Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone fit an RTIC Soft 40 in the under seat spot?

MustGoFast

So no surprise I'm kinda annoyed with the crappy cooler that came with the boat - but I do like the spot under the seat to store it so it's nicely out of the way especially with the baby on the boat.

I meant to measure today while I was out and forgot the tape measure but I would have guessed 15-16" of clearance from the bottom of the punt before it hit the seat based on the known height of the cooler I had with me.

So clearly the RTIC 30 soft will fit (<13" tall) - but the 40 is 17" tall and I'm thinking it's going to hit the seat - but I swear others were using it there with success (of course couldn't find any confirmation) - so if you have it in a similar boat please let me know!  Or if for some reason you know the height from the bottom of the cooler well to the point it would hit the seat that would be great - Just don't want to waste $120 on a cooler that I wont use if it doesn't fit.

Thanks...

You definitely want to keep it under the seat?  We keep it on the floor:  if the boat is crowded we place it against  the bow seats, else we put on the floor in the rear.  Under the seat seems problematic as everyone is always going for drinks and someone is sitting on the cooler.

I have a diff boat (2020 25lsv) but my rtic 40 will not fit. I can only fit 14.5” tall under my seat. 
My rtic can easily be compressed to 16” tall but 14.5” would not work. We keep the rtic on the floor. Kids are always digging in it, so the convenience is better for us. 

7028A68D-E2B1-4891-B403-CAA0213BCB93.jpeg

44AAB142-3EBF-4683-9A79-D4BADD0DBA2D.jpeg

2 hours ago, zags said:

You definitely want to keep it under the seat?  We keep it on the floor:  if the boat is crowded we place it against  the bow seats, else we put on the floor in the rear.  Under the seat seems problematic as everyone is always going for drinks and someone is sitting on the cooler.

Same here - you'll constantly be asking folks to move

Thanks for the measure @G Spot I was "guestimating" that as well...

And to everyone who commented on the location: yes I like it under the seat we're usually crewing no more than 4/5 people so it's not hard to access and we tend to move around a lot so I like the free space on the floors.  Anyone tried the sto-n-go from AO? https://aocoolers.com/38-pack-carbon-stow-n-go-black.html   Looks to be of reasonable size in that space.

Here's my AO Cooler under the starboard passenger seat in my 2018 T22.  It fits in the recessed pocket snugly and leaves plenty of room for other items to be placed around it as you can see.  I use the zippered pocket on top of the cooler to store empty grocery bags or trash bags.  I am pretty sure that at one point Axis sold this cooler as an option for the boat, which is why I knew to look for it.  I picked mine up from Sportsman's Warehouse for around $90 back in 2018.

Although making people move to access the cooler seems annoying, it is also irritating tripping over coolers on the floor when changing riders or moving about the boat.  Overall, once everyone knows where the cooler is located, they are quick and happy to move in order to provide access.

IMG_3631.jpg