Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust sensors on 2008 Wakesetter 247

Does anyone know what the wires from these sensors are on this photo( from another boat picture online)   my 2008 has the sensors but no Wires?  

Screenshot_20200817-130136~2.png

Those are O2 sensors.  It is possible that someone bypassed the sensor with a resistor.  You should be able to find the connector somewhere near there tucked away, and I'm guessing it has a resistor stuck in it to fool the ECM into thinking the exhaust is fine.

In 2008 Indmar used post cat temperature sensors and in 2009 they had post cat O2 sensors.  There was a high failure rate on the 2008 post cat temperature sensors so there was an ECM update to prevent a failed sensor from causing a Service Required alarm.  The alternate repair was to cut the harness and connect a 470 ohm resistor to it to simulate a properly working sensor.  The bottom line is, if you are not getting and alarm while running the engine, one of these updates has likely already been done and the sensors in the exhaust down pipes actually do nothing.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, WGjames said:

Thank you. I'm wondering if it would be better to just plug the holes

What better to plug a hole than the sensor that was designed for it?

Yeah I guess that's true they have a funky little elbow on them I thought might get caught or broken off. Looks like I found a wire harness with what looks like a resistor jumpered across it must be what it is.

IMG_20200819_122314.jpg

22 hours ago, csleaver said:

In 2008 Indmar used post cat temperature sensors and in 2009 they had post cat O2 sensors.  There was a high failure rate on the 2008 post cat temperature sensors so there was an ECM update to prevent a failed sensor from causing a Service Required alarm.  The alternate repair was to cut the harness and connect a 470 ohm resistor to it to simulate a properly working sensor.  The bottom line is, if you are not getting and alarm while running the engine, one of these updates has likely already been done and the sensors in the exhaust down pipes actually do nothing.

Makes sense. Does anyone know if the problem persisted past 08-9? Like 012?

30 minutes ago, TNgillster said:

Makes sense. Does anyone know if the problem persisted past 08-9? Like 012?

2012 Indmar engines used pre and post cat exhaust O2 sensors.  2008 and a very few 2009 models had the post cat temperature exhaust sensors.