Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken window on a 2010 23 lsv

Hey!  Just curious if anyone has ever replaced a part of their windshield.  I have to nail it to the States and need to get it packaged in a crate.  Where do you get crates for this and how difficult is it to remove the windshield?

It has been awhile, like 10'years, but the last PCMW glass I shipped I built my own crate.  I used a couple pallets screwed together with wood and then took apart two more pallets for material and got a bunch of screws to assemble the crate around the glass.  I put bunk carpeting around the top and bottom edges with shrink wrap tape and used nylon strap to secure the glass to the bottom of the crate.  I also put shrink tape across the rest of the glass.  There are probably a lot of ways to do it, and my way may not be the best, but it worked.

Removing and installing the glass is a real pain.  The frame screws need to be removed to take the frame off the glass.  That is the easy part.  Then I put the rubber insert around the glass and spray it liberally with silicone spray and slide it into the bottom frame, then into the top frame, then install the frame screws.  When I say 'slide', it really does not slide that easily.  I also use a small rubber mallet to carefully tap the frame onto the glass.

4 hours ago, Helene said:

Hey!  Just curious if anyone has ever replaced a part of their windshield.  I have to nail it to the States and need to get it packaged in a crate.  Where do you get crates for this and how difficult is it to remove the windshield?

How big of a crate?  I would use plywood over a frame with 2x the padding and reincorcement that you need.  I had an antique shipped up from South carolina and the vendor charged me $50 US for the crate.  It was made of Baltic Birch!  Darn near furniture quality.

Shipping will be your biggest challenge - not so much getting it there, but getting it back.  If the border was oipen, you could  transship via Montanamailbox.com (MMB) - you  just drive over the border.  But not now.  I would contact DYKPost in Calgary as yhey will do large parcels via MMB.  My aforementioned anique  would have cost hundreds in FedEx duty, handling etc. but I made the 3 hr drive instead.

BTW, is this a Taylormade windshield?