Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ Flex shaft seal - dripless

I'm replacing my shaft seal at the end of the season.   I'm debating between Glide and the OJ Flex.

I've found lots of info on the Glide, but little about OJ's Flex.

Anyone have feedback?  

Any idea on the overall length of the Glide?   Do you have the ability to vary the seal location on the shaft?   I am removing an odd dripless and there may be slight wear marks on the shaft.  I can't verify until I disassemble.  However, if I have the ability to adjust the seal location a bit, then it is a non-issue.

It sounds like the OJ Flex does offer this ability.

13 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

Any idea on the overall length of the Glide?   Do you have the ability to vary the seal location on the shaft?   I am removing an odd dripless and there may be slight wear marks on the shaft.  I can't verify until I disassemble.  However, if I have the ability to adjust the seal location a bit, then it is a non-issue.

Yes, the glide has some wiggle room from what I remember. Also use some very fine grit sandpaper and smooth out the shaft seal. Only use the sandpaper in the perpendicular direction though. Wrap it around the shaft and twist side to side.

Edited by boardjnky4

In some instances (like my Dad's 87' Prostar 190) where there is limited room, we have made a modified short system to accommodate any space restrictions. Malibu ordered 3.5" hose on their systems for a while instead of the standard 4". 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tim II 

[email protected]

On 8/18/2020 at 7:29 AM, goodmatt78 said:

They offer different lengths, and yes, you can cut a bit to vary the seal location, we have done this before.

@Woodski Those are actually just larger marine bearings. The grooves in those are not designed for a rudder. That being said, we have helped many people with rudder bearings and would be glad to help with that. We just don't list them on the website since a little more information is required to make sure we get you what you need.

I did the Glide and was happy with the customer service, ease of install, and performance over the last two seasons.  I would do the strut bearings also.  It is not that much more work and I could see some wear on the old after removing with only 400 hours.

• Like 1