Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raptor Towing

JessCaliD

Another thought is to order your trailer with out a swing tongue. Then you could use a weight distributing hitch. That gives the Raptor an 8000lb towing capacity.

7 hours ago, Hemmy said:

@DAI @surfdude @bamaboy what are your thoughts on towing an M220 with a Raptor? @DAI have you towed your new G23 with it? I know a new G is close to the M220’s dry weight. I am working on ordering a new Raptor but a little nervous if I go with an M220 for my next boat. My other option would be a 23 LSV. I am not worried about towing the 23 lsv since I know some of you do without any complaints. I only tow a couple times a year since my boat stays in the water, but my trips are 2 hours to Grand Rapids to drop off and pick up from the dealer. I have read through these threads and know everybody’s thoughts, but not sure I saw anything for the M220. Closest I saw was for the M235. I think dry weight on the M220 is 6200. I am not getting and don’t want a diesel so not looking for those arguments.

Thanks

I’ve towed the 2021 G23 with the Raptor a hand full of times so far (longest tow was probably 40 miles) and it’s fine with the Timbren SES bump stops.  With the 5 link suspension on the gen 3, I don’t know if Timbren would be option any more.

1 hour ago, DAI said:

Here is the amount of squat on the Raptor with Timbren SES.  Not the best pic.

20210619_091655.jpg

Any idea of what your total boat weight is? I know you also looked at the M220. Would you have been comfortable towing that with the Raptor? I checked with Timbren and they have an option for the new Raptor.  It’s their FR150RB.

I would think the G23 and M220 are similar in weight (G23 probably weighs a little more).  I don't know the total weight exactly.  The Raptor feels perfectly fine towing with the Timbrens

Honestly, the Raptor is a better tow vehicle than my prior F150 Platinum - IMO.  More powerful engine.  The wider wheelbase provides more stability.  The weak link is the suspension, and the Timbrens go a long way strengthening that link.  I would not tow G23 without the Timbrens though, it would overwhelm the rear leaf springs.

9 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Any idea of what your total boat weight is? I know you also looked at the M220. Would you have been comfortable towing that with the Raptor? I checked with Timbren and they have an option for the new Raptor.  It’s their FR150RB.

I have timbrens on my truck as well and you may want to ask timbrens manufacturer, it’s my understanding that they are not designed to handle the load all the time while towing. They are more like a softer bump stop to soften bottoming like during big g outs. Air bags may be best for your situation to keep the load up and vehicle more level. 

Also, for transparency I am looking to potentially changes trucks from the Raptor to either an F250 Tremor or a Ram 2,500.  Not necessarily for the extra capability (but I’ll take it) but for the longer bed and the ability to put a larger overland tent over the bed with my son getting into Mountain biking and wanting to do the adventure weekends, which requires camping and extra bed space when we take the boat on vacations.  Not sure if I will pull that trigger with it being my daily driver and the Raptor being my favorite vehicle I have owned.

Edited by DAI
15 hours ago, DAI said:

Also, for transparency I am looking to potentially changes trucks from the Raptor to either an F250 Tremor or a Ram 2,500.  Not necessarily for the extra capability (but I’ll take it) but for the longer bed and the ability to put a larger overland tent over the bed with my son getting into Mountain biking and wanting to do the adventure weekends, which requires camping and extra bed space when we take the boat on vacations.  Not sure if I will pull that trigger with it being my daily driver and the Raptor being my favorite vehicle I have owned.

I definitely want the Raptor for the fun of it.  I am also looking at the F150 Tremor since which ever truck I go with will also be my daily driver.  I love the F250 Tremor just don't like the Godzilla engine for the daily driver purposes.  Raptor is questionable for my towing needs and the F150 Tremor will definitely get it done.  I found a dealer that has allocation for the Raptor and willing to sell it at MSRP so currently pricing out both trucks.  Most dealers are marking up the new Raptors $5000 over.  Living in the salty Midwest, I will need to find a carwash the Raptor will fit in.  I hear they are too wide for most automated washes.

2 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I definitely want the Raptor for the fun of it.  I am also looking at the F150 Tremor since which ever truck I go with will also be my daily driver.  I love the F250 Tremor just don't like the Godzilla engine for the daily driver purposes.  Raptor is questionable for my towing needs and the F150 Tremor will definitely get it done.  I found a dealer that has allocation for the Raptor and willing to sell it at MSRP so currently pricing out both trucks.  Most dealers are marking up the new Raptors $5000 over.  Living in the salty Midwest, I will need to find a carwash the Raptor will fit in.  I hear they are too wide for most automated washes.

I have found a lot of touchless car washes in WI will work with the Raptor.  Typically the pull-through washes with track systems won’t work.

I’m interested to see the new Tundra’s tow ratings . . . Doubt it will be much higher than the Raptor, but it will be an intriguing option if it’s north of 10,000 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Towed a longer distance yesterday (45 minutes) and while the Raptor handled the boat no problem, the ride was fairly harsh on some roads at 60 mph with the Timbrens - especially in construction zones.  I'm now exploring going to an airbag system to eliminate the sag and improve ride quality.  What are the TMC brain trusts thoughts on airbag systems for the truck?

I know I should just go Super Duty, and even went and test drove one today, but I can't find one to my specs.  Even looking for Ram 2500 Limiteds and they are nearly impossible to find. 

I only do 1 long tow a season (4.5 hour drive), the rest are 15 min cruises on county highways, so I'm looking to get by with the Raptor until I can find the heavy duty I want.  I can handle the harsh ride personally, but my wife and kids were getting annoyed.

1 hour ago, DAI said:

Towed a longer distance yesterday (45 minutes) and while the Raptor handled the boat no problem, the ride was fairly harsh on some roads at 60 mph with the Timbrens - especially in construction zones.  I'm now exploring going to an airbag system to eliminate the sag and improve ride quality.  What are the TMC brain trusts thoughts on airbag systems for the truck?

I know I should just go Super Duty, and even went and test drove one today, but I can't find one to my specs.  Even looking for Ram 2500 Limiteds and they are nearly impossible to find. 

I only do 1 long tow a season (4.5 hour drive), the rest are 15 min cruises on county highways, so I'm looking to get by with the Raptor until I can find the heavy duty I want.  I can handle the harsh ride personally, but my wife and kids were getting annoyed.

This was the system I had on a couple vehicles. And was really great. Actually mounted compressor in toolbox out of the way and weather. Had on a Toyota Tacoma and a 2017 Ford super duty 3500 dually. 

nice to adjust either side or both wirelessly from the seat of your truck. 

https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/compressor-systems/

Edited by spikew919

@DAIi have that same kit that @spikew919 linked on my 2011 F250. 

I love the adjustability and it helps so much. Dump the bags after the tow and it rides like factory. I fill them up to 50 or 60 psi when I am pulling my fifth wheel and it gets everything nice and level and just floats down the road. 

54 minutes ago, DAI said:

Not sure.  I’m sticking with the manual fill until I know that it works the way I hope it does.

@DAI Trust me. Get the controls now. You will regret it later.

My buddy did manual cause he didn’t think he needed it. I hear about it every camping trip. “Sure wish I would of put the pump and controls on.” I hook up, hit a button and pull out. He is always wrestling a portable pump to pump them up before he departs and draining them manually after he gets there. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 12:01 PM, DAI said:

Got the airbags installed this week and towed with them today about 30 miles.  The ride is much better than with the Timbrens.  Ran 35 psi, probably could go 25-30 psi as the truck was still higher in back than front.  The without trailer the ride is slightly stiffer in the rear at around 8 psi, but I'm thinking that may get a little better with some miles on the bags.

Overall, so far so good.  Big test is next weekend with the 5 hour tow.

20210717_105452.jpg

I will be interested to see how the Raptor does for you on this longer trip with the heavier G.  I put my order in almost 2 weeks ago for the new Raptor.

• 2 weeks later...

Truck survived the tow - about 4.5 hours each way.  Actually, it did quite well.  Airbags helped a lot with the ride quality and always felt planted and in control.  Ran 30 psi and kept the truck level or slightly elevated in the rear (pics below).  It absorbed bumps like a normal suspension would.  Airbags are definitely a major step up from the Timbrens. 

Trans temp stayed around 190, and only hit 199 for a brief moment.  Oil temp ran between 215 and 239 at the max (that was when climbing and having the turbos spooled up for an extended period of time), the typical was 228.  10 mpg on premium ethanol free.  

I would not hesitate to do it again.

20210724_073928.jpg

20210724_073936.jpg

22 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@surfdude @DAI

are you guys getting a Gen 3…?

I sold my 2019 Alumiduty this week so need to place an order for a 2022 something. Super tempted to go Raptor despite having a 2022 25 LSV next year. Am I crazy?? 

57C81C7A-BCFA-49CD-961F-3FE9CE5D5082.jpeg

Have to see if you will be able to beef up the new independent rear suspension. Don’t know if they will have something for it for towing. If I stick with the Raptor, my next boat will be ordered with a non swing tongue, and electric brakes. Then you can use an equalizer hitch, and may not need to add anything. If you’re looking at a Raptor R, I was told that they will be really hard to get.

Edited by surfdude