Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5/M6 Impeller Failures

eubanks

I should know in a few days how the impeller looks after 40 hours of water time.  The previous owner is getting the boat serviced and he is curious as well as he has a 2021 on order.  As I pointed out in an earlier email the guy I am purchasing the boat from works for the local Malibu dealer.  He has heard the problem is that the pump is dry initially when the boat starts (after trailered) and they are working on a priming system.  I guess time will tell but it would be nice to receive an update from Malibu as many of us have thousands of $$ invested.  

4 hours ago, COOP said:

This is probably an accurate assessment. However, from what Im being told this new pump is not the solution to the issue.

Does that imply that if I order a 2021 there is still potentially an issue??  Makes me nervous for sure..........

49 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Does that imply that if I order a 2021 there is still potentially an issue??  Makes me nervous for sure..........

Same issue yes. I just ordered a 2021 and am a little bit nervous about what is to come. 🤔

8 hours ago, Gene3x said:

Same issue yes. I just ordered a 2021 and am a little bit nervous about what is to come. 🤔

That’s not what I’ve heard. I have heard the fix is in place for new builds. Unless you are referring to that the boats still have an impeller, and a housing so yes the potential is still there. Which is why everyone should carry a spare. I’ve been doing it since I was in high school and just boring my dads 98 moomba outback. 

@AxleGrease99, listening for every and any tiny change while operating the boat shouldn’t bring doubt into your mind. It should make you more confident that you are in tune with your boat. Boats are finicky. Every single one I’ve ever owned or been on, from a 14’ aluminum fishing boat with a 10HP Johnson to a 46’ sea ray with twin diesels. Things can change in a matter of minutes and paying attention like that is what will prevent most issues or at least catch them right away before they become major. In my opinion no one should ever operate their boat blindly without paying attention to every detail, feature and sound. 

• 4 weeks later...

@COOP I just spoke to my dealer and advised him that I am on my 3rd impeller in 120 hours.  The boat was dropped off at the dealer to have some issues fixed. I asked about the impeller and pump issue and what the fix was..  I also asked about the pulley system on the M6 grenading.  I was told there is an update.  I asked what it was and was told "there is an update",  I said ok....lol   

Edited by dwc032

The update so far is a new ECM calibration, and a pressure relief valve on the exhaust y pipe.

Still nothing new on the impeller itself. If youve gone through three impellers in 120hrs Id replace the pump. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, COOP said:

The update so far is a new ECM calibration, and a pressure relief valve on the exhaust y pipe.

Still nothing new on the impeller itself. If youve gone through three impellers in 120hrs Id replace the pump. 

Good info and I relayed that message weeks ago.  So we will see.  

We received our 2020 23 LSV 2 weeks ago and prior to sending the owner had the impeller replaced.  After 40-some hours it looked brand new with all fins in perfect condition.  Not sure why some boats have problems while others do not.  Have a friend who has a 2021 and had his impeller go on him last weekend after 30 hours!  Sure hope they get this figured out and provide a fix to all of us!

• Confused 1

Our impeller went after about 30 hrs from new. Dealer said Malibu tried a new impeller vendor with different material. Apparently there’s a whole new pump coming this winter. I first notice when exhaust got too warm and boat went into limp. Engine temp fine. Big recall coming. 

I agree!!! Crazy how some have had problems and others have not. I have 325+ on my 2019 with no problems that weren't expected. I lost one impeller after my strainer plugged. That impeller had over 200 hrs on it!!! I now have over 100hrs on the impeller in my boat. It will be changed this winter.

Edited by Sparky450
12 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I agree!!! Crazy how some have had problems and others have not. I have 325+ on my 2019 with no problems that weren't expected. I lost one impeller after my strainer plugged. That impeller had over 200 hrs on it!!! I now have over 100hrs on the impeller in my boat. It will be changed this winter.

Gonna be a bunch changed this winter courtesy of Malibu.

6 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Gonna be a bunch changed this winter courtesy of Malibu.

Let’s hope. All I was told is there is a software update and that’s it.  We will see. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2020 at 11:08 PM, gregtay said:

Still shocked that I have managed to go 100 hours on my M6 without an impeller issue. But as @csleaver said... no recall, only a service bulletin. Malibu will get this figured out.

This pic shows why I think the flush kit (stern hose hook up) has saved me from having any impeller issues on my M6. It has a check valve, just below where the line feels the raw water pump. My dealer filled the raw water side with coolent when they had it the shop (winterizing it while addressing a  bunch of other things.) The check valve prevents the coolent from draining from the water pump/impeller.

20201220_095134.thumb.jpg.12d75b92fa6579e796adce1f901ba919.jpg

• Like 1

@gregtay, I see someone pulled the strainer assembly out of that free hanging bundle clamp shown in the back ground. Probably to allow room for the flush kit to go on and not rub against anything. I had the same clamp set up on mine, which I promptly removed. When that assembly is attached to the block, it put a crimp in the line running down to the ball kock valve. It restricted flow by a good 30% on mine. I now have it similarly attached with little to no pressure on the closest oil line fitting (shown in the background) which takes out that crimp. I also put a PVC sleeve around the line at the crimped area to keep it open as much as possible. 300 hours now with no issues.

Edited by wdr
Cl

I have talked to my service advisor at my dealer.  My 23 MXZ has been at the dealer since early October. I have asked him several times what the impeller fix is. He said it’s been addressed by Malibu and that’s as much as he knows. I asked him about the impeller pump and if it has been replaced and if there are any impeller pump recalls by Malibu. He had a generic answer. I even sent a link to this post, we will see what he says. 

8 hours ago, dwc032 said:

I have talked to my service advisor at my dealer.  My 23 MXZ has been at the dealer since early October. I have asked him several times what the impeller fix is. He said it’s been addressed by Malibu and that’s as much as he knows. I asked him about the impeller pump and if it has been replaced and if there are any impeller pump recalls by Malibu. He had a generic answer. I even sent a link to this post, we will see what he says. 

He wont say much. The official fix still isnt in. 

The 2021s that we have here have the same pumps on them. 

10 minutes ago, COOP said:

He wont say much. The official fix still isnt in. 

The 2021s that we have here have the same pumps on them. 

Well, that's a drag.  I understand the supply chain issue.  I'll be addressing this with my dealer when my 2021 is built and delivered. 

Thanks for the information @COOP.

3 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Well, that's a drag.  I understand the supply chain issue.  I'll be addressing this with my dealer when my 2021 is built and delivered. 

Thanks for the information @COOP.

Well, that is weird.. when the mechanic at my dealer was looking over my boat with me prior to taking it to Alabama in middle of October, I was asking for a spare impeller and commented that I have heard there is a different impeller.  They did get confirmation the impeller is different but didn't tell me what it is and that they didn't have any on hand...  Also, the mechanic did say the pump housing looked different.. I can't see them switching from 2020 pump to a different pump then back.   Who knows..

1 hour ago, bcoppess23 said:

Well, that is weird.. when the mechanic at my dealer was looking over my boat with me prior to taking it to Alabama in middle of October, I was asking for a spare impeller and commented that I have heard there is a different impeller.  They did get confirmation the impeller is different but didn't tell me what it is and that they didn't have any on hand...  Also, the mechanic did say the pump housing looked different.. I can't see them switching from 2020 pump to a different pump then back.   Who knows..

If the boat got a Johnson pump they look a bit different than the Sherwood pumps.

The rumor is that they will start using run dry impellers, but I have not heard anything official as of right now.

3 hours ago, COOP said:

If the boat got a Johnson pump they look a bit different than the Sherwood pumps.

The rumor is that they will start using run dry impellers, but I have not heard anything official as of right now.

Interesting.  The benefit being that the water drains from the suction side of the pump and it's at the top of the engine having to run dry longer than normal?  Hopefully there are no issues with priming using the run dry.

• 5 weeks later...

No there is not. I have had my 2020 23 MXZ for almost a year and after 120 hours and three impellers, there is no fix.  I have discussed this in length with my dealer. They have been very vague about what the problem is and what the fix is. I am being told it is a software update which has been done to my boat when it was winterized. I will keep everyone updated. With that said, I am not very optimistic at this point. I always have 2 spare impellers in the boat.