Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

TRX

gregtay

Dana 60 rear, that's a blast from the past.  Wonder what variant it is - I'd assume semi floating.  Looks cool but at 2x what my BigHorn cost (just to get the base TRX) that would be a hard pass unless I win the lottery.

I'll bet they sell a ton of them to the same guys who were buying the Raptors.

I'm a Ram guy.  Unbelievable numbers on that thing.  Looks pretty good.  But what will be a halo vehicle for Ram Brand  is called "TRX"?  WTH?  Call it ANYTHING other than an acronym.  Zeus, Hulk, Bull, Boss Hoss, whatever!  Terrible name!  

That's an impressive truck!!  I really like it and I'm a Ford guy.  Ram as been stepping their game up considerably over the last few years and this new high watermark is pretty incredible.  I know a few guys around that will likely get into one of these.  

On 8/18/2020 at 8:02 AM, oldjeep said:

Dana 60 rear, that's a blast from the past.  Wonder what variant it is - I'd assume semi floating.  Looks cool but at 2x what my BigHorn cost (just to get the base TRX) that would be a hard pass unless I win the lottery.

I'll bet they sell a ton of them to the same guys who were buying the Raptors.

From The Fast Lane Truck on youtube, they are saying full floater 6 lug.

On 8/18/2020 at 7:01 AM, 85 Barefoot said:

I'm a Ram guy.  Unbelievable numbers on that thing.  Looks pretty good.  But what will be a halo vehicle for Ram Brand  is called "TRX"?  WTH?  Call it ANYTHING other than an acronym.  Zeus, Hulk, Bull, Boss Hoss, whatever!  Terrible name!  

T-Rex. As in a huge dinosaur. That can kill a Raptor......

• Like 1

I'm not the biggest Ram fan, but this is what I would expect to get in a off road performance package. The blower whine and exhaust sound would definitely make it hard to stay out of the throttle. If the price is comparable to a raptor, will be a safe bet many will look at trading in for a TRX. Except for the fan boys, unless Ford steps up game soon. But to get close to the 700 hp range, they will have to go back to V8 territory. Just too much hp/cubic inch for pump gas or reliability.

It took just three hours for Ram to fill the order book for the 702 Launch Edition models of the 702 horsepower truck it will begin delivering late this year.

The TRX starts at $71,690, but the Launch Edition package is priced at $92,010, which means Ram has already rung up nearly $65 million in sales … at least.

3 hours ago, RyanB said:

T-Rex. As in a huge dinosaur. That can kill a Raptor......

I get it...and got it before.  However, when I saw this, I asked my wife whats a Ford Raptor?  She nailed it.  I asked her what a TRX sounds like for a truck.  She said it sounds like an Acura.  Which is of course, true.  A 700 hp monster truck with an Acura acronym or pontiac trim package.  So dumb.

2 hours ago, MLBurns said:

I'm not the biggest Ram fan, but this is what I would expect to get in a off road performance package. The blower whine and exhaust sound would definitely make it hard to stay out of the throttle. If the price is comparable to a raptor, will be a safe bet many will look at trading in for a TRX. Except for the fan boys, unless Ford steps up game soon. But to get close to the 700 hp range, they will have to go back to V8 territory. Just too much hp/cubic inch for pump gas or reliability.

I heard a rumor that Ford is toying with a V8 in the new Raptor.  Not sure if it's going to be base or an option, or it at all but did here a rumor about it locally.

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I get it...and got it before.  However, when I saw this, I asked my wife whats a Ford Raptor?  She nailed it.  I asked her what a TRX sounds like for a truck.  She said it sounds like an Acura.  Which is of course, true.  A 700 hp monster truck with an Acura acronym or pontiac trim package.  So dumb.

100% agree.  

3 hours ago, MLBurns said:

They get 660 horsepower in the 2020 Ford GT. I’m a MOPAR guy, but I’m also continually impressed with the EcoBoost (as long as we are talking power and not MPG). 

2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

My guess is that those in their target market get it. That’s probably not your wife (or mine). 

What else would you call a Raptor killer?  Honestly, it makes 100% perfect sense to me. Incredibly bold and in your face challenge to Ford. And I love it. 

Edited by RyanB
4 hours ago, MLBurns said:

I just read that the 2021 Raptor will be getting the GT 500 5.2 Predator Supercharged engine which i believe is 760Hp. Ram may have jumped the gun a bit with the reveal and the T-rex tossin the Raptor around 🤷🏼‍♂️ should be a good pissin match!

https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/next-gen-ford-f-150-raptor-will-get-supercharged-5-2l-predator-v8/

Edited by st22eve
  • Like 2

I'm surprised that either GM or Ford haven't done a 600-700HP version of their big SUVs.  People are already happy to pay $100k for an Escalade or Navigator, why not have a $120k-$130k version with something fun under the hood.  If they can sell trucks like the Raptor as well as they do then I would think they could make some good money on a high performance full size SUV.  It might not be all that great of a "drivers car" but I am guessing a ton of people would still want one who really don't hard about how it handles in anything other than 55 mph city roads.

53 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I'm surprised that either GM or Ford haven't done a 600-700HP version of their big SUVs.  People are already happy to pay $100k for an Escalade or Navigator, why not have a $120k-$130k version with something fun under the hood.  If they can sell trucks like the Raptor as well as they do then I would think they could make some good money on a high performance full size SUV.  It might not be all that great of a "drivers car" but I am guessing a ton of people would still want one who really don't hard about how it handles in anything other than 55 mph city roads.

I assume it has to do with the government tighter emissions standards.  I bet there is someone here that can comment more objectively on that opinion.

2 hours ago, RyanB said:

They get 660 horsepower in the 2020 Ford GT. I’m a MOPAR guy, but I’m also continually impressed with the EcoBoost (as long as we are talking power and not MPG). 

Yes, but the GT barely weighs 3,000 lbs. You can run an engine much harder with lighter loads.

2 hours ago, st22eve said:

I just read that the 2021 Raptor will be getting the GT 500 5.2 Predator Supercharged engine which i believe is 760Hp. Ram may have jumped the gun a bit with the reveal and the T-rex tossin the Raptor around 🤷🏼‍♂️ should be a good pissin match!

https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/next-gen-ford-f-150-raptor-will-get-supercharged-5-2l-predator-v8/

The Hellcat Redeye is 797 HP. And the Demon version of the engine is 840 HP. Both already in production for a couple years. I think that RAM has room to increase power in years to come. 

And it’s a wonderful world where we think 700 HP isn’t enough. 

50 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

Yes, but the GT barely weighs 3,000 lbs. You can run an engine much harder with lighter loads.

Yes. But the GT is also built to run things like LeMans. If it can run basically 24 hours at WOT, I don’t think increasing the weight of the vehicle and running WOT for less time would negatively affect reliability. 

That said, a V8 still has a huge advantage in the sound it makes. Which is also part of the equation. 

What’s really funny is how they smoke the 35” tires, when you’re towing a 23LSV and gas it a little too hard at the stop light.

Edited by surfdude
4 minutes ago, surfdude said:

What’s really funny is how they smoke the 35” tires, when you’re towing a 23LSV and gas it a little too hard at the stop light.

With a little suspension work you could probably fix that.

• Haha 2

The real question is whether the TRX will have the rapid depreciation that its other 1500 models share?  The Raptor depreciates like a diesel, which makes it an easier 70k+ price for some buyers to swallow knowing they won't take a bath on resale (and it will be resale, as Raptor leases are garbage).  

14 hours ago, RyanB said:

The Hellcat Redeye is 797 HP. And the Demon version of the engine is 840 HP. Both already in production for a couple years. I think that RAM has room to increase power in years to come. 

And it’s a wonderful world where we think 700 HP isn’t enough. 

My first 89 Mustang GT had 225 HP and I thought that was fast back then.  Four bangers get that now a days.