Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 21vlx Oxygen A fuel Trim High

Hello all, I got the dreaded OXYGEN A FUEL TRIIM HIGH (SHORT-TERM, BANK1) SPN:4236 FM1:0

I have the Raptor 410 motor with 235hrs on it. 

I pulled all 4 o2 sensors, cleaned them and then swapped them to see if the fault would go away or if it came back (which it did) Id see if it followed a bad o2 sensor. Well the same code came back so not an o2 sensor.

I also took it out and ran it hard like some have suggested.  I'm going back today to look for a loose ground, loose v bands , loose bolts to exhaust  manifold. 

Any other suggestions? 

3 minutes ago, JustWally said:

Hello all, I got the dreaded OXYGEN A FUEL TRIIM HIGH (SHORT-TERM, BANK1) SPN:4236 FM1:0

I pulled all 4 o2 sensors, cleaned them and then swapped them to see if the fault would go away or if it came back (which it did) Id see if it followed a bad o2 sensor. Well the same code came back so not an o2 sensor.

I also took it out and ran it hard like some have suggested.  I'm going back today to look for a loose ground, loose v bands , loose bolts to exhaust  manifold. 

Any other suggestions? 

You probably have bad catalytic converters. This was a known problem in 17.

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
17 hours ago, Hemmy said:

You probably have bad catalytic converters. This was a known problem in 17.

Agree with this. Unfortunately there is tons of info out there of complete failure of the catalyst. Pull the sensors again and try to see if you can see the face of the catalyst, but my guess is it’s probably gone and you need new exhaust manifolds.

21 hours ago, JustWally said:

Any other suggestions? 

As stated by @ahopkinsVTX and @Hemmy, it sounds like catalytic converter failure.  I just went through this on my '17 22VLX a few weeks ago and the dealer had me back on the water in a couple days.  If you pull the post cat sensors on both sides, you can confirm.  Port side on mine had a huge hole in the center and the starboard side cat was completely gone.  As long as you can get the parts, your dealer should have you out quickly.  

Update: I went back to do some more troubleshooting and low and behold I mistook 2 smaller sensors on the J pipe for the other set of O2 sensors. I swapped the real O2 sensors and the code followed the bad O2 sensor. Changing it shortly....I'll keep you posted.

Bad O2 sensor. $67 at advanced auto....problem solved. BTW, you have to have the O2 sensor tool to get them out. You can get that at any auto parts store or online. Super easy fix. 

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, JustWally said:

Update: same code 2 days ago. Lots of white smoke while surfing. 
What’s the procedure to inspect the cats?

Boat should be under warranty so take it to the dealer.

1 hour ago, JustWally said:

Update: same code 2 days ago. Lots of white smoke while surfing. 
What’s the procedure to inspect the cats?

As I said before, pull the post cat O2 sensors and look inside.  You will either see an intact element, a compromised element, or none at all.  In my case, on side was completely gone and the other had a large hole in it.  Like @Hemmy said, take it to your dealer.  

I had mine fixed under warranty so I don't know the cost.  I am sure this is not a cheap, fix it at home project you would want to absorb the cost on just to get back on the water quicker.