Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 LSV vs M220

geogilbert

I figure this will be a debated topic fairly soon so here we go.

I am boatless for the 1st time in about 2 decades and trying to stay sane buy shopping for 2021. 

I know there are a bunch of unknowns with the M220 but, if it were you,  what would be your deciding factors?

(On a 22 foot lake so those are pretty much the options.)

32 minutes ago, geogilbert said:

I am boatless for the 1st time in about 2 decades and trying to stay sane buy shopping for 2021. 

I know there are a bunch of unknowns with the M220 but, if it were you,  what would be your deciding factors?

In Cbus, do you buy from the dealer out of Akron or Cinnci?  No bearing on the topic but wondered.  My mom lives in Dublin.

I am also in Dublin. I have become a pretty big fan of No Wake in Cincinnati. I have done business in the past with others but, No Wake treats us right and they even come up and do periodic service calls. If you guys are interested in talking boats or maybe taking a look at some of the different ones hit me with a PM. Our boat club has at least 1 of pretty much everything under 22 feet. 

43 minutes ago, G Spot said:

Money to wave/performance ratio. I've not been on either so I have no insights.

Really more of a $ to wake thing for me as I am much more interested in Wakeboarding. Surfing is kinda an afterthought but I get the point. I did have a 2019 22 LSV and liked it a lot. So I think this is a great or greater kind of choice. 

Aside from the $$$s what would your decision be on. 

21 minutes ago, geogilbert said:

Our boat club has at least 1 of pretty much everything under 22 feet.

What boat club?  With the 22' limit, you are obviously on Griggs or O'Shaughnessy (though you can easily get away with a 23' on O'Shaughnessy, we have an '04 - '07 LSV that has been doing it for years).  I'm on O'Shaughnessy pretty much every weekend since I am a 4 minute drive to the ramp, though we use to boat Griggs when we were in my wife's condo behind Duranceaux park that is on Griggs (where the OSU boat house is located).  I think I saw your LSV for sale somewhere.

As for the boat - IMO, the upgrade is for the luxury aspect and probably a little more freeboard.  On the local lakes here, additional freeboard isn't necessary and the LSV is already pretty nice as-is.  M220 is baller though.  I'd take a hard look at M235 / M240 resale vs 23/25 LSV.  If in the end they have been depreciating by a similar dollar amount (instead of by a similar percentage) AND you intend on upgrading every few years, the M220 only make sense, as you are just tying up additional funds and not losing them in depreciation.  That makes it a lot easier to justify the additional cost.

I think of it this way.  Buy a 30k car that is worth 15k in 3 years.  Or a 50k car worth 35k in 3 years.  As long as I plan to get rid of it in 3 years, why not enjoy the nicer car because my overall cost (other than interest) is identical?  But if that 50k car ends up being worth 25k, well, that's a different discussion...

8 hours ago, geogilbert said:

I believe M220 is actually 22.5' long.  Not sure how strict your lake is.  Do they actually measure or look at specs?  If not, maybe the M220 name fools them. 

22 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I believe M220 is actually 22.5' long.  Not sure how strict your lake is.  Do they actually measure or look at specs?  If not, maybe the M220 name fools them. 

Shh...

• Like 3

I would get the m220. It comes with the 17” prop. The 22 lsv is 21’11 long with the 15” prop. It has the freeboard, and almost the weight of the 23. It doesn’t steer very well when weighted. Also doesn’t plane very quick, because of the short length. Also the 22lsv porpoises at higher speeds. On the plus side, the wake is pretty close to the 23 lsv. The 22lsv with plug and plays full will need and additional bow bag!! Not a bad boat, but I sold mine,and like my new 23 a lot more. If you could sneak in the m220, the nicer interior and length  would be worth it.

Edited by surfdude
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

What boat club? 

I live on Griggs. North most dock on the east side of the river. Also a member of SBC. 

2 hours ago, surfdude said:

The 22lsv with plug and plays full will need and additional bow bag!!

I am coming out of a 2019 22 LSV and was very happy with it. I ran 500lbs of led across the boat at the front of the walk and with that could fill the rear PnP to the top with 4 or so folks. Made an awesome wakeboaed wake. (PCM 409) it did not need nearly the bow weight my 2015 22 VLX required.

I am thinking the same setup with an M6 would be a pretty solid win. But, ya an M220 should probably, maybe, hopefully be better all around. 

But for that kind of $$$ a 2021 G is now in contention. Rumor has it that it will be a G22. 

5 hours ago, geogilbert said:

SBC. 

I had no idea this type of stuff existed.  Thanks for sharing.

With regards to the boat, it would be hard to go from what you had to two years newer for us.  I would be looking at getting the baby M.  Good luck and can't wait to see what direction you go!