Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raptor Towing

JessCaliD

Hello!

I’m looking at buying a wake boat and own a 2018 Raptor. Does anyone tow with a Raptor? I know something needs to be done with the rear suspension and I was curious if anyone uses a weight distribution hitch, a supplemental leaf spring, or air bags? 

thanks! 

The most recent thread on tow vehicles, it was decided that you shouldn't tow with anything less than a 3500HD Duramax dually with 4:10 gears.  And you should have a winch in case the ramp is too steep.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I tow with my 2019 raptor.  I added the Timbren Bumpers to mine and that made all the difference in the world.  More more stable now.  On the TQ. & HP side there are no issues with the stock EB motor.  It pulls great.  

I didn't see which boat the OP wants to tow, or whether the specific raptor had the 6k or 8k tow rating.  But, whatever boat it is, and however configured the Raptor is, I suppose, ya, it'll tow fine.

As far as the specific question, generally, the better the suspension and tires are for off-roading, the worse they are for towing.  Airbags and timbrens might help the driving experience, but they won't increase the factory tow rating or add weight to the front tires needed for stability when towing heavy.  Tongue weight and payload are probably going to be an issue if you get too big a boat.    

As far as a WDH goes, word is it can be done, but you need to check the specific trailer as a WDH won't work with all boat trailers or all break set ups.  Generally, a swing away tongue is problematic and you might need electric over hydraulic brakes.  Your best bet is to talk to the trailer manufacturer and get on the horn with e-trailer before you jump into a WDH.  

• 3 weeks later...

towed my 25 lsv with my 13 raptor tows with ease but it will heat up all the gauges on a long climb like coming and going from powell. and gas mileage is around 7mpg also doing 85mph the whole way

In my experience, the weakness to towing with a 150/1500 is temps.  I battled them with my old Yukon Denali XL, and I discovered I didn't solve the issue going to a 2019 Expedition MAX.

This last weekend was my first trip through the mountains towing my 23LSV.  Over both Vail pass and eastbound I70 on the approach to the Eisenhower tunnel, my tranny temp got about 240* (about 10* cooler than my Yukon).

Lack of power won't be your biggest issue.  Temps will be.  Especially if towing through the mountains.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
16 hours ago, DAI said:

For those that tow with a Raptor and installed Timbren SES bump stops, did you use the rubber spacer plates?

I tow with an F-150 and put the SES on.  I did use the spacer plates. 

1 hour ago, surfdude said:

I didn’t get any spacer plates just removed the stock bumpers, and assembled the rubber bump stop to the metal bracket,and bolted it on

How does the rear sit when hitched up?  Near level?

2 hours ago, DAI said:

How does the rear sit when hitched up?  Near level?

No, it drops till it sits on the bumpstops with my 2020 23 LSV hooked up. Fairly level, from tail a bit high when not hooked up.

3 hours ago, surfdude said:

No, it drops till it sits on the bumpstops with my 2020 23 LSV hooked up. Fairly level, from tail a bit high when not hooked up.

Ok - got it.  I’ll have to size it up under the truck with and without spacers.  Ideally I’d like for it to sit on the bump stops to as close as level as possible.  

• 2 months later...

@DAI @surfdude @bamaboy what are your thoughts on towing an M220 with a Raptor? @DAI have you towed your new G23 with it? I know a new G is close to the M220’s dry weight. I am working on ordering a new Raptor but a little nervous if I go with an M220 for my next boat. My other option would be a 23 LSV. I am not worried about towing the 23 lsv since I know some of you do without any complaints. I only tow a couple times a year since my boat stays in the water, but my trips are 2 hours to Grand Rapids to drop off and pick up from the dealer. I have read through these threads and know everybody’s thoughts, but not sure I saw anything for the M220. Closest I saw was for the M235. I think dry weight on the M220 is 6200. I am not getting and don’t want a diesel so not looking for those arguments.

Thanks

Well the M220 is 5400. I’d say fully loaded and lake day ready you will be pushing close to 7500.  I’d say that’s gonna be close to the limits of a raptor suspension wise.

My 2020 23 MXZ on are annual California lake trip the boat weighed well into the 8k range. 

Has anyone actually weighed an m220? I had my rzx3 parked next to a m220 and they’re nearly the same size. The rzx3 loaded up with gear was around 8500lbs.  
Close friend of mine towed 8000lbs over a steep highway and said he would never do it again after nearly loosing control. 
Personally I would wait for the new raptor and see what the towing specs are or go for a f150 ecoboost with max tow. Or just have the dealer come pick up your boat if that’s the only long trip. 

38 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

Well the M220 is 5400. I’d say fully loaded and lake day ready you will be pushing close to 7500.  I’d say that’s gonna be close to the limits of a raptor suspension wise.

My 2020 23 MXZ on are annual California lake trip the boat weighed well into the 8k range. 

Malibu says dry weight on M220 is 6200. Is that wrong?

17 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Has anyone actually weighed an m220? I had my rzx3 parked next to a m220 and they’re nearly the same size. The rzx3 loaded up with gear was around 8500lbs.  
Close friend of mine towed 8000lbs over a steep highway and said he would never do it again after nearly loosing control. 
Personally I would wait for the new raptor and see what the towing specs are or go for a f150 ecoboost with max tow. Or just have the dealer come pick up your boat if that’s the only long trip. 

Only thing I don’t have to contend with that your friend did is mountains. My two trips maybe 3 is in Michigan to and from the dealer. 
Raptors towing is the same as the gen 2 @ 8200.

The big thing is the suspension and weight of the truck. It's a lot to tow and you're pushing the weight limit. I put airbags in my Super Duty because of towing my 23LSV. 

Of course this is where someone chimes in about trucks from 20 years ago or that it's well within specs. My point is that it requires MUCH more attentive driving and if you have to make some sort of evasive maneuver on the road you're going to have your hands full. Very doable, not very enjoyable. Power is not really the concern.

For me, the 23LSV is about the limit for my comfort zone. The truck rides on my aftermarket bump stops, when the boat is hooked up. You have to realize that my section of Montana has lot’s of hills and mountain passes though. Only do one long trip a year over mountain passes. My new boat hasn’t arrived yet, but my 2020 23 lsv made the trip last year just fine. Expect about 7-8 mpg towing, at least that’s what I get at our altitude. I think the m220 is quite a bit heavier than the 23. For me, it’s worth the fun of the Raptor for the other 8 months of the year.

Edited by surfdude