Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailing Arms loose on splines

Bozboat

I decided my 1999 SSLXI would like to ride on a newer trailer and I bought a 2018 Malibu trailer fit for a Response. I think it should be a very close match for my boat. I need to replace the bunk carpet and clean it up some before moving the boat over. The plan is to freshen up the 2007 Extreme Trailer and sell it.

Last night I was doing a post purchase inspection of the newer trailer and discovered that all four trailing arms are loose on the splines.  I was able to tighten them somewhat with an impact wrench, but not enough.  With the wheels off the ground I can walk the trailing arm in and out on the spline. Here is a google image of what I am describing.  Anyone have or heard of this problem?

52CF24AA-3441-4D92-ABCE-EEC2038F814A.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat
Add photo
23 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That seems bad.  I'd pull one off and see if the splines on either piece are damaged from it being loose. 

How far in and out does it move?

They move in and out about a quarter inch or so.  I am able to wobble the right rear wheel to the extent you would think the bearings are gone, enough that I wonder if there are any teeth left in the spline.

5 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

They move in and out about a quarter inch or so.  I am able to wobble the right rear wheel to the extent you would think the bearings are gone, enough that I wonder if there are any teeth left in the spline.

Funny that it moves in and out but doesn't spin.  That would indicate that the splines are still there.  Are the sides of the slot that the bolt tightens down touching?

Just now, oldjeep said:

Funny that it moves in and out but doesn't spin.  That would indicate that the splines are still there.  Are the sides of the slot that the bolt tightens down touching?

No, they have a small gap. I will get them inspected and some photos.

Can you remove the nuts and drift the bolts out (obviously what you are up to)?  Maybe it's just that the bolts are worn down from being loose their whole life.

150 ft lbs is what UFP says.  But I would pull a bolt out and then use something like a hacksaw blade or putty knife to make sure the slot is free of debris.  Then see if you are bottomed out on the threads of the bolt.

27 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

RR,RF, LF, LR

anyone know the torque specs or have a a suggestion for torque spec?

F6AEDCA5-0EA3-4470-B612-33D80FB66E8F.jpeg

What is going on in this picture?  The brake line looks like it has been rubbing on the rotor?

I ran into this on 2 brand new trailers in last month. My 2019 Malibu and my friends 2019 3 axle Centurion trailer. I was checking a grease leak on his triple axle and when I grabbed the suspended hub you would of thought that the axle nut was about 3 turns to loose. I mistakenly pull the cap to check the nut only to find the preload was fine. I look behind the hub to see it slopping around on the arm. I raised another axle and see the same thing. Out of concern, I raised an axle on mine and sure enough the slop was there also. I am not seeing out of them norm tire wear although I only trailer a couple mile a trip. I guess I will let it play out.

I replaced the four bolts with Grade 8 bolts from Tractor Supply. With the new bolts I was able to tighten the arms firmly to the axle spindles.

The bolts insert in the grove between the two rows of splines, so there wasn’t any real risk of the arm coming off without removing the bolt.

CB356283-0762-4D97-8C59-F239DB681C71.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice! Cool that you got the sloppy suspension figured out. Do you still have your old trailer for sale? If so I’d be very interested. I have a ‘99 RLX on a borrowed trailer, and the guy I borrowed it from will need it back soon.