Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat sank on the Willamette

kylesullens

This happened in Portland, Oregon over the weekend

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2020/08/boat-sinks-on-willamette-river-as-trump-boat-parade-passes-by.html

The video is edited such that you can't tell what caused the initial intake of water, or how the boat was sitting in the water prior to the incident.

Scary times for this family.  Hopefully the kids aren't scarred for life.

Those trump boat parades look fun but my rule about visiting Portland is “only when absolutely necessary.”  Very suspicious editing on the video here.  If this were Idaho the headline could read “trump parade saves sunk boaters”.  Every boater in Pdx knew there was a boat big boat parade that day.  Same day trump tweets/posts to IG vocal support for these boat parades too.  Very fishy! 

I live in Portland Area.  Local Channel 12 News reported this morning that during the Trump parade a boat sank.  Then at the end of the story mentioned the boat was NOT swamped by a parade boat but another boat that was passing by.  Wakesurfer?  Large Cabin Crusier?  Don't know as they leave that out of the story.  Yesterday saw temperature in triple digits here.  Lots of boats on the water.   Hard to tell how the poor folks got swamped.  Glad they are all safe.  

We had a trump parade this past weekend.. almost 750-1k boats.. u could not imagine the waves building everyone going about 5-8mph and cruisers plowing.. the waves build and build and when hundreds of boats it's insane.. I easily dipped my 25 lsv bow twice and had to fill all back ballast and plow nose up  because if u went down a roller it was not good.. it was sort of intense driving lot of toons taking water over nose everyone had to move to back on most boats.. given this was an open bow I can say 100% their bow dipped going down a roller.. the rollers formed quite long so when u go down them u basically would be going through deep into the bottom of the next wave .. they were longer and and different from just one boat..

Scarry and smaller boat would have no chance stabing into that low into a wave.. 

1 hour ago, PNWoke said:

Those trump boat parades look fun but my rule about visiting Portland is “only when absolutely necessary.”  Very suspicious editing on the video here.  If this were Idaho the headline could read “trump parade saves sunk boaters”.  Every boater in Pdx knew there was a boat big boat parade that day.  Same day trump tweets/posts to IG vocal support for these boat parades too.  Very fishy! 

that is my exact attitude about portland.  it would be fun to be in one of these parades.

hopefully the full video emerges (if it exists) to see what really happened.

22 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

that is my exact attitude about portland.  it would be fun to be in one of these parades.

hopefully the full video emerges (if it exists) to see what really happened.

The aquatic version of "The Running of the Bulls in Pamplona".  :)

It looks like two dudes were standing in the bow taking videos with their phones and then then next frame (after some video editing) is them going down. Not a lot of freeboard on that boat to sit nose into the waves. Glad they're all okay but seems like a series of bad choices.

• Like 3

Lakes > Rivers

Drive over the river on a bridge, and keep driving to the lake. 

Also, I'm the OG boating social distancer. No matter the cause for the "rally" or the "protest", no thanks. Spending time in a moving boat is to be done with a maximum of 3 other boats within your view line. It's clearly bumps up the danger level, and that makes it not fun anymore.

• Like 2

I would want absolutely nothing to do with that kind of mayhem on the river.   If I am out on a weekend, it's going to be early in the morning, or in the spring or fall.  80% of the time we are the only boat on our stretch of the river.  In general though, if other boats are out during those times, they know what they are doing as well, making for a respectful, safe time.

This could have been a disaster.

• Like 3

How “dangerous” are these parades in reality? Keep in mind there were thousands of boats in the greater PDX waterways that day, hundreds in the direct vicinity or taking part in the parade.  Only 1 had problems which look to most experienced boaters as “operator error”.  I was born and raised boating on the PNW big rivers.  That type of chop can easily come up with quick weather changes (just happened in my neck of the woods Sunday while I was boating).  The operator of the sunken boat should have controlled his boat and it’s occupants better, bottom line.  

13 minutes ago, PNWoke said:

How “dangerous” are these parades in reality? Keep in mind there were thousands of boats in the greater PDX waterways that day, hundreds in the direct vicinity or taking part in the parade.  Only 1 had problems which look to most experienced boaters as “operator error”.  I was born and raised boating on the PNW big rivers.  That type of chop can easily come up with quick weather changes (just happened in my neck of the woods Sunday while I was boating).  The operator of the sunken boat should have controlled his boat and it’s occupants better, bottom line.  

I think (hope) most agree that this was operator error.

Also, on this stretch of the river, having your kids out on a tube with that much boat traffic is not a good idea.  Another sign of inexperience.

1 hour ago, PNWoke said:

How “dangerous” are these parades in reality? Keep in mind there were thousands of boats in the greater PDX waterways that day, hundreds in the direct vicinity or taking part in the parade.  

Have there been incidents in other parades?  Aren't they going on all over the country?  The one here on LKN was huge.  

While there was a fighting chance to reverse it, this probably just sealed the fate of the proposed no-wake zone along the entire stretch of that waterway. Going to be a great place to kayak and SUP for miles soon. Not that I see a reason to go near downtown ever again, but what happens on the lower or upper Willamette tends to spread to the other section.

From what I can tell above though, @The Hulkhas the correct boat positioning and speed, and is running light on bow ballast to survive the toon wakes all around him.

These pics were a calm area!!! There were some bays when turning the waves were building waaaay higher..

Black boat new $105k trintoon with 2 ppl in board almost dipped nose. First pic looking at rear of toon look at the angle it's going down a roller!!

Few boat owners in our boat could not believe the waves forming and we had to ride several down sideways as not to stab/dip bottom of waves. They in several occasions mentioned they were soo glad they were not driving.. 

On some website we see stupid comments about they must of been sideways.. they would still be floating if they were sideways.. taking them straight on with these low bow ski boats.. not good.  Lot of ski boats like that their bow is barely 1ft above water.. hard to take on 4-5 ft rollers with 1-1.5 ft or less bow height. You have to plow bow up! Granted everyone doing this makes it worse and worse for the folks behind haha. 

20200818_220909.jpg

Screenshot_20200818-220824_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20200818-220448_Video Player.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

I wouldn’t go near downtown PDX in a wakeboat unless you spec’d your boat with the optional fire suppression system...

7F5DCCD8-78E0-4AC0-B688-20C71DC45EE1.gif

Can’t tell which of the last 82 or so nights you got that pic from, but the tower misters won’t cut it around here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, NWBU said:

While there was a fighting chance to reverse it, this probably just sealed the fate of the proposed no-wake zone along the entire stretch of that waterway. Going to be a great place to kayak and SUP for miles soon. Not that I see a reason to go near downtown ever again, but what happens on the lower or upper Willamette tends to spread to the other section.

From what I can tell above though, @The Hulkhas the correct boat positioning and speed, and is running light on bow ballast to survive the toon wakes all around him.

I'm afraid you could be right.. Glad everyone was OK, looks like one person could have been caught by the Bimini. This does not help our case, especially with the left City of Portland reps. I spoke with an insurance rep for the boat. 1994 Sanger, engine was off and they were switching tubers I guess. Boat went down on the West side of the river, ended up on the East side, Coast Guard dove down and sucked the fuel out of the tank, salvage was supposed to be today or tomorrow. 

My business partner was on the Upper Willamette both Saturday and Sunday and he said not many people up there. The new surf rules seem to keep people away I guess..which makes other places like the Lower more crowded.

Say what you want about Portland, but sold a Xstar to a guy who lives downtown, he's parked it on the street hooked up to his G wagon several times this summer overnight and nobody has messed with it.