Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Paddlewheel Unit Replacement & Wiring

Hi Folks - I have a 2005 Malibu Response LX with an Indmar LCR Engine.  Question, the fins on my paddlewheel unit have sheered off completely.  Still works but I'm probably going to replace the entire unit.  Years of catching the bunks on the trailer (poor design) have caused them to say "see ya!".  With that being said if I order a new unit can I remove the wiring from the old unit and land the existing wires on the new unit?  Or do I need to pull the new back to the dash?  Just thinking ahead.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, kylegansel said:

Hi Folks - I have a 2005 Malibu Response LX with an Indmar LCR Engine.  Question, the fins on my paddlewheel unit have sheered off completely.  Still works but I'm probably going to replace the entire unit.  Years of catching the bunks on the trailer (poor design) have caused them to say "see ya!".  With that being said if I order a new unit can I remove the wiring from the old unit and land the existing wires on the new unit?  Or do I need to pull the new back to the dash?  Just thinking ahead.  Thanks!

Others with more experience will probably reply, but if the housing is not damage you can just replace the paddle wheel without changing the whole unit.  One member here reported a few years ago that he padded his trailer bunks and left a void in that one spot so that the paddle wheel was not stressed when the boat was at rest on the trailer.

Thanks.  I know for sure that the housing is damaged as the fins are connected to the housing.  I need to replace the whole unit not just the wheel itself.  

On mine the wiring is a sealed permanent connection at the paddle wheel.  Not worth try to splice into the old wiring. Just fish the new back to the dash.

This is what it looks like if you open up the insulation. Maybe 22 gauge wire, hard to seal it back up.

IMG_20200413_140825.jpg

Replaced mine last year.  It is a complete unit with the wire attached.  At least on mine, the paddle assy also has the lake temp sensor in it.  If you cut the wire and solder, I think you would need to recalibrate the temp.  Even possible???

just gary is correct, you can buy a paddle wheel service kit.  (Bakes, Great Lakes Skipper...etc)  Comes with he paddle wheel and a replacement o-ring.  If your housing is reusable, its much cheaper way to go.

If you get the complete replacement, use the old wire as a "fish" to pull the new one through with.  Tape it to the end and carefully pull it through.