Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warning about wakemakers prop performance guarantee purchase

bass10a

Not exactly thrilled with their version of a performance guarantee.  Bought a 1273 prop, not 100% thrilled with it and would like to try a 1941 as we’re on a big lake.  My boat is stored 45 min away as well.  Paid $50 for their performance guarantee and called to see if they’ll ship me the 1941 to try and I’ll send back one of the two I don’t like- NOPE. Ok then I’ll buy the 1941 and ship back the one I don’t like and then credit my card... NOPE.  I’ll pay for shipping... NOPE.   Have to send back the first one, Then get a store credit, then buy the second one.  Then buy another performance guarantee with that one in case I want to go back to the first one.  What a sham. Their theory is “we don’t want two used props” I understand that, but I’m keeping one so you’ll only have 1 used prop and if one is damaged I’ll buy them both as I get you can’t take that back. If we go about it their route they’d potentially  two used props.  I’ve had nothing but positive experiences up until now but there’s several prop retailers that offer much better service and willing to work with you. 

Edited by bass10a
3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

OJ (Eric Johnson) is the same as Acme.  Top notch customer service.

Not when dealing with his garbage prop puller.  I had to get the vendor involved to get my money back.

4 hours ago, bass10a said:

Not exactly thrilled with their version of a performance guarantee.  Bought a 1273 prop, not 100% thrilled with it and would like to try a 1941 as we’re on a big lake.

What's with the 14.5" props?  Go 15".  If the 1273 was too aggressive, try a 2247.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

Not when dealing with his garbage prop puller.  I had to get the vendor involved to get my money back.

What's with the 14.5" props?  Go 15".  If the 1273 was too aggressive, try a 2247.

i read an post with you and "gorilla" and reached out to him about it actually he really liked the 1273 better than the 2247 15" as the created more drag and reduced top speed and couldnt get to 5200 on this boat w monsoon and he didn't notice much holeshot difference, he did want to try the 2249 i believe...  The second challenge i have is the trailer would need to be modified as i maybe have less than 1/4"  now going from the 381 to the 1273.   But i know from my searches you know a lot more than I, and now that i got you in here do you think ill see much difference with the 1941 and 1273 in the cruising range?  im at 3500 rpm now to do about 26mph unloaded and just me in the boat. I feel there maybe is an inbetween to get the rpm down in that range, but don't want to lose too much of the torque im getting in the 1273 and not be able to be loaded down so trying to find the balance...   That said the boat is night and day with the 1273 vs 381, feels like its an absolute torque monster and took 1100 sacs in the rears at max capacity full tank plus full mid and wedge in max position straight past wakeboard speed without flinching. It would turn 5250rpm and topped out around 43gps. 381 i was only getting 41mph and 4900 rpm..    I don't so much care about top speed but using it as an indicator of cruising speed.  The only lake we go to is about 18 miles long and we will do that up and back often, sometimes not even breaking out the boards depending on kid situation.. i also have an 07 23' sunscape with diamond hull so that should help it stay up some i'd imagine

Edited by bass10a
7 hours ago, bass10a said:

i read an post with you and "gorilla" and reached out to him about it actually he really liked the 1273 better than the 2247 15" as the created more drag and reduced top speed and couldnt get to 5200 on this boat w monsoon and he didn't notice much holeshot difference, he did want to try the 2249 i believe...  The second challenge i have is the trailer would need to be modified as i maybe have less than 1/4"  now going from the 381 to the 1273.   But i know from my searches you know a lot more than I, and now that i got you in here do you think ill see much difference with the 1941 and 1273 in the cruising range?  im at 3500 rpm now to do about 26mph unloaded and just me in the boat. I feel there maybe is an inbetween to get the rpm down in that range, but don't want to lose too much of the torque im getting in the 1273 and not be able to be loaded down so trying to find the balance...   That said the boat is night and day with the 1273 vs 381, feels like its an absolute torque monster and took 1100 sacs in the rears at max capacity full tank plus full mid and wedge in max position straight past wakeboard speed without flinching. It would turn 5250rpm and topped out around 43gps. 381 i was only getting 41mph and 4900 rpm..    I don't so much care about top speed but using it as an indicator of cruising speed.  The only lake we go to is about 18 miles long and we will do that up and back often, sometimes not even breaking out the boards depending on kid situation.. i also have an 07 23' sunscape with diamond hull so that should help it stay up some i'd imagine

If you only have 1/4" on the trailer, I would fix that regardless of 14.5" vs 15" prop.  That is too damn close; any weird angle, slight bunk flex, something hitting under the prop guard and you will touch the prop.  

The 1941 would cruise better but will also loose a lot of pulling power.  It is less aggressive than a 2247/2249.