Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

response lxi vs sunsetter lxi

Bwoody16

How much room would one be giving up in a response LXI vs sunsetter LXI?  looking at both models now and sunsetters have been talked about having more freeboard and bigger and better for open water vs the response being more slalom boat. Sunsetters seem to be rare and $$ when you can find one vs newer same hour response lxi's

thanks for the help. 

well, when someone is skiing from the pylon, the space difference between the two boats is pretty much negligible.  But the Sunsetter is better if you plan on actually putting adult people in the bow from time to time and has a lot more storage space.  Not only is there more freeboard, but the seats are higher.  In the bow and under the observer seat, this means more storage.  If looking at a newer one with the 3 piece rear seat setup, ditto for those storage locations.  And the trunk is a lot bigger (which is both good and bad when it's time to step over it.

• Like 3

I have a sunsetter lxi and my ski buddy has a response lxi.  Pretty much what UWSkier said.  To me the main thing is the trunk storage advantage.  They ski about identical. 

Edited by SkiPablo

I don’t think they are that rare,  there were several for sale by me this year.  But it is hard to find anything right now bc of the Rona mess. 

Edited by SkiPablo

Very true,  guess the ones out there listed now are super high 25,000+  and they seem to go really quick.  If you see one around let me know im willing to travel for the right boat.  

Yeah I have noticed that.  Figured out how to use facebook marketplace a little better and got a few to pop up.  Thanks for the help UWSkier, appreciate you answering my stupid questions.  I have noticed after doing quite a bit of searching these SSLXI's seem lot higher than previous years.  Wondering if they are really getting asking prices?

spoke w/ a guy on the lake this past Saturday who just sold his SSLXI in 1 day at his asking price of $25Kish

Edited by DonT
clarified

Based on my search and buying, I'd bet lots of SSLXIs are selling in the $20-23k range.  I was looking at the height of the shutdowns before people started really snapping up motorized toys.  The whole thing makes me tempted to throw mine up for a ridiculous price just to see if I could get it and start over in the spring.

Edit:  to your original question, the extra storage is nice, especially if you don't live on the lake and need to take a day's worth of gear with you.  I don't really use it, but like the higher freeboard.  It makes me feel more secure when out sharing the lake with surf boats.

Edited by Badger

badger, I think there is plenty out there with a ridiculous price.  Check only inboards one on there for 34,500 and another for 31,000.  2 I have called on have both been at 27,000.  One in Utah was bought earlier this spring for 19,000 and now up for sale for 27,000 with 30 more hours, guy didn't even bother to take new pictures, just used the ones from the dealership.  Im hoping to land into one for 20-22, to me that would be fair for the right boat. 

On 8/24/2020 at 11:26 PM, SkiPablo said:

I don’t think they are that rare,  there were several for sale by me this year.  But it is hard to find anything right now bc of the Rona mess. 

Took me 2.5 years to find one in my price range.

Steve B.

@Bwoody16 - I suggest you peruse the resource tab on this site, lots of information at your fingertips including specs that will help you visualize the difference between the two boats of interest.  Happy shopping.  If you read the member comments on this site for Sunsetter owners, they are very much a group of happy owners.

@Woodski  thanks I’ve gotten more familiar with the site and have looked at that quite a bit now. I think the sunsetter lxi would check all our boxes. Now to to find one precovid prices. 

23 minutes ago, Bwoody16 said:

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1AVrglKCgnZ0ErG-IKBmrfydhsg9RUnZd  Any alarming issues you guys see. Trying to make a deal on this one. 

Nothing alarming.  Those are nice hi-res pics.  It's a nice looking '03.  Few things I notice looking at the pics.  No show-stoppers.

• seat bolster on observer side has a mark
  • Tachometer broken in the combo gauge (common)
  • Split rear seat seam (common)
  • Transom oxidation (common)
  • Can't tell if the hull just has weeds stuck to it or if those are gouges/scrapes.  Even if the latter, they're repairable.
  • Looks like someone pulled some carpet threads off the back of the doghouse.
  • Port side doghouse hinge isn't mounted in correct location/orientation.
  • Trunk is missing gas lift struts
  • Trunk is a bit grungy
  • Shower probably doesn't work (since they've removed the hose assembly)
  • Screw backed out of forward trunk liner
  • Leaking exhaust riser/manifold junction (needs new gasket on the starboard side)
  • Carpet could use a power-washing or shampooing throughout.
  • Various little cuts, nicks, smudges on the vinyl
  • No heater
  • That JBL stereo is the OEM unit, which means maybe those remotes on the transom and by the driver's right leg actually still work.  CD changer is a blast from the past.

It's a boat that's definitely been used, but doesn't look abused.  Also, if it comes with the boom, it's a turn-key family rig.

Edited by UWSkier

I'm pretty technical and that gauge is not easy to fix (i tried) and at some poing the lcd portion may die too.  Not a deal breaker, just be prepared to spend 800 on a new perfect pass module and display.   That boat looks nice overall, did you lake test it ?

• Like 1

@SkiPabloMade an offer, hes got a higher offer, if it falls though hopefully ill get a shot. Looking at this one now

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/673810853400321/

its got more hours, trying to negotiate price now. 

made and offer on this boat also.  hes gone down 2000, trying to get him down another 2

https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/boa/d/park-city-2001-malibu-sunsetter-lxi-new/7185590698.html

Edited by Bwoody16
added links
34 minutes ago, Bwoody16 said:

@SkiPabloMade an offer, hes got a higher offer, if it falls though hopefully ill get a shot. Looking at this one now

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/673810853400321/

its got more hours, trying to negotiate price now. 

made and offer on this boat also.  hes gone down 2000, trying to get him down another 2

https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/boa/d/park-city-2001-malibu-sunsetter-lxi-new/7185590698.html

The Park city boat might have been the one I saw at the lake last Saturday....we were both skiing and the boat seemed to be running strong and in great shape, but obviously I wasn't in it.  We talked for a few minutes across the water about it.

@DonT  Bryan is the guys name who has it for sale.  Searching the internet, he bought it this spring from tillysmarine.  If he gets it sold for asking price hes going to make some good money.  I offered him 22,000.