Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boatmate trailer brakes locked while backing up driveway

jaciche

Alright, tonight was really frustrating. When I got back home, I tried to back the boat up my driveway which is about a 5-10% grade of elevation from the street. Once the boat got up on the driveway with the truck on the street, the trailer brakes would engage again and again, pretty much in the same spot. The trailer wouldn't move backwards from then on. I noticed that the sliding tongue would start in the most forward position while I started my many backup attempts from the street. Once the brakes engaged, the axle on the sliding tongue was all the way towards the rear of the slot.

My question is: Is this a mechanical or electrical issue? I thought one of the trailer wires was supposed to be hot while the vehicle backing lights were on which would override the master cylinder? Maybe I'm wrong. The trailer is a 2004 Boatmate tandem axle. Thanks for your help in advance

Edited by jaciche
Trailer specs

Most often the issue I find is a fuse blown in the truck for the reverse light backup to the trailer connector.  Other times it is just a bad connection on the trailer plug to truck receptacle.  Check your truck owner manual to find and check the fuse, unplug and then plug the trailer connector back in several times to get a good connection.

It is possible that the backup release valve or wiring on the trailer has an issue, but there is a manual backup lockout key available for UFP actuators when this happens.

https://www.amazon.com/ShoreLandr-7010169-Lockout-Brake-Mount/dp/B00CSSW2S0/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2WB2FXDCR0KR9&dchild=1&keywords=ufp+lockout+key&qid=1598200740&sprefix=Ufp+lockoit%2Caps%2C316&sr=8-6

There are also several others available if you search for UFP lockout key.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I had brake issues last summer, similar to this. Make sure you have brake fluid fresh (so it compresses properly, boat trailers are obviously exposed to lots of moisture and brake fluid absorbs moisture over time making it less effective) and it is topped off.  One of the issues I had is the pad (even though lots of life on it) because of the beating trailer brakes take getting dunked when warm/hot, completely submerged etc. came off the backing plate, but was still stuck between the backing plate/disc and sitting in there, when going forward it was not really rubbing much (it was though) and when backing up the pad would jam in like a wedge. Heck of a time figuring that one since there was not really any visual indication of that happening.  I don't put enough miles on the trailer to need brakes that often, so the pads were probably 11 years old but had plenty of pad left.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:14 PM, oldjeep said:

Electrical.  Sounds like the reverse solenoid isn't working.  It is in the tongue.  Check the ground wire on it first.

A lot of trailers have grounding issues that don't reveal themselves because they often self-ground to the vehicle through the trailer hitch.  As you were backing up it's possible that the hitch unloaded and lost this electrical ground.  The fact that it was happening in the same place makes me think this is likely.  I'd have someone watch your back-up lights and see if they are cutting out -- if they stay on but the lock-out is failing then move on to testing that solenoid.

On 8/22/2020 at 8:11 PM, jaciche said:

Alright, tonight was really frustrating. When I got back home, I tried to back the boat up my driveway which is about a 5-10% grade of elevation from the street. Once the boat got up on the driveway with the truck on the street, the trailer brakes would engage again and again, pretty much in the same spot. The trailer wouldn't move backwards from then on. I noticed that the sliding tongue would start in the most forward position while I started my many backup attempts from the street. Once the brakes engaged, the axle on the sliding tongue was all the way towards the rear of the slot.

My question is: Is this a mechanical or electrical issue? I thought one of the trailer wires was supposed to be hot while the vehicle backing lights were on which would override the master cylinder? Maybe I'm wrong. The trailer is a 2004 Boatmate tandem axle. Thanks for your help in advance

On 8/23/2020 at 9:10 PM, asnowman said:

I keep one of these on every trailer, and in each truck. All of the marinas and storage yards near me have these as well. The magnet keeps it on the trailer with no issues, even over the rough country roads around us.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254217404073

I was told that my extreme trailer 2001 will NOT work to backup without one of these.  I told the guy that is not possible I was able to back my trailer up no issue at home with it BUT my friend and I went to the launch one day and his truck would not do it.  Apparently it came down to how the trailer tongue on my truck somehow did not make it engage the brakes but on his it did.  Long story short I had problems on mine too and in the end I had to get this tool.

Funny thing is everyone at the launch had one for their trailer and I had not brought my truck so it was not there.  I have now attached mine to my trailer with some braided wire :)

BTW I love the magnetic strip on it.  I'm going to order one.  I have the basic metal ones and have to duct tape it on all the time.  That looks great!
I just attached my other to the boat with a wire but will be getting this.

Edited by Smokedvw
29 minutes ago, Smokedvw said:

I was told that my extreme trailer 2001 will NOT work to backup without one of these.  I told the guy that is not possible I was able to back my trailer up no issue at home with it BUT my friend and I went to the launch one day and his truck would not do it.  Apparently it came down to how the trailer tongue on my truck somehow did not make it engage the brakes but on his it did.  Long story short I had problems on mine too and in the end I had to get this tool.

Funny thing is everyone at the launch had one for their trailer and I had not brought my truck so it was not there.  I have now attached mine to my trailer with some braided wire :)

BTW I love the magnetic strip on it.  I'm going to order one.  I have the basic metal ones and have to duct tape it on all the time.  That looks great!
I just attached my other to the boat with a wire but will be getting this.

You know its really funny, the marina lost one of mine this past week, even though my name is engraved on it. So i needed to order a new one! So handy for moving the boats with the tractor at home!