Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2021 Response Txi?

tru-jack

16 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

There's a guy on our ski team that wants to sell his '06SSlxi for a better slalom boat, like a Rlxi, or maybe even go older, like an Echelon (he loves mine).  Do you think he is off base?  I haven't been behind his boat to compare it to anything.

He would be best in the previous gen SSLXI, or Gen 1 RLXi if that's his desire.  

4 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

06 is not ideal at all.  Sweet spot is 99-04 (only).  99-04 were (and remain) almost world class.  05 onward?  not so...

^^^^^This, 1,000%.

@94MalibuEchelonwhile I understand your disdain for certain things in a ski boat, I have to ask....have you skied a newer TXi?  They're fantastic boats.  Not my favorite to ski behind but also not one that I would reject if given the option.  I'm fortunate to have a first gen RLXi that I likely will not sell anytime soon.  But, some of your complaints are addressed in the new boats, others I simply don't understand at all.  My platform is fiberglass.  I don't for one minute wish I had teak like my old SSLX did.  I also had carpet that, if given the choice, would prefer soft grip or decadence over the carpet any day.  It's a project that I'll take on when the vinyl is ready for replacement.  Another thing.......and it was mentioned by @85 Barefoot, there simply isn't enough of a market to justify what you're requesting.  However I do think there could be a market for a more budget friendly Axis branded slalom tug.  ICBW.

Slayer, Many thought the carbon pro fit that bill (which it did).  However, obviously Centurion doesn't even bother with making them.  Unfortunate, but the reality.  If you want a 2500# stripped boat, have to get a used one.  That said, I don't know why anyone would given the superiority of the new designs from all 3.  

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Slayer, Many thought the carbon pro fit that bill (which it did).  However, obviously Centurion doesn't even bother with making them.  Unfortunate, but the reality.  If you want a 2500# stripped boat, have to get a used one.  That said, I don't know why anyone would given the superiority of the new designs from all 3.  

I agree with you.  For me, my gen 1 RLXi does all I need it to.  While I'd love a newer offering from any of the big 3, it's simply not in the cards for us. 

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

He would be best in the previous gen SSLXI, or Gen 1 RLXi if that's his desire.  

^^^^^This, 1,000%.

So basically up until around 2014, the only good Slalom boat after 04 is the Nautique 196? I'm really only familiar with MC where the 197 wake is pretty much terrible unless you are skiing 36mph short line.

1 minute ago, Jhucke said:

So basically up until around 2014, the only good Slalom boat after 04 is the Nautique 196? I'm really only familiar with MC where the 197 wake is pretty much terrible unless you are skiing 36mph short line.

Not true.  The 196 is a great boat.  As is the Gen 1 Response LXi made from 2003-2006.  The Gen II is good as well but some prefer the Gen 1.  I'd put my RLXi against a 196 all day.  They both ski very well for their vintage.  I agree with you on the 197.  Super sexy lines on that boat, but it was not my favorite to ski behind. 

7 hours ago, Jhucke said:

No.  Rlxi is awesome, as is the response (and LX), in addition to the 196, of course.  03-06 Rlxi is coveted by many.  But there is absolutely nothing wrong w the second gen rlxi, either.  99-04 sunsetter lxis were just unicorns, and can still command darn near what they cost 20 years ago save for inflation.  I've owned 2.  Wish I had them both back.  

• Like 2
12 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

No.  Rlxi is awesome, as is the response (and LX), in addition to the 196, of course.  03-06 Rlxi is coveted by many.  But there is absolutely nothing wrong w the second gen rlxi, either.  99-04 sunsetter lxis were just unicorns, and can still command darn near what they cost 20 years ago save for inflation.  I've owned 2.  Wish I had them both back.  

I see. Sorry I took your comment as saying that they ruined the boat completely, but it appears you were just saying those certain years were best. Thanks.  I just have a feeling I'm going to be in a Malibu when I move on from 90's mastercrafts. 196 will also get a hard look.

10 minutes ago, Jhucke said:

I see. Sorry I took your comment as saying that they ruined the boat completely, but it appears you were just saying those certain years were best. Thanks.  I just have a feeling I'm going to be in a Malibu when I move on from 90's mastercrafts. 196 will also get a hard look.

I have (essentially) said that in 2005 the sunsetter lxi was essentially "ruined" for what made it so great.  But that's not the same for the response lxi iterations.

Just be careful in early 2000s as there are years where there were 3 different responses and essentially 3 different sunsetters with different letter nomenclature.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I have (essentially) said that in 2005 the sunsetter lxi was essentially "ruined" for what made it so great.  But that's not the same for the response lxi iterations.

Just be careful in early 2000s as there are years where there were 3 different responses and essentially 3 different sunsetters with different letter nomenclature.

Got it. My reading comprehension skills off the charts today.

1 hour ago, Jhucke said:

You're going to want to get into a Malibu.  Let us know when you're ready and we'll hook you up!  @85 Barefootis right on, too with respect to the response and sunsetter lines of boats with different nomenclature.  The resources section of this site has some great information to assist in differentiation across the lines, so I would recommend you take a read through some of that.

The response/196s of that era are very good ski boats.  The responses I have skied behind (and sometimes still ski behind) from that era had great slalom wakes at pretty much all speeds and line lengths.  The malibus and nautique's have a different feel behind the wheel and I personally think the nautiques track a little better and are better three-event boats if that's a concern.   No bad choice how ever you decide to go between these two brands, especially if slalom is your main bag.  I have not skied a sunsetter but have heard good things.  Also, I would personally avoid a Prostar after about 1994 maybe 1995 until the latest iteration.    The 2 1992 prostars I still ski behind are fantastic slalom tugs.  

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

From the Malibu Open, TXI used an OJ prop.  Positive comments, a world record in slalom set by Regina and several PB’s by others.  From some minimal viewing I did, slalom wake looked as good as any other watching a few 28 to 41 off passes.  No idea if any other changes.

I also see they used OJ prop but thought they also mentioned switching props?  I thought they were switching while setting up the boat for the tournament, however, I may have misunderstood. I have the std acme cnc prop on my lxi but will give my OJ a try again and report back. I do recall the OJ having a bit better hole shot and flatter wake, prior to trying the acme but to be honest the changes are quite minimal and I’ve been to lazy to switch it back. 

@tru-jack - You need to get on it, we want to know the results :whistle:   I interpreted the switching props on the broadcast to mean:  1. going from Acme to OJ and 2. testing more than one example of the OJ prop to settle on the best one.  Given a record by Regina and several PB's from other skiers, a comment that no other changes were done, perhaps there is something to the OJ prop on a TXI.  It was awesome to hear that Malibu's engineering group was actively involved in playing with the boat and accomplishing some improvements, great news for the skier aficionados who own Malibu's. 

I might also add there were some comments on gate setup by the skiers needing some adjusting so there may be more than simply a prop change, but a prop change matched with Zero Off speed control that will result in better scores.  Over on the skier centric and non boat brand forum of BOS (Ball of Spray) a trend has developed concerning different pull based on hull brand, engine configuration (5.3 DI, 6.0L, 6.2L) and now the OJ prop chatter on the TXI enters the fray.