Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

20 VTX m5 or m6 motor

Weave

I currently own an ‘03 sunsetter lxi, with a 330 monsoon.   We love to Slalom ski recreationally, but I hope to hit a course some day.  

Kids are now old enough to enjoy water sports, and we have enjoyed surfing and wakeboarding. The 20 VTX seems like a good fit for our family.  

With the 20VTX is the m5 enough for a big guy getting out of the hole in a slalom, or would I ever wish for the m6 engine.  

Thanks.

Edited by Weave
Spelling error
38 minutes ago, Weave said:

I currently own an ‘03 sunsetter lxi, with a 330 monsoon.   We love to Slalom ski recreationally, but I hope to hit a course some day.  

Kids are now old enough to enjoy water sports, and we have enjoyed surfing and wakeboarding. The 20 VTX seems like a good fit for our family.  

With the 20VTX is the m5 enough for a big guy getting out of the hole in a slalom, or would I ever wish for the m6 engine.  

Thanks.

I’ve never thought to myself “I wish I had less motor”. However for slalom purposes the extra weight may be a detriment. 

I’d defer to someone with more slalom experience like @ahopkinsVTX

1 hour ago, AxleGrease99 said:

I’ve never thought to myself “I wish I had less motor”. However for slalom purposes the extra weight may be a detriment. 

The weight between the M5 (GM L83) and M6 (GM L86...no people, it isn't an LT1) is negligible.  

You'll have zero issues getting out of the hole with the M5 in that boat. I know @ahopkinsVTX is on vacation this week but he was shocked by how strong the M5 is in that hull. If you were looking to plane out a fully ballasted 23 LSV for wakeboarding it'd be a different story but for your intended use and that hull, use the money you'd spend on the M6 to do other upgrades... Or pocket it. That's what I would do... 🤣 

Edited by UWSkier
ahopkins22LSV

Our 2020 20 VTX has the M5, 1:50:1 transmission and the OJ 950 prop. It’s a very strong pull out of the hole. Much better than the pcm crusader 6.0 409 we had in our 2019. The M5 has great torque through the throttle and is very snappy. I couldn’t believe how much more powerful it feels. With that setup we ski at 34 mph turning mid 4000’s and surf with full ballast plus some lead at 34-3600 rpms. No issues getting to surf speed and even though I’ve found 10.6 to be the sweet spot, it can get to 11 or 11.2 no problem. 

All that said, I’m an fairly low elevation in Michigan. If you are 3000+ I’d go M6 no question. Even in the 2-3000 range I’d strongly consider it and probably go with it. 

Skied for the first time behind the 20VTX,   Definitely, had to find the sweet spot in the wake.  First couple attempts the wake seemed really aggressive, and yet soft at the same time, Changing rope length, speed and front ballast seemed to help.   We are going to love this boat as an all day boat.  Ski in the morning when the water is nice, surf/wakeboard when the water is rough.  

The M5 is plenty of power. Quickest out the hole for me in years.

Thanks

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Weave said:

Skied for the first time behind the 20VTX,   Definitely, had to find the sweet spot in the wake.  First couple attempts the wake seemed really aggressive, and yet soft at the same time, Changing rope length, speed and front ballast seemed to help.   We are going to love this boat as an all day boat.  Ski in the morning when the water is nice, surf/wakeboard when the water is rough.  

Thanks

Great to hear!! It’s a truly amazing boat and the surf wave is incredibly good for a 20 foot boat. I continue to be blown away by the performance to be honest with you. Post pictures of your design and the boat when the time comes! We love pictures. :)

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Thanks

@Bwoody16 is looking for a Sunsetter LXi. Have you listed your boat for sale yet? 

33 minutes ago, AussieSkier said:

i didn't think they could fit the M6 in the VTX. Thats what we have been told in Aus.

IIRC it is basically the same size on the outside (same block); the cylinder bore is bigger and the stroke is identical.   

Edited by jjackkrash