down with the debug program on the side screen but there was no indication on the main screen that the wedge was doing anything.  The main screen showed the wedge in position 4 and would not change.  Im sure this is a warrantly issue but I cant get the boat into the dealer until Oct and we want to use the boat with the wedge.  Any suggestions where to check?  I had our 50 hour oil change and empellar replaced before this outing and I wonder if the mechanic pinched a wire or something in the motor that would be a sensor.  However,  the problem didnt start until we were out on the lake for a while. I also looked in the motor compartment and wiring and did not notice anything.  Any thoughts?  

Edited by charlesjines
ahopkins22LSV

I would double check the wire connections again. The waterproof connectors take some force to get snapped together properly and one may look connected but actually not. This just happened with one of our underwater lights. Other than that, you could keep using the debug screen to move the wedge until you can get it to your dealer. This could be a bad sensor on the wedge though. There isn't any way you can get it to your dealer sooner? Are they backed up that far or just can't get the boat there?

• Like 1

Ill try those connections and see if if its something like that.  Seems like that would be the case since the wedge operates with the debug screen.  

We bought our boat at Boulder Boats in Las Vegas and they dont have appointments available until Oct.  I had to do the break in service and 50 hour service at other boat shops.  Just supplied them with the oil, filter and empellar.  I definitely need to learn how to do my own oil changes and how to change that empellar so we dont have to wait for appointments.  

Thanks for the info.  

Edited by charlesjines

Problem with these new wedge assemblies is that the engineers decided they know best and made them non-adjustable, unlike the older ones. So the only thing that can be done is to use the other back up sensor they built into the assembly by unpinning the current sensor and pinning in the second one.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, COOP said:

Problem with these new wedge assemblies is that the engineers decided they know best and made them non-adjustable, unlike the older ones. So the only thing that can be done is to use the other back up sensor they built into the assembly by unpinning the current sensor and pinning in the second one.

Where abouts are the sensors located?  Thanks for the help.  Im new to this type of boat but learning fast and not afraid to get my hands dirty.  

On 8/27/2020 at 7:32 AM, charlesjines said:

Ill try those connections and see if if its something like that.  Seems like that would be the case since the wedge operates with the debug screen.  

We bought our boat at Boulder Boats in Las Vegas and they dont have appointments available until Oct.  I had to do the break in service and 50 hour service at other boat shops.  Just supplied them with the oil, filter and empellar.  I definitely need to learn how to do my own oil changes and how to change that empellar so we dont have to wait for appointments.  

Thanks for the info.  

I think people who just spent 100k+ on a new boat should have service preference.  You waiting till October for an appointment and you having to take it somewhere else for your 50 hour service is kinda crappy.  I had a couple things pop up on my 2020 23 MXZ and my dealer drove 6 hours round trip to come get it, fix it and re-park it in my driveway.  

Edited by dwc032
11 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

I think people who just spent 100k+ on a boat should have service preference.  You waiting till October for an appointment and you having to take it somewhere else for your 50 hour service is kinda crappy.  I had a couple things pop up on my 2020 23 MXZ and my dealer drove 6 hours round trip to come get it, fix it and re-park it in my driveway.  

I do agree. I would not make someone who just bought a boat wait.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:15 AM, COOP said:

I do agree. I would not make someone who just bought a boat wait.

I guess that would depend.  If they were the only person who bought a new boat that would make sense, but what if 100 other people bought new boats before they did and also need service or repairs?  Should everyone drop their boat off at the shop at once and then let it sit there until the work can be done?  Imagine if 100 people had a toothache and decided to go to the same dentist on the same day.  I just had to make an appointment for a driver's licence renewal last Tuesday, for November 11th.

13 minutes ago, csleaver said:

I guess that would depend.  If they were the only person who bought a new boat that would make sense, but what if 100 other people bought new boats before they did and also need service or repairs?  Should everyone drop their boat off at the shop at once and then let it sit there until the work can be done?  Imagine if 100 people had a toothache and decided to go to the same dentist on the same day.  I just had to make an appointment for a driver's licence renewal last Tuesday, for November 11th.

comparing gov inefficiency to a private business desiring to keep its customers vs  owning your cust like gov isn't very accurate 

• 4 months later...

I think this may be the same issue I am experiencing with my 2020 25lsv.

My boat is in saltwater.

The issue I see is that for the first 10 minutes in the water the wedge sensor works properly, but after 10 minutes it starts reporting the wedge is down in different positions.

I got another sensor and put it on the boat and ran into an issue where the new sensor doesn't go all the way up, so this is some kind of calibration problem, so I still need help figuring this out.  

I stripped the heatshrink off the old sensor, and I found a splice which is outside the boat and under the waterline.  The splice has no protection other than heat shrink, so I think saltwater is seeping under the heatshrink and allowing the sensor wire to conduct to ground, causing the display to say the wedge is down.  I also can feel that the replacement sensor has splices in the exact same spot.

I suspect that the factory got sensors with short wires for whatever reason, when they should have gotten longer wires to avoid this problem. 

I got the replacement sensor off a wrecked boat because my dealer can't get a sensor from malibu right now due to covid.  It is possible that new sensors from the factory correct the splice problem, perhaps others can comment on this?

I am attempting to silicon around the splice, then recover the wire with two layers of heat shrink to avoid the problem.  

I didn't take pictures when I had it stripped down, wish I had now.

The splice is around the area where the wire goes through the wedge side bracket, and it looks like a bulge in the heat shrink.  

martinarcher

That's a bummer and I think you're on the right track since salt water is conductive.  I might put the heat shrink loose and fill it with silicone from the end and then shrink it on the splice, then repeat with a second layer using a longer piece of shrink to cover the ends of the first.  The bad news is you have to fit both pieces on the wires when you start.  Not sure how much slack you have.

9 hours ago, MalibuGreg said:

I think this may be the same issue I am experiencing with my 2020 25lsv.

My boat is in saltwater.

The issue I see is that for the first 10 minutes in the water the wedge sensor works properly, but after 10 minutes it starts reporting the wedge is down in different positions.

I got another sensor and put it on the boat and ran into an issue where the new sensor doesn't go all the way up, so this is some kind of calibration problem, so I still need help figuring this out.  

I stripped the heatshrink off the old sensor, and I found a splice which is outside the boat and under the waterline.  The splice has no protection other than heat shrink, so I think saltwater is seeping under the heatshrink and allowing the sensor wire to conduct to ground, causing the display to say the wedge is down.  I also can feel that the replacement sensor has splices in the exact same spot.

I suspect that the factory got sensors with short wires for whatever reason, when they should have gotten longer wires to avoid this problem. 

I got the replacement sensor off a wrecked boat because my dealer can't get a sensor from malibu right now due to covid.  It is possible that new sensors from the factory correct the splice problem, perhaps others can comment on this?

I am attempting to silicon around the splice, then recover the wire with two layers of heat shrink to avoid the problem.  

I didn't take pictures when I had it stripped down, wish I had now.

The splice is around the area where the wire goes through the wedge side bracket, and it looks like a bulge in the heat shrink.  

it is supposed to be an uncut wire with leads to pass through transom and then leads plug to a male female plug high  on transom wire tied to transom above bilge flood level , power wedge or auto set wedge the concept should be the same for the reasons your quoting