Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie looking at a '99 Sunsetter lxi

Jboz

New to the forum but have visited several times. We are looking at a '99 Sunsetter lxi in good condition.  The market in our area is crazy right now with direct drives from the late 90's and early 2000's bringing 20 - 25K. You can find V drives from the same era but they're usually hammered and when they're not... they sell FAST. Curious if you're seeing similar trends in other areas this year? We're hoping the Malibu we are looking at becomes our first family boat 🍻

It’s the same here in So Cal.  I actually just bought a 03 Sunsetter LXi in the high 20’s.  Everything I looked at would get offers within days and I always thought the asking prices were too high, but I succumbed.   I love the Sunsetter for the skiing, I’m still figuring out how to make it surf well enough for my teenagers.  

Jboz - While I can't answer the specific question on market and pricing (I do know the used boat market is crazy right now), I did want to share that we have a '99 Sunsetter lxi and absolutely love the boat.  It's now 20 years old, still going strong and fairly simple / straight forward to work on and maintain.  I'm probably just a wee bit biased, but I think the Sunsetters of that era are some of the best multi-purpose boats out there.  We bought ours in 2010 and I know I could easily sell it for more than I paid for it - nope, it's not for sale.  Good luck on your search - I don't think you will have any regrets...!!!

THendry - Although I'm a skier at heart, we do surf behind our '99 Sunsetter occasionally.  We typically put in a good size fat sac (about 600 - 700 lbs) in the very back.  We've found it works best to take the back seat cushion (bottom section) out and place the fat sac on the floor.  It "mushes" over the seat base forms and stays in place quite well.  We deploy the Wedge and then what really helps is adding a wake shaper - the type that are suction cup mounted.  It's amazing how much the wake shaper improves the wake.  Here's a link to an article in Wakeboarding and Wakesurfer magazines that features our setup.  Give it a try....    https://www.wakeboardingmag.com/wakesurfing-ski-boat/