Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 vlx monsoon 350 engine rebuild advice

So I got a call from my mechanic today after we dropped our 2010 vlx with the monsoon 350 off due to rough running at idle and a check engine warning. He says bad news number 5 cylinder has a crack and number 8 is wet as well. He pulled the plugs and scoped it and saw the crack. Says new motor time. My question is what long block could I use to rebuild it myself i.e. swap all the marine stuff to the long block that would bolt right up? Would the gm marine long blocks work or do i have to get more exotic with it. This is super bummer news as we just bought it last year and the whole thing has less than 200 hrs on it. I. Looking for similar performance if not a little better but don't want to have to reprogram everything once its all done. I guess the other option would be to list it for sale and see if someone wants to buy it for less and do the work themselves to save some coin. Its never run hot and when the rpms come up past about 1500 you would never know the motor wasn't tip top so thats hard news to swallow. Any advice would be appreciated here guys. Im just in such a funk about it all. 

Oof,

Wish I had some good advice. I had an issue with my trans last year and was similarly down about it. I know the monsoon 350 is based on a 5.7 liter GM engine so I imaging if you can get the GM block you could swap out most of the parts. I don't have that kind of expertise myself but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Can you transfer the computer module over to the new setup too? if it is all the same sensors and all the hardware is spec'd the same what programming would need to be done?