Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 23 LSV, having issue after issue.

We bought a 2019 23 LSV last year brand new in August. We have been having issue after issue.  Anywhere from latches breaking, having to have the battery replaced 2 months later, to the battery draining itself and putting boat in after having it out from the previous weekend and it wouldn't start.  In June we were surfing with our daughter behind the boat when the engine cut off. It didn't want to crank and then finally did, then half way home it just quit.  We had to be towed in.  The dealer came out and "fixed" it, for us to get back in the boat the next day and find it was doing the same thing. Long story short we had to tow it to tow ramp to be pulled out and taken to dealer.  They had to replace all the relay switches as they were all bad.  We have had so many issues with our screens. The wedge won't move to the desired place.  (they've also already done everything they can to the wedge with out actually replacing it to fix this.) They've replaced the 12in screen, and they swapped out the viper for a 2nd time and it's still not working.  We still can't get our radio to change using the joystick.  We've had the fuel pump changed 3 times since June.    This past saturday we were out surfing and the boat popped up service warning.  It was acting sluggish to crank. It did crank but service warning kept popping up. We had low fuel pressure. It was about 46 It's idling really low pressure.   The code the boat was reading was High Fuel Rail Pressure: spn:94  FMI:0     We checked oil and it was full. We had just filled up boat 3 hours prior. We had half a tank then when we filled up.   The techs have swapped out everything.... I literally have a list of like 25 items they have fixed on our boat.  The service department has gotten a lot of things fixed, but the wedge continually not working, and the engine and fuel problems are coming back.   Like at this point I'm wondering if we have a lemon.  We shouldn't be having this many issues on the boat and it's literally a year old.... We've done every scheduled maintenance.  It's been worked on 10 times since May... And it's still not fixed....   After they swapped out the fuel pump yesterday it appears to be running fine, but now I'm nervous every time we go out.  The fuel pump shouldn't be going out after only putting 20 hours on it.  This is the 4th fuel pump we've had this season.

I just don't know what to do at this point. The Malibu rep offered to do some upgrades to our boat, but there wasn't much we didn't have on our boat to begin with. It came pretty much fully loaded.  But at some point these upgrades aren't adding to the value of our boat when it's going to come to resale value because of all the issues we've had.   We've had 2 other boats prior to these. We switched from a center console to have more fun at the lake. Both were older used boats, and we never once had to put either in the shop to be worked on. And we used them in salt water a good bit.  I love our boat when it's running right, but it's not reliable anymore. 

Any suggestions?

First off, it sounds like the dealer is trying to take care of you so I wouldn't let that relationship sour because of a "bad boat". Something like this is easy to pass judgement on from the other side of the key board, but mathematically speaking IIWM, that thing would be gone at my earliest convenient opportunity. Hopefully you are in a position to be able to do that. I have had a number of issues on my '19 (Feb build) but nothing to that extent. Lastly, this could happen to any manufacturer, especially with all of the technology on these boats compared to the average I/O's, so I wouldn't shy away from another Malibu. But at this point, I could certainly understand the reluctance to buy another one. Good luck getting it sorted out.

Yes, Our Dealer has been amazing.  They have been super responsive, and the manager texts me after hours.  I love our dealer.. It's just the boat I'm not happy with....  I just read in another thread about someone having the same issue and now it's almost permanent on his.  Said that PCM was recommending a engine harness swap, but that they are on back order....... 

Good luck on getting an engine wiring harness. I have a 2019 Axis T22 with the 409 (not sure if it’s the same harness), but have been waiting since the start of July for one and was just told the other day they won’t have one anytime soon. The boat is done for the year at this point. FWIW I had very similar issues with my boat regarding the stalling. 

On 8/20/2020 at 5:35 AM, wdr said:

First off, it sounds like the dealer is trying to take care of you so I wouldn't let that relationship sour because of a "bad boat". Something like this is easy to pass judgement on from the other side of the key board, but mathematically speaking IIWM, that thing would be gone at my earliest convenient opportunity. Hopefully you are in a position to be able to do that. I have had a number of issues on my '19 (Feb build) but nothing to that extent. Lastly, this could happen to any manufacturer, especially with all of the technology on these boats compared to the average I/O's, so I wouldn't shy away from another Malibu. But at this point, I could certainly understand the reluctance to buy another one. Good luck getting it sorted out.

My 2019 (April build) has also been a bit of a challenge ... or just a really good example of extremely poor (or non-existent) quality control looks like.   I will consider myself lucky since 100% of my issues have been with how the boat was sprayed and assembled (including the trailer) and basically people in the factory not giving a care in the world about the quality of their work (literally... do it wrong, know it is wrong, but just leave it that way 'cause I really don't care and I want to go have a beer.)  Really quite embarrassing for Malibu and now (because we are STILL trying to fix things that were done wrong at the factory over a 15 months after delivery) it is costing Malibu a ton of money.  I am very LUCKY in that, while many aspects of my boat were built wrong, the powerplant, electronics, and the stuff you need to have fun on the lake,  have been flawless.    If the same attitude went into the powerplant install, wiring and electronics on @melanie 's boat then I have to say I am not totally shock that it is a mess.  I hate to hear stories of new boats needing to be towed in, especially more than once. :-/  So yes... I'd say you might have a "lemon" that just wasn't build right.  Normally I think there is a root cause when we see so many issues on a new boat (ie: batteries are going flat and screens need replaced because of a miswired ground, etc.) and it sounds like maybe an issue in the electrical system that is just frying everything.. overcharging or something miswired.  You had screens go out, batteries, multiple fuel pumps, all the relays, the Viper and the wedge.  It sure seems like SOMETHING is wrong with the main electrical/charging system that is causing all the issues (or your boat got hit by lighting on its way from the factory :-O)  Did anyone check the alternator to see if it is putting out power spikes, etc.  Until you can find the root of the issue then I think things might continue to fail.  I don't think your true list of "thing wrong with the boat" is as long as it appears... meaning I think you have one issue that is blowing up every electrical component in your boat. You wouldn't be the first boat to have an issue like this.  I do hope your dealer can figured it out soon.

I don't know what what going on at the factory when some of these 2019s were built but there must have been a few weeks where all of the management staff was on a retreat playing golf and the factory guys decided to have a party of their own.  I do think things have improved (slightly) in 2020.  As wdr said... your dealer relationship is key.  If it weren't for my amazing dealer, who continues to work with Malibu to get everything fix, I would have sold this thing many months ago.