Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2021 Response Txi?

tru-jack

Any information on changes to the 2021 response txi?  with the new nautique last year and the new mastercraft this year, I'm hoping Malibu answers with a nice update on the Txi.  any information is appreciated.  cheers

Probably next year is what I'm hearing.  Would follow their previous refresh cycle calendar.

2nd gen LXi 07, 8, 9, 10, 11

Sexy TXi 12, 13, 14, 15 (new engines), 16

Duck boat TXi 17, 18, 19, 20 (new engines), 21

Hopefully awesome new TXi, 22

Edited by UWSkier

@UWSkier I hope you're right.  I usually go to the Malibu Open, and chat with the factory promo director, however, can't make it this year as I'm in Ontario and the border is closed.  I don't get the same candid insight over email, compared to chatting over a few cold ones.  I'm getting the itch for a new boat, but can wait until next year for an early release of a 22' txi.  cheers.

22 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

Not looking, but what is the price range of new Txi's these days? Has the hull changed since 07?

Boatguide lists the MSRP  (MO OB) as $95,007  FML.  Or what appears to be NOS:  https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2019-malibu-response-txi-6897547/  For 30 large less.

Edited by Eagleboy99
Answering my own question...
ahopkins22LSV
35 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Yes, the hull has changed.  If memory serves me correctly, it's changed twice.  @ahopkinsVTX, am I on point with this?

Correct. Updated in 2012 and then again in 2017. The boat skis really good. I agree it could use a facelift in terms of looks. I also think 2022 will be the release of a new one. 

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, tru-jack said:

Any update / news on 2022 TXi?

Not a peep.  Given it's a lower volume, lower margin boat, I wonder if they'll bother dropping a redesign for 2022 or riding out the current boat another season.

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 1:12 PM, UWSkier said:

I'll add, hopefully they go the way of the new ProStar with pricing, options, etc and don't go the way of the new Nautique.

Optioned up, OTD, I don't think these boats are as far apart price wise as one might think.  

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to a couple of the guys at my local Malibu dealer on Monday and asked if the 22 Response was going to be any different than the 21. They didn’t think so based on what they had heard.  Also said if you wanted one you better order in the next 6 weeks or so, otherwise you probably would not get it for next season.  I think I’ll just keep my 2013 txi for another year as it has served us well so far at almost 500 hours of skiing and riding. 

Is it so much to ask for a great slalom wake that still has a rear trunk, full bench seat that can flip up to sunpad? C'mon Malibu, not everyone wants to surf & no other manufacturer looks like they will be doing a family oriented DD anytime soon.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Jhucke said:

Is it so much to ask for a great slalom wake that still has a rear trunk, full bench seat that can flip up to sunpad? C'mon Malibu, not everyone wants to surf & no other manufacturer looks like they will be doing a family oriented DD anytime soon.

If only they had refreshed the Sunsetter LXi........they could do so and put it under the Axis brand and I think it would sell.  The SSLXi hull was awesome.  If I had found one when I found my RLXi, I would have bought it and would still have it today. 

What I’d like to see in the redesigned “return to Malibu ski boat glory days” in the 2023 or 2024 Response:

** give us back the hull design and look of the Response from 1995 - 2016. We want a small boat that looks like a sleek sports car instead of a duck-bill sedan. 

** lighten up the overkill emphasis on technology with the touch screens (that delaminate). Just give me some nice round gauges and simple toggle switches in the cockpit/dash.  I don’t want to scroll through multiple screen pages and poke buttons on a screen. 

** Please return to marine carpet on the floor and gunnels. I don’t want sea-deck. 

** Give us storage in or under the gunnels.  I don’t need the sides of the boat to look like a bathtub.  

** Removable Teak swim platforms please !  With multiple open grooves  in the teak to easily grab on and lift yourself from the water into the stern of the boat. 

** Bring back the safety and practicality of 60+ inch long open bow stainless steel grab railing bars. I believe the current Response open bow grab handle is 8 inches long. Ridiculous.   Old grab rails were over 5 feet long !!

** how about a smaller Response boat that comes in slightly under 20 feet? There are tons of larger boat options.  I don’t want 20 feet+ in a ski boat  

I miss the standard garage perfect smaller 19 foot / 7 inch boat. (Current Response is 20 feet / 6 inches.). I’d like to see a 90 inch beam, too. 

** how about a lighter boat?  How did the Response go from 2450 pounds to 3100 pounds?

** how about the triumphant return of a three person stern bench seat that adjusts upwards for a complete sun deck.   Can not stand the walk through 2 seats /rear right and rear left seat configuration on the current Response. 

** Place cup holders on the back of the engine cover for rear passengers. The cup holder platform on the back of the engine box serves as nice foot rest for rear passengers. 

** how about elegant, sweet lines and simple color and graphic scheme.  The 2021 & 2022 Ski Nautique 200 nails the exterior look of a ski boat. 

I could go on…. and on. 

You guys can pine for the old days of a cheap, stripped down, small slalom tug, but it is not going to happen from any of the big three.  It is not that I am unsympathetic, but those boats don't sell many units and the ones they do manage to sell don't have much of a margin in them compared to wake boats.  Making them just takes time and labor and materials away from producing boats that make money.   The choice is a bigger fancier boat that sells with a profit margin, or no ski boat at all.  Malibu will dump the TXI altogether before it goes backwards in time.  

• Like 2

Some additional thoughts on a 2021 Malibu Response TXi and beyond.

I recently migrated from a 1999 Malibu Response CB to a 2021 Malibu Response TXi CB (non-MO Edition ;-).

There are things I like better about both boats and here are some personal thoughts, where YMMV.

Cost: 1999 a MUCH better value. By. A. Lot. 

Weight: 1999 a lighter and more compact boat. 2021 still manageable at under 5000 pounds for boat and trailer and fuel and gear.

Design: 1999 classic and great looking. The "sturgeon bow" and design of the 2021 has grown on me a lot. I like that it is much harder to swamp the bow on the 2021 due to good bow design (as we do a lot of wake foiling, too, with lots of big rollers ;-).

Carpet: 2021 soft grip flooring is a delight compared to carpet. Carpet vs non-carpet should be an option for those with a preference.

Swim Platform: I liked the 1999 teak platform (but not the maintenance). I REALLY like the 2021 fiberglass/soft grip platform.

Gauges/switches: See attached picture of the 2021 non-MO edition dash (maybe not - keep getting upload failed ;-(). No touch screens - uses buttons only. Easy to view gauges. Menu required for switching things on and off (very easy to use). 1999 gauges (when working ;-) and switches were nice. I asked dealer if I could get an MO Edition boat with the non-MO edition gauges. Nope. Nope. And nope. This should be a custom build option at these price points.

Gunnel/gunwale storage: 1999 has some basic storage on the floor (kept boom parts on each side) but the 2021 needs gunnel storage, and the MO Edition has some, which I asked to add to my non-MO build. Nope. Again, this should be customizable.

Colors: 1999 vs 2021? I liked the many options on my build for the 2021, but the major complaint is that only dealers can do a build a boat for a non-MO Edition, and online at malibuboats.com, there is almost no trace that a non-MO Edition even exists. Malibu - please do better and please FIX THIS!

Rear seat(s): I really LIKE the 2021 "built in center rear seat", aka transom step over. Rear seats on each side of the step over can be ordered, but I've always removed the rear seats from all of my ski boats (1987 American Skier Advance and 1999 Malibu Response CB and none ordered for 2021 Response).

Engine cover cup holders: See above - no rear seats for me. And in my 1999 Malibu Response, kids thought the stern engine cover cup holders were a step to get up onto the engine cover - no thank you very much.

Other: I really like the soft grip on the top of the gunnel on the 2021 - the 1999 was slippery when wet. The access to the impeller on the 2021 is "atrocious" - it was easy access on the 1999. I really like the cool touch vinyl on the 2021 - it is less sticky and cooler than the 1999 vinyl. The cheap plexiglass transom storage covers initially were not flush and caused rope snags - I have a request in to the dealer to get a quote on the aluminum MO edition versions, but the dealer was able to make some adjustments (but old gel coat holes now need some adulting which they said they will fix at a later date).  There are some other major and minor pandemic QC issues with my 2021 - the 1999 seemed to be a better build overall, including gel coat, etc. More on Malibu QC issues at a later time in another post. Although I'm grateful I was still able to order a new 3-event ski boat from Malibu, there are LOTS of opportunity for improvement, IMHO.

Ski ya!

07AE7F10-FAA4-4DB9-A10D-26F578328210.jpg

• Like 2

@jjackkrash

I don’t disagree with you.  The businesses know what they are doing.  I just like the old ones a lot. That being said if you gave me a new Prostar or 200 or TXi I would ski behind it and drive it with a big grin on my face.

Edited by MTBoy
  • Like 2
On 8/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, 94MalibuEchelon said:

What I’d like to see in the redesigned “return to Malibu ski boat glory days” in the 2023 or 2024 Response:

** give us back the hull design and look of the Response from 1995 - 2016. We want a small boat that looks like a sleek sports car instead of a duck-bill sedan. 

** lighten up the overkill emphasis on technology with the touch screens (that delaminate). Just give me some nice round gauges and simple toggle switches in the cockpit/dash.  I don’t want to scroll through multiple screen pages and poke buttons on a screen. 

** Please return to marine carpet on the floor and gunnels. I don’t want sea-deck. 

** Give us storage in or under the gunnels.  I don’t need the sides of the boat to look like a bathtub.  

** Removable Teak swim platforms please !  With multiple open grooves  in the teak to easily grab on and lift yourself from the water into the stern of the boat. 

** Bring back the safety and practicality of 60+ inch long open bow stainless steel grab railing bars. I believe the current Response open bow grab handle is 8 inches long. Ridiculous.   Old grab rails were over 5 feet long !!

** how about a smaller Response boat that comes in slightly under 20 feet? There are tons of larger boat options.  I don’t want 20 feet+ in a ski boat  

I miss the standard garage perfect smaller 19 foot / 7 inch boat. (Current Response is 20 feet / 6 inches.). I’d like to see a 90 inch beam, too. 

** how about a lighter boat?  How did the Response go from 2450 pounds to 3100 pounds?

** how about the triumphant return of a three person stern bench seat that adjusts upwards for a complete sun deck.   Can not stand the walk through 2 seats /rear right and rear left seat configuration on the current Response. 

** Place cup holders on the back of the engine cover for rear passengers. The cup holder platform on the back of the engine box serves as nice foot rest for rear passengers. 

** how about elegant, sweet lines and simple color and graphic scheme.  The 2021 & 2022 Ski Nautique 200 nails the exterior look of a ski boat. 

I could go on…. and on. 

Why?  You going buy one if they do?  Because for much of the last 20 years, save for a few exceptions, Malibu made the boat you describe.  Yet, presumably, you stayed in your '94.  Why in the world would Malibu do something they've done before and intentionally moved away from due to market demand?  Malibu sells every txi they can make right now.  

After re-reading your gripes, I think a few things need to get clarified, all in good spirit:

1) you don't need to get any touchscreens.  See pics above.  They already make exactly what you want (but you haven't bought).

2) You're literally the only person with that opinion on carpet v sea dek.  Want carpet?  Spend $500 and put it in yourself.

3) You want storage "in or under" the gunnels.  That's a strange request, since the only models that have offerred in gunnel storage are nautiques of the last 2 generations (and while appreciated by some, are disliked by many).  Instead, Malibu offers gunnel ski racks, cleaning up the floor, widening the walk space, and provide a far more efficient (not to mention lighter) use of gunnel space.  

4) Malibu hasn't made a slotted teak platform since not long after the wedge's development (25 years ago ish).  Like sea dek, you're the only person I can recall asking for a teak over composite platform.  Nonetheless, if you want one, you could make it.  I certainly understand Malibu not being interested in even considering that request.  No one would take it.  It's a Billion dollar company, not woodworking shop.  And for that matter the only redeeming quality of teak is that...well, there is no redeeming quality of teak over composite.  

5) 5 foot grab rails?  pfft...

6) smaller boat?...Said no one ever when wakes are improved.  Never going to happen.  Nor should it.  If Malibu could have provided txi-quality wakes in the 90s, the sportster would have never been designed.  

7) because comparing a CB response to a modern txi is a totally different animal.  You're seeing numbers without putting them in context, from engine weights, space demands, and wakes.  Weight is irrelevant...unless it's adversely impacting performance.  An '05 response that weight 2450 might SEEM more appealing than a bigger 3100 # boat, but that's a moot conversation when it skis better.  

8) its a tournament boat.  If a rear "sundeck" is one anyone's wishlist, they are looking in the wrong direction.  It's not the 90s anymore.

9) sounds like a "Bryant" Nautique 200 is what you like.  You should buy one.  :biggrin:

On 8/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, Slayer said:

If only they had refreshed the Sunsetter LXi........they could do so and put it under the Axis brand and I think it would sell.  The SSLXi hull was awesome.  If I had found one when I found my RLXi, I would have bought it and would still have it today. 

There's a guy on our ski team that wants to sell his '06SSlxi for a better slalom boat, like a Rlxi, or maybe even go older, like an Echelon (he loves mine).  Do you think he is off base?  I haven't been behind his boat to compare it to anything.

14 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

There's a guy on our ski team that wants to sell his '06SSlxi for a better slalom boat, like a Rlxi, or maybe even go older, like an Echelon (he loves mine).  Do you think he is off base?  I haven't been behind his boat to compare it to anything.

06 is not ideal at all.  Sweet spot is 99-04 (only).  99-04 were (and remain) almost world class.  05 onward?  not so...

• Like 2