Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub enclosure 2019 A22

Cody7thomas

Hi,

Just seeing what people have done or recommend on a sub enclosure. I have a 2019 A22 with SP2 with 4 icon 8's. I hear about people building an enclosure around there sub and would like to see some examples or learn why I can or can't do it. Also thinking of upgrading one set of icon 8's to rev10's. So I would have a set of each. What are your thoughts, just looking to upgrade the sound a little. 

what does the foot area (dont know the correct term) in front front of the drivers seat look like?  My 18 T23 has a removable panel (not solid fiberglass).  I recreated the panel and mounted a ported box on the back side of it using EPVC.  Only used 1/2", but would use 3/4" or a stiffer material if i have to do it again.

IMG_4044.jpeg

4 hours ago, Texan32 said:

what does the foot area (dont know the correct term) in front front of the drivers seat look like?  My 18 T23 has a removable panel (not solid fiberglass).  I recreated the panel and mounted a ported box on the back side of it using EPVC.  Only used 1/2", but would use 3/4" or a stiffer material if i have to do it again.

IMG_4044.jpeg

Thanks! Mine is all fiberglass. I am not sure how I would attach a box to the fiberglass. Do you feel it was worth adding the box? 

3 hours ago, Cody7thomas said:

Thanks! Mine is all fiberglass. I am not sure how I would attach a box to the fiberglass. Do you feel it was worth adding the box? 

That’s really hard to say. I don’t know what your access to that area looks like. i can tell you for fact, making my ported box made a DRAMATIC difference in sound quality/volume. Personally, knowing what I know now, i 100% would figure out a way to build a ported box. It honestly makes an incredible difference. 

I actually had one of these installed in my sealed helm; we were planning to cut the fiberglass and allow forward facing vent towards the drivers seat; but after installing with the seat area closed up; my shop called and asked me to come hear it.  I went to hear it and agreed; for my needs it was plenty loud & very clear.  I'm also putting 600 rms to it.  It is completely hidden and protected from the water.  I'm sure it's output wouldn't be enough for some; but it fits in with my cabin speakers and REV10 tower speakers really well.  The REV10's connect the midbass really nicely to the sub.  Sub is a Memphis.

https://bluaveaudio.com/enclosures#c41b0d7c-f2f1-4aed-b7d1-17ab4c4e61fa

rs=w:600,h:300,cg:true

• Thanks 1
On 8/15/2020 at 6:43 AM, tower210 said:

I actually had one of these installed in my sealed helm; we were planning to cut the fiberglass and allow forward facing vent towards the drivers seat; but after installing with the seat area closed up; my shop called and asked me to come hear it.  I went to hear it and agreed; for my needs it was plenty loud & very clear.  I'm also putting 600 rms to it.  It is completely hidden and protected from the water.  I'm sure it's output wouldn't be enough for some; but it fits in with my cabin speakers and REV10 tower speakers really well.  The REV10's connect the midbass really nicely to the sub.  Sub is a Memphis.

https://bluaveaudio.com/enclosures#c41b0d7c-f2f1-4aed-b7d1-17ab4c4e61fa

rs=w:600,h:300,cg:true

Thanks for the info. So what did you do with the existing hole in the fiberglass? Any photos? 

On 8/14/2020 at 6:39 PM, Texan32 said:

That’s really hard to say. I don’t know what your access to that area looks like. i can tell you for fact, making my ported box made a DRAMATIC difference in sound quality/volume. Personally, knowing what I know now, i 100% would figure out a way to build a ported box. It honestly makes an incredible difference. 

Thanks! So dumb question but if I build a box does it have to be ported or does a sealed one work too? I am not sure the benefits of either or what my stock wetsounds 10in sub will require. 

8 hours ago, Cody7thomas said:

Thanks for the info. So what did you do with the existing hole in the fiberglass? Any photos? 

My boat was a rare model without any sub woofer or any hole in the fiberglass..  Can't really help you here.

Sealed usually means tight, clean, musical bass; but with lower output than ported boxes.  Boxes are smaller

Ported boxes tend to be louder; with a port that is tuned to a specific frequency that you may want to target; ported boxes tend to be larger and might be harder to fit under the helm.

You need to make sure what your wetsounds sub is.  It may be infinate baffle; which isn't made to work in a box at all (or only one that is VERY LARGE).  IB subs tend to be much lower output.

Edited by tower210