Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warranty transfer questions

BCA1313

We are looking at both new and used boats. These questions are pertaining to the used route. 

From what I understand the warranty transfer is about $1,500 and you bring it in to your local dealer to make the inspection and transfer. 

I have heard many times that when you buy a boat that the local dealer didn’t sell that you may not get help. That makes me very nervous that after paying this fee I could be put off at will when/if I need help. 

The new prices are not very aggressive and today when we looked they were quoting almost MSRP. I have 20% discount quotes on other brands so I am sure there is room. They said they would give boat show prices now but clearly they didn’t. 

I have found a few 2018/19 boats for a good savings from new and am concerned about the warranty issue. The used boats I am looking at are all out of the state so can from a different dealer. 

any insights would be greatly appreciated. 

warranty is very important with Malibu boats but I don't think there is an issue with transfer , when I sell my boat a cross the country seller buy warranty transfer from Malibu with out issues.

7 hours ago, greg2222 said:

warranty is very important with Malibu boats but I don't think there is an issue with transfer , when I sell my boat a cross the country seller buy warranty transfer from Malibu with out issues.

Does any dealer do the transfer or does it have to be the buyers local dealer?

1 hour ago, BCA1313 said:

Does any dealer do the transfer or does it have to be the buyers local dealer?

I just sold a 2018 22 VLX. The buyer was from out of state. As part of the deal he wanted me to take the boat to my dealer for the warranty transfer that way if it didn’t pass the inspection he could opt out of the deal. Any dealer can do it, but I would call and verify before purchasing with your local dealer. The boat I sold has the Raptor 410 which Ford requires a compression check to transfer the warranty. It came to about $1850 for the compression check, transfer the engine warranty, and transfer the boat warranty. 

Edited by vaporbluebu

I really do not understand the warranty transfer fee and the inspection requirement.  Also, I don’t understand why the five year trailer warranty transfer goes with the boat warranty transfer.   How is it that you can buy a Used car under warranty and it just is, no inspection, no transfer fee?

48 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

I really do not understand the warranty transfer fee and the inspection requirement.  Also, I don’t understand why the five year trailer warranty transfer goes with the boat warranty transfer.   How is it that you can buy a Used car under warranty and it just is, no inspection, no transfer fee?

Because this is the boat industry with far less regulation, the "vehicles" take care more abuse, and Malibu loves to make money at every corner.

ahopkins22LSV

Certified pre owned cars do go through inspections to be certified and have the warranty transfer. 

Keep in mine that pre 2020 and some 2019 boats at least half of the warranty transfer fee is the engine manufacturer and not Malibu. Transferring the warranty on boat with the Malibu engine in it is less because you aren’t dealing with a third party. 

5 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Certified pre owned cars do go through inspections to be certified and have the warranty transfer. 

Keep in mine that pre 2020 and some 2019 boats at least half of the warranty transfer fee is the engine manufacturer and not Malibu. Transferring the warranty on boat with the Malibu engine in it is less because you aren’t dealing with a third party. 

I may call the local dealer and ask them the price difference. That’s a good point. 

22 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

I just sold a 2018 22 VLX. The buyer was from out of state. As part of the deal he wanted me to take the boat to my dealer for the warranty transfer that way if it didn’t pass the inspection he could opt out of the deal. Any dealer can do it, but I would call and verify before purchasing with your local dealer. The boat I sold has the Raptor 410 which Ford requires a compression check to transfer the warranty. It came to about $1850 for the compression check, transfer the engine warranty, and transfer the boat warranty. 

Why does the raptor require a compression test?

22 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Must be an Indmar or Ford requirement. 

Correct, it is a Ford/Indmar requirement. I called my dealer about a 2019 with the 450 GM Monsoon and was told it was only about $900 to transfer the warranty.

• Like 1