Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine compartment partition panel replacement

Philip

We just purchased a new to us 2012 Wakesetter MXZ 22. The plastic partition panel is missing between the engine and port side storage locker. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? I can't seem to find one online and without the panel I am hesitant to store anything back there. 

I was looking to replace a cracked one on my 2010 and at the time it was going to be  @ $250 to replace it as I recall. Passed on it and patched it up. That one was made from what looked to be PVC. The ones on my ‘19 are HDPE. Depending on what they want for a new one a cheaper route might be to make your own out of a sheet of HDPE bought on line. Just template the reverse side of the one you have.

Thanks. I was thinking it may come down to that if its not longer available. Fortunately I do still have the other side and thanks for the tip on the HDPE. I haven't removed it, but that may be what its made of or at least would make a good replacement. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought 2012 mxz and it had pop panels removed as well. Must be some hot aftermarket for these. I made new panels from lexan. Lexan has fairly high melting point. Looks great too. Can see thru to the engine.

54 minutes ago, yzrider said:

I just bought 2012 mxz and it had pop panels removed as well. Must be some hot aftermarket for these. I made new panels from lexan. Lexan has fairly high melting point. Looks great too. Can see thru to the engine.

More likely someone stuck some huge ballast sacks back there and broke them in half

Contacted the dealer and the part is no longer available so the only option was DIY. I bought a panel of 1/4" seaboard on Amazon. It's a close enough match for a hidden part, but the color and texture are a bit different.

Here is what I did and some pictures in case anybody else ends up needing to do something similar. 

I clamped the new seaboard to the original panel I have and matched up the longest two edges to reduce the amount of cutting. Then I drilled the two holes and installed bolts to keep everything from slipping. After a bit of trial and error I decided to use a jigsaw by hand to trace along the edges. Worked better than I expected. I am sure there are better ways, but with the tools I had at hand it worked. What I really wanted to do was use a router table with a template bit, but I don't have one. I tried with a template bit for a Dremel and it was looking great, but the bit broke pretty fast.

8Kzyxuhxqywv87VJ8gyW2RYzqKXcBCv-yEQOF8Pc

tbRRYJ2zt4yD-Kh--yRLdDOfpFYhN-_rzjs1b2nV\

The finished product

Tvo4gHZQX2UtvezBt-g8pBrBygaiyJwbU-CkHJBV