Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5/M6 Impeller Failures

eubanks

1 minute ago, NWBU said:

The 2020 I built didn’t have a flush kit and it’s run 105 hours with no impeller issues at all. So weird how some boats have repeat impeller issues and others with similar setups go all season.

I have a feeling its a impeller and housing spec issues.... if ou get a bad impeller and you housing spec jsut happens to be off by a bit it falls apart almost instantly.... if you get a good impeller and your housing is to spec it last as its suppose to ? i dunno...

15 minutes ago, NWBU said:

The 2020 I built didn’t have a flush kit and it’s run 105 hours with no impeller issues at all. So weird how some boats have repeat impeller issues and others with similar setups go all season.

Agreed. My boat has 89 hours and we’ve already smoked 3 impellers. 

On 9/2/2020 at 1:31 PM, dwc032 said:

I pulled the impeller yesterday.  I have 79 hours on my 2020 23 MXZ.  Factory impeller was changed at 61 hours.  It was toast.  I pulled the second impeller yesterday which had 19 hours on it and was missing two of the rubber pump pieces.  I installed a new one.  So in 79 hours, I have replaced the impeller three times.  My dealer does not have a fix for me, but have been very good to deal with.  Crappy thing is, is I have not been able to find a spare impeller.    

Have them replace the entire pump.

I have pumps and impellers here.

On 9/2/2020 at 2:12 PM, dwc032 said:

I haven't tried.  I've just been using whatever the dealer gives me.  I guess I should look at a better one from Bakes.  Thanks for the link!

Bakes has Malibu drop ship impellers. So they are the same one the dealers get.

Btw, the latest batch I got in are in Staycool pumps bags.

Edited by COOP
On 9/2/2020 at 2:55 PM, agarabaghi said:

Buddy just got his new water pump installed by his dealer, 

Johnson all brass pump with a different impeller (obviously).... havent seen it yet so dont know the differences...

Yep, we have installed one or two of these as well. Time will tell.

48 minutes ago, COOP said:

Have them replace the entire pump.

I have pumps and impellers here.

Do I just tell them to replace it?  Don’t want to step on any toes and piss my dealer off...lol

14 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

Do I just tell them to replace it?  Don’t want to step on any toes and piss my dealer off...lol

It shouldnt piss them off. If they have talked to the Malibu engine guys they should have already told them to replace it.

51 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

@COOP are these pumps the same Johnsons that have been used for ages?  How are they driven and held in place?

The actual pump housing/casing looks like the sherwood set up, but brass, and accepts the pulley. Bolts into the same place. 

Edited by COOP
8 hours ago, Gene3x said:

Has anyone had a globe impeller fail yet here?   I just ordered 2 of them just in case. Thoughts?  

I’m running a jmp which is similar to globe... designed to run dry / last longer. No issues yet. But I also didn’t have any issues with a stay cool branded impeller. Only impeller I had issues with was one the dealer installed. 

So someone yesterday posted a picture of a brass impeller pump on an M5/M6 motor and it has since been removed.  Does anyone know if that is the confirmed fix and will be covered under warranty?  We just purchased a 2020 with 87 hours and it had its impeller replaced at 50 hours and will so again prior to us taking ownership.  I asked the owner to get some pic's to see how much, if any, it has broken down.

1 hour ago, JWBeav said:

So someone yesterday posted a picture of a brass impeller pump on an M5/M6 motor and it has since been removed.  Does anyone know if that is the confirmed fix and will be covered under warranty?  We just purchased a 2020 with 87 hours and it had its impeller replaced at 50 hours and will so again prior to us taking ownership.  I asked the owner to get some pic's to see how much, if any, it has broken down.

I saw the picture also. No idea why it’s been taken down. I’ve smoked 2 impellers on my m6 23 mxz in 91 hours. So I’d like to get a fix for the impeller.   My dealer hasn’t mentioned one thing about replacing the impeller housing. 

Just an honest guess here, I saw the picture too and no I didn’t take it down. My guess is if the supply change is still struggle to get parts in, then the poster was requested to take it down (it’s happened many times in the past with new model launches, etc) so not everyone single person calls their dealer today asking about it and completely draining the supply chain. Again that’s just a guess based on my gut and the previously made statements about how thin the supply chain is. I do admit that if I had failed impellers and saw that picture I’d be making a call though. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

I saw the picture also. No idea why it’s been taken down. I’ve smoked 2 impellers on my m6 23 mxz in 91 hours. So I’d like to get a fix for the impeller.   My dealer hasn’t mentioned one thing about replacing the impeller housing. 

If you've gone through two impellers in less than 100 hrs Id replace the pump. 

5 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Just an honest guess here, I saw the picture too and no I didn’t take it down. My guess is if the supply change is still struggle to get parts in, then the poster was requested to take it down (it’s happened many times in the past with new model launches, etc) so not everyone single person calls their dealer today asking about it and completely draining the supply chain. Again that’s just a guess based on my gut and the previously made statements about how thin the supply chain is. I do admit that if I had failed impellers and saw that picture I’d be making a call though. 

100% correct. There just isnt any to be had currently.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, COOP said:

100% correct. There just isnt any to be had currently.

Well... my guess is there are plenty for the new boats rolling down the line... but not for the people who have actually already paid for their boats. Malibu isn't going to stop the money train.

12 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Well... my guess is there are plenty for the new boats rolling down the line... but not for the people who have actually already paid for their boats. Malibu isn't going to stop the money train.

Not fake news. 

27 minutes ago, AxleGrease99 said:

Not fake news. 

39 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I don't disagree this may be the case but why upset more, potentially new, people and put a sour taste in their mouth?  To the existing customers, damage is done, it can't be fixed fast enough and there is a work-around as terrible as it is..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregtay said:

This is probably an accurate assessment. However, from what Im being told this new pump is not the solution to the issue.

1 hour ago, COOP said:

This is probably an accurate assessment. However, from what Im being told this new pump is not the solution to the issue.

Ok, what is the issue then?  As we have discussed, it sucks to have to be replacing impellers every 5 to 50 hours....lol 

2 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

I don't disagree this may be the case but why upset more, potentially new, people and put a sour taste in their mouth?  To the existing customers, damage is done, it can't be fixed fast enough and there is a work-around as terrible as it is..

I understand and respect that point of view.

However, here I am with my first Malibu that cost me a small fortune and I’m struggling to trust it. Every time there’s a slight hesitation, an abnormal sound or anything that just seems different it makes me wonder if I’m going to have additional issues or be stranded.

The biggest disappointment is receiving exactly zero communication about this from Malibu. My dealer has been helpful but even an email from corporate saying “hey, we’re working on it” would go a long way. Funny part is I’ve received at least 3 surveys from a Malibu asking how my dealer did. May be time for some self evaluation on their part. 

36 minutes ago, AxleGrease99 said:

The biggest disappointment is receiving exactly zero communication about this from Malibu. 

This!  We discussed this early in this thread and there are different points of view... but in my opinion its pretty crappy for a luxury company to just say nothing to their customers on this.

• Like 1