Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu 24/7 High Altitude Prop Help

RyanatJongbloed

I'm thinking don't go back to the smaller propeller no matter what.

of course questions to answer are

What do you plan to do there surf, ski or just ride?

How does your boat perform now and at what elevation?

Pulling the kids tubing and surfing.  Put 2 tubes out and put all the kids out there at once.

Mostly take it to Shasta which is 1000 ft.  It performs fine just doesn't have a hole shot with the big prop.  

Tubing and surfing make very different demands on the propeller.

In my experience you can get by tubing with a surf propeller (the 2277) but can't always surf with a tube propeller (the 537). If you hole shot is bad a 1,000 feet (with the 2277) it'll be worse at 6,000 feet and going to a 13 1/2" propeller (the 537) won't help the hole shot.

My thinking is you need to take a different 15" propeller with a lower pitch. The 2315 or an equivalent is my guess but you should post more information about your setup and ask for someone running at 6000 feet to comment.  Also to be considered using more gas and losing top end with a more aggressive surf propeller (the 2315). I'd be a pain but I'd take a propeller puller and have a surfing morning (the 2315) then change the propeller at lunch and have a tubing/riding afternoon (the 2277). Get rid of the 537.

I'm brand new to this site and have a similar question. I live at 4500 ft, and will be using the boat here 90% of the time. Just picked up an 07 23LSV with a 5.7 and it needs a new prop. We surf 75%, wakeboard 25%. Should I go with the standard prop or something else to try to help with the 13% hp loss up here?