Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

considering buying a 2020 22 MXZ and hoping for feedback


Recommended Posts

Hello crew,

I am considering buying a 2020 22 MXZ. The boat is new and will come with stock ballast and PnP bags in the rear. Does anyone have any experreince surfing behid a 2020 (or similar year) 22 MXZ? 

TY,

Chris

Link to comment

If your M240 signature is correct then you know have one of the best surf boats out there.  The 22MXZ would be a step down.  As always Demo.  Let us know what you think.  

 

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, ORMailbuboater said:

If your M240 signature is correct then you know have one of the best surf boats out there.  The 22MXZ would be a step down.  As always Demo.  Let us know what you think.  

 

Hi ORMalibuboater,

I need to update my avatar - the M240 is gone. Let's just say my M240 had some challanges. The dealer was great throughout but in the end, I decided to move away from that boat. Water test is a great idea. 

TY,

Chris

Link to comment

I have a '17 22 MXZ. I'm thinking about trading up to a 24 MXZ, or over to a, gasp, Ri245. I need a bigger engine than the 410 at 4000 feet elevation, and I really want a quieter motor. 

I have a couple posts on here this week, outlining what I found works for us. I have 1300 lb PnP in the rear, 200 lb of steel bags in the port side walk through, 200 lb in the compartment in front of the steering wheel, and 400 lb in the nose compartmemt. Since I added the steel shot bags, my RPM and fuel consumption have dropped, and my engine can just keep up at the 11 to 11.6 MPH we prefer to surf at. 

Let me know if I can answer any questions. I'm not a surf expert like many here, but after 3 seasons of working on this wave, I think I have it pretty dialed in. 

20200823-201207.jpg

Link to comment

I love my 2019 22'mxz...it's taken some lead in the front to get the wave dialed in and has a couple small issues but overall I love the boat. I May go to a 23' or 24' in a couple years for no good reason. It is true that the 409 will run out of steam under heavy loads and/or high altitude situations and it can be tough to get the bow to drop and get it to plane out. People love the wave though, super fun boat.  

Link to comment

I'm considering replacing my '17 22 MXZ specifically because the 410 with the 2249 prop doesn't hack it at 4000 feet ASL. I have tried to get in touch with Acme, to see if there is a better prop option, but I can't get a response from them. Adding lead to the nose has helped, but I'm still running 4000 plus RPM, when surfing, at max throttle. It's loud as hell at that RPM. I would never again spec a 410 for a boat with more than, about, 6,000 lb displacement at 4,000 feet ASL. 

I would love to see them fit the new Ford 7.3 Liter gas engine in there. It is tunable to 600 HP while staying naturally aspirated. I know it's not happening any time soon, but a guy can dream. 

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, bigskydoc said:

I'm considering replacing my '17 22 MXZ specifically because the 410 with the 2249 prop doesn't hack it at 4000 feet ASL. I have tried to get in touch with Acme, to see if there is a better prop option, but I can't get a response from them. Adding lead to the nose has helped, but I'm still running 4000 plus RPM, when surfing, at max throttle. It's loud as hell at that RPM. I would never again spec a 410 for a boat with more than, about, 6,000 lb displacement at 4,000 feet ASL. 

I would love to see them fit the new Ford 7.3 Liter gas engine in there. It is tunable to 600 HP while staying naturally aspirated. I know it's not happening any time soon, but a guy can dream. 

 

Link to comment

First of all, on flathead or whitefish, your not at 4000 ft. You’re less than 3000. 4000 rpms is too high for that boat. You must still be running bow high. The new md6 di is an amazing engine, never run out of power in my 2020 23 lsv23 consider buying a longer boat . Your wave looks huge, but I’m sure it’s really short. When you progress with surfing, you will enjoy the length of the wave, more than extreme height. Bigger pockets are more fun than a 4 ft tall wave.  No one likes to surf close to the boat. Your surfing skills will get a lot better. Also, the faster you go, the firmer the wave, the better you can get air, and surface tricks. This is coming from a guy that used to run 5000 lbs of ballast. Good luck, hope you buy the 24, with the m6di.

Edited by surfdude
Link to comment
On 8/26/2020 at 9:06 PM, surfdude said:

First of all, on flathead or whitefish, your not at 4000 ft. You’re less than 3000...

Good luck, hope you buy the 24, with the m6di.

Interesting bit of Trivia there, but it's not particularly germane to my situation.  I rarely launch on either lake.  It may be a consideration for Scootflies, who brought up the performancee at elevation question, or the OP. 

90% of my boating is done on McGregor, elevation 3998 feet.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

What RPM do you think I should be running on my Indmar 410 with the 1.76 tranny and 2249 prop?  The dealer seems to think that 4k is about right. What ballast setup would you recommend?  Any modifications that might improve performance?  Different prop?  Are you saying I should be surfing faster than the 11.6 MPH I mentioned earlier in this thread?

To bring the nose down further, I can either reduce weight in the rear, which my testing shows reduces the length and strength of the wave, or increase the weight in the nose, I'm already leaning this direction.  I suppose I could also reduce total displacement, and buy longer boards for everyone, or just buy a longer boat with bigger engine. #rubhands #evilgrin

With my current setup, the furthest back I can get on the wave, before being unable to recover, is right at 14'10", measured from the trailing edge of the swim deck.  You think that I should be pursuing an even longer wave?

I agree with your recommendation to outfit 22 MXZ and 23 LSV class boats with the bigger M6Di.  When elevation is a concern, the Indmar 410 is just too small, and I suspect the M5Di is too.

I'm pretty satisfied with my setup, except for the noise and the fact that I'm right on the bleeding edge of what the boat is capable of.  It's hard to believe just how much quieter the newer boats are. 

Hopefully the M6Di will be sufficient at 4000', in the 24MXZ, if I go this route. I'm leaning toward the LT4 though.  I don't want to find myself dealing with the same issue of having barely adequate power. 

Link to comment
21 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

Interesting bit of Trivia there, but it's not particularly germane to my situation.  I rarely launch on either lake.  It may be a consideration for Scootflies, who brought up the performancee at elevation question, or the OP. 

90% of my boating is done on McGregor, elevation 3998 feet.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

What RPM do you think I should be running on my Indmar 410 with the 1.76 tranny and 2249 prop?  The dealer seems to think that 4k is about right. What ballast setup would you recommend?  Any modifications that might improve performance?  Different prop?  Are you saying I should be surfing faster than the 11.6 MPH I mentioned earlier in this thread?

To bring the nose down further, I can either reduce weight in the rear, which my testing shows reduces the length and strength of the wave, or increase the weight in the nose, I'm already leaning this direction.  I suppose I could also reduce total displacement, and buy longer boards for everyone, or just buy a longer boat with bigger engine. #rubhands #evilgrin

With my current setup, the furthest back I can get on the wave, before being unable to recover, is right at 14'10", measured from the trailing edge of the swim deck.  You think that I should be pursuing an even longer wave?

I agree with your recommendation to outfit 22 MXZ and 23 LSV class boats with the bigger M6Di.  When elevation is a concern, the Indmar 410 is just too small, and I suspect the M5Di is too.

I'm pretty satisfied with my setup, except for the noise and the fact that I'm right on the bleeding edge of what the boat is capable of.  It's hard to believe just how much quieter the newer boats are. 

Hopefully the M6Di will be sufficient at 4000', in the 24MXZ, if I go this route. I'm leaning toward the LT4 though.  I don't want to find myself dealing with the same issue of having barely adequate power. 

Sorry bigskydoc, I guess I just assumed you boated a those lakes, cause they are closer. 14’10” back from the platform is really impressive, for a boat of that length. I think you are just expecting to much out of your engine when you load your boat up like that. with all those tubs filled in the bow. You might try a 2447 prop with more cup, for less slip, but I don’t think it’s gonna help that much. My old 22 lsv with the 2247 turned about 3450 when I was running a bow bag. Same transmission ratio, at 3580 ft. Sounds to me like you need a bigger boat, with a bigger engine, For what you want to do.  Hell, with a 25 lsv, and the right engine, with bow weight, I bet you could get 25 ft back!😆 cheers! Surfdude

Edited by surfdude
Link to comment
23 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

 

“With my current setup, the furthest back I can get on the wave, before being unable to recover, is right at 14'10", measured from the trailing edge of the swim deck.  You think that I should be pursuing an even longer wave?“

yes, i get that and more out of a well listed ‘14 A 20,  not the greatest surf hull,  so with these new created for surfing hulls you should be able to create a longer yet still surf style wave 

edit:  i guess you may still have older style 22mxz? redesigned ‘18/19?  but based on size of boat you still should get more than 15 ft 

 

Edited by granddaddy55
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...