Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

eubanks

M5/M6 Impeller Failures

JWBeav

I should know in a few days how the impeller looks after 40 hours of water time.  The previous owner is getting the boat serviced and he is curious as well as he has a 2021 on order.  As I pointed out in an earlier email the guy I am purchasing the boat from works for the local Malibu dealer.  He has heard the problem is that the pump is dry initially when the boat starts (after trailered) and they are working on a priming system.  I guess time will tell but it would be nice to receive an update from Malibu as many of us have thousands of $$ invested.  

Sixer
4 hours ago, COOP said:

This is probably an accurate assessment. However, from what Im being told this new pump is not the solution to the issue.

Does that imply that if I order a 2021 there is still potentially an issue??  Makes me nervous for sure..........

Gene3x
49 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Does that imply that if I order a 2021 there is still potentially an issue??  Makes me nervous for sure..........

Same issue yes. I just ordered a 2021 and am a little bit nervous about what is to come. 🤔

ahopkinsVTX
8 hours ago, Gene3x said:

Same issue yes. I just ordered a 2021 and am a little bit nervous about what is to come. 🤔

That’s not what I’ve heard. I have heard the fix is in place for new builds. Unless you are referring to that the boats still have an impeller, and a housing so yes the potential is still there. Which is why everyone should carry a spare. I’ve been doing it since I was in high school and just boring my dads 98 moomba outback. 

@AxleGrease99, listening for every and any tiny change while operating the boat shouldn’t bring doubt into your mind. It should make you more confident that you are in tune with your boat. Boats are finicky. Every single one I’ve ever owned or been on, from a 14’ aluminum fishing boat with a 10HP Johnson to a 46’ sea ray with twin diesels. Things can change in a matter of minutes and paying attention like that is what will prevent most issues or at least catch them right away before they become major. In my opinion no one should ever operate their boat blindly without paying attention to every detail, feature and sound. 

COOP
10 hours ago, Gene3x said:

Ive been told that 2021 builds are implementing the change.

dwc032
Posted (edited)

@COOP I just spoke to my dealer and advised him that I am on my 3rd impeller in 120 hours.  The boat was dropped off at the dealer to have some issues fixed. I asked about the impeller and pump issue and what the fix was..  I also asked about the pulley system on the M6 grenading.  I was told there is an update.  I asked what it was and was told "there is an update",  I said ok....lol   

Edited by dwc032

COOP

The update so far is a new ECM calibration, and a pressure relief valve on the exhaust y pipe.

Still nothing new on the impeller itself. If youve gone through three impellers in 120hrs Id replace the pump. 

dwc032
24 minutes ago, COOP said:

The update so far is a new ECM calibration, and a pressure relief valve on the exhaust y pipe.

Still nothing new on the impeller itself. If youve gone through three impellers in 120hrs Id replace the pump. 

Good info and I relayed that message weeks ago.  So we will see.  

JWBeav

We received our 2020 23 LSV 2 weeks ago and prior to sending the owner had the impeller replaced.  After 40-some hours it looked brand new with all fins in perfect condition.  Not sure why some boats have problems while others do not.  Have a friend who has a 2021 and had his impeller go on him last weekend after 30 hours!  Sure hope they get this figured out and provide a fix to all of us!

Outlaw

Our impeller went after about 30 hrs from new. Dealer said Malibu tried a new impeller vendor with different material. Apparently there’s a whole new pump coming this winter. I first notice when exhaust got too warm and boat went into limp. Engine temp fine. Big recall coming. 

Sparky450

I agree!!! Crazy how some have had problems and others have not. I have 325+ on my 2019 with no problems that weren't expected. I lost one impeller after my strainer plugged. That impeller had over 200 hrs on it!!! I now have over 100hrs on the impeller in my boat. It will be changed this winter.

Edited by Sparky450

Outlaw
12 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I agree!!! Crazy how some have had problems and others have not. I have 325+ on my 2019 with no problems that weren't expected. I lost one impeller after my strainer plugged. That impeller had over 200 hrs on it!!! I now have over 100hrs on the impeller in my boat. It will be changed this winter.

Gonna be a bunch changed this winter courtesy of Malibu.

dwc032
6 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Gonna be a bunch changed this winter courtesy of Malibu.

Let’s hope. All I was told is there is a software update and that’s it.  We will see.