Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raptor Towing

JessCaliD

I wouldn't do a 25lsv with anything less than a 3/4 ton diesel.  just my 2 pennies but 22-23 ft boats is the most I am comfortable with any (raptor, tundra, etc) 1/2 ton truck especially a raptor.  

5 hours ago, surfdude said:

Have to see if you will be able to beef up the new independent rear suspension. Don’t know if they will have something for it for towing. If I stick with the Raptor, my next boat will be ordered with a non swing tongue, and electric brakes. Then you can use an equalizer hitch, and may not need to add anything. If you’re looking at a Raptor R, I was told that they will be really hard to get.

Timbren told me their bump stops will work.  These will work for me to tow my 21VLX but at some point, I will upgrade boats and hopefully add the AirLifts, if they work for the Raptor Gen 3.
It will be interesting to see what people will pay for the Raptor R.  I ordered my Gen 3 from a dealer at MSRP, but most dealers were going anywhere from 5k - 20k over MSRP.  Crazy.

10 hours ago, IXFE said:

@surfdude @DAI

are you guys getting a Gen 3…?

I sold my 2019 Alumiduty this week so need to place an order for a 2022 something. Super tempted to go Raptor despite having a 2022 25 LSV next year. Am I crazy?? 

57C81C7A-BCFA-49CD-961F-3FE9CE5D5082.jpeg

Before my recent trip, I was really leaning heavy duty.  Now, with the airbags, I am definitely considering another Raptor - assuming they will work with the 5-link suspension.  So no, I don’t think you are crazy.

For me, If I stick with the Raptor I will probably not go R.  I’m sure they’ll have a healthy above MSRP amount by the dealers, and as my daily driver around here I really don’t need all that power - no real place to unleash it.  I really never have a chance to unleash the current power plant.  I'm probably going to wait a year or 2 into the Gen 3 to let them work out any bugs.

On a separate note, the Raptor is in the shop right now for few days getting the cam phasers replaced.  They have been rattling for the last 28,000 miles on a cold start and time to get the fixed.

Edited by DAI
On 8/2/2021 at 9:58 AM, DAI said:

On a separate note, the Raptor is in the shop right now for few days getting the cam phasers replaced.  They have been rattling for the last 28,000 miles on a cold start and time to get the fixed.

Did you get these fixed under warranty?  I saw these had a recall.

I got the rattle fixed under warranty - picked up the truck last night and no more rattle with the cold start this am.  The recall is a software update to hopefully prevent the rattle from happening for those who don’t have it.  The software update come with the updated phaser when they fix for the rattle.  The repair is scary since it’s like open heart surgery on the engine.  They even lifted the cab off the frame to do the repair.

36 minutes ago, DAI said:

I got the rattle fixed under warranty - picked up the truck last night and no more rattle with the cold start this am.  The recall is a software update to hopefully prevent the rattle from happening for those who don’t have it.  The software update come with the updated phaser when they fix for the rattle.  The repair is scary since it’s like open heart surgery on the engine.  They even lifted the cab off the frame to do the repair.

I had the same thing with my '18 F-150.  My '19 seems to be worry free at this point with just under 36k on the clock.  It's going away next year.  Not sure what I'm getting, but it's moving.  Given that Biden is signing and executive order that all vehicles need to be zero emissions by 2030, I have 8 years to decide what truck I'm going to won for the rest of my life.

Just another pic hooked up from today.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that on the long tow I did I not lockout any gears.  The truck stayed primarily in 9th and only downshifted to 8th on decent inclines (maybe 7th less than a handful of times).  No gear hunting at all.

EF5055FC-CBF6-4C9C-9974-96FCBA394944.jpeg

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, DAI said:

Just another pic hooked up from today.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that on the long tow I did I not lockout any gears.  The truck stayed primarily in 9th and only downshifted to 8th on decent inclines (maybe 7th less than a handful of times).  No gear hunting at all.

EF5055FC-CBF6-4C9C-9974-96FCBA394944.jpeg

I still lock mine out of 9-10, after the 5 month wait for a transmission on my 17. Could have been a lemon trans, but I know there were a lot of changes in the trans, between the 17 and my 20

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

@Slayer @Hemmy @surfdude @DAIYou all realize the Gen 3 Raptor has no leaf springs, right?  It’s an all new coil spring design.  

I’m having a hard time reconciling all this talk about Timbrens, air bags, RAS, etc… with what I’ve read about the Gen 3.  Unfortunately,  I don’t think any of it applies to the new Raptor.

Don't get me wrong… I actually WANT to be wrong. I’ve been searching for a way to reduce the “squat” in either the Gen3 Raptor or the Ram TRX with zero success. The trucks are just too new, and nobody even makes even a basic air bag kit (my understanding is it took years for an airbag kit to show up for the Gen2). I’ve been meaning to PM surfdude and DAI about this.  

Again, I’m here to be proven wrong. Send me a link to a Raptor Gen3 or Ram TRX “anti sag” solution (don’t care what it is), and I’ll own one of those trucks by Monday. 

43 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Good call @IXFE.  I was unaware that they eliminated leaf springs for 2022 in the Raptor.  Thanks for the information. 

I moved this so the Mods don't get mad.

I am aware there are no more leaf springs.  I think the new suspension actually has some adjustability to stiffen them up.  Just not sure if it will be enough to dramatically reduce the squat.  Even without the leaf springs, the truck still has bump stops.  @DAI and @surfdude can attest, they are not very big in comparison to Timbrens.  I have talked to Timbren and they told me their current bump stop will work with the Gen 3 Raptor.  When I take my boat out in a month.  I want to compare the squat with and without the bump stops to see how much improvement, if at all, the new suspension has when towing.  I will call Timbren again before I buy to make sure their bump stops will work.  When I talked to them last, the Gen 3 was announced with some detail, but it was not out yet. Hopefully they have more of a confirmation now that they should have been able to get their hands on one.

Unfortunately @IXFE, I don't know that I have a guarantee on an anti sag solution, but I guess I will be the guinea pig.  Then again, my boat doesn't weigh as much as all of your boats do.

I’m not getting rid of my 20 till Dec 22. My wife bought a side by side,and a toy hauler. I think I’m going to do the aux spring thing next summer. Looks easier to take on and off, than the airbag system. Hopefully they will have something when I get a 23 Raptor.

Edited by surfdude

Saw this on The Raptor Forum.  2021 Raptor towing a Nautique with a total weight of around 6400 lbs.  This was all stock and no bump stops were added.  I know this is way lighter than a 23LSV or G23, but still looks like there is little to no squat.  The guy who posted this said the 2021 towed way better than his Gen 2 and had less turbo lag.  His boat falls right in line with my 21VLX weight wise so I shouldn't have any problem or even a need for the Timbrens at this point.

BF4E9C28-C5A3-4B2D-B75D-3B4A3F80D98C.thumb.jpeg.3489bee0deca45a889930eb7ee55d404.jpeg

As noted in another thread I started 2 years ago. I’ve been towing my m235 with a 2019 raptor for 2 years without any issues at all. The dry weight is 6200 but everyone notes this is light and more likely 7500 plus 1500 for the trailer so closer to 9000.  I do use the bump stops. I just sold the m235 and bought a m240 which is about 1300 pounds heavier so I doubt it will work and may have to sell the raptor. :(