Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Bluetooth dongle

pawter1970

Whats the best Bluetooth dongle out there for RFX3000, which will be plugged in the AUX input. The Medallion bluetooth on the MTC (2013 22MXZ) sounds really bad, i've read a few trends on this and looks like adding another dongle is the way to go but did anyone try to just replace the RCA wires? 

Edited by pawter1970
7 hours ago, pawter1970 said:

but did anyone try to just replace the RCA wires? 

Been awhile, but I dont recall there being any RCA patch cables. Unit plugged directly to the black box's AUX RCA input pigtails. 

ahopkins22LSV
16 hours ago, pawter1970 said:

Whats the best Bluetooth dongle out there for RFX3000, which will be plugged in the AUX input. The Medallion bluetooth on the MTC (2013 22MXZ) sounds really bad, i've read a few trends on this and looks like adding another dongle is the way to go but did anyone try to just replace the RCA wires? 

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3Wy5rAeCJIU/p_13691126/JL-Audio-MBT-RX.html

Best and easiest modification I made on our 2013 TXi.

if you have a place to put a rocker switch im thinking you dont have but would have to cut?, the WS BT Rocker Switch transceiver is a complete control station including:

power on off

pause play,

track advance reverse,

phone volume

auto connect to last bluetooth device last used at power on 

snd remote power out for amps, etc. that you dont need

we never have to touch phone , just the trsnsceiver controls and if you wanted it can be a stand alone source for $100

we end up using 420 EQ for volume and zone control because it is an easy knob snd leave phone or transceiver on high volume

with the dongle does it auto connect at power up?  i guess you have controls in the maliview screen to track and pause play, or none??? or do you have to use phone?

Edited by granddaddy55

I've been looking for similar; but for Apple Airplay.  Airplay has longer distance; and supports much higher quality output than Bluetooth.  They are everywhere for home audio receivers and portable speakers; I can't believe no one makes one for cars or boats.

I have found this....but it seems like alot of boxes to check to make it work

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradmoon/2019/11/23/how-to-add-airplay-wireless-streaming-to-any-audio-system/#64f3ba8c62a8

On 8/29/2020 at 8:17 AM, tower210 said:

I've been looking for similar; but for Apple Airplay.  Airplay has longer distance; and supports much higher quality output than Bluetooth.  They are everywhere for home audio receivers and portable speakers; I can't believe no one makes one for cars or boats.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradmoon/2019/11/23/how-to-add-airplay-wireless-streaming-to-any-audio-system/#64f3ba8c62a8

The JL Audio one posted above (which is the exact same unit as the Exile Audio bluetooth receiver, so you buy whichever is cheaper) both have AptX.  That is better than CD quality, so you should be good there.  The range is more than enough for a boat.

On 8/29/2020 at 7:17 AM, tower210 said:

Fusion Apollo RA-770 is what I put in my boat to get Airplay. Apt-X is an unsupported codec on iPhones unfortunately. I wanted Airplay bad enough to do the fabrication and modding to make the head unit fit. It’s significant.  But the results are awesome. Before this I had the hacked Airport Express method like you linked above.  I still have that type of setup in my car.  Only down side is you don’t get song info on your screen.  Your phone is entirely your head unit.  Which is fine for me. YMMV  

And +1 to the JL (or Exile) Bluetooth dongle.  Used it for years with great results.

5EF32A1B-B45B-4586-8A64-BDA673FA7BF5.thumb.jpeg.05207f668aea922355c8d81a1c4a89f1.jpeg

Edited by Slurpee
2 hours ago, Slurpee said:

Fusion Apollo RA-770 is what I put in my boat to get Airplay. Apt-X is an unsupported codec on iPhones unfortunately.

Wouldn't it has been easier (and probably cheaper) to dump the iPhone for a superior Android phone?  Or find a Bluetooth dongle that does AAC if you must keep iOS?

51 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Wouldn't it has been easier (and probably cheaper) to dump the iPhone for a superior Android phone?  Or find a Bluetooth dongle that does AAC if you must keep iOS?

Possibly. I’m sort of wholly committed to the Apple ecosystem at this point family wide. So there’s that.  

And in this next point I might be wrong. But when I last looked AAC wasn’t even as good as the baseline Bluetooth SBC in terms of frequency range or fidelity when being used over Bluetooth. It’s too bulky a protocol to shove over the Bluetooth bandwidth. So when you find those dongles they actually measure and sound worse. Which was a surprise to me at the time. But data was data.