Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone towing with a Tacoma?

shiftman

6 hours ago, PNWoke said:

My brother had that same boat in red, with that badass captains call exhaust.  Let me tell you, at 21-24 years old that boat was my space ship to a whole new world.  He upgraded to high dollar formulas after that and I never borrowed another boat from him again but that crownline I will always remember.  18 years later it’s still going strong in our marina, owned by a buddy.

it was an awesome boat, loved the exhaust, but decided we wanted to board and fell in love with the 23lsv back when they redesigned it in 2008.

On 8/12/2020 at 3:02 PM, PNWoke said:

I love Tacoma’s but they don’t make great tow rigs for items that are bigger than they are.  F-150+ may not have the weight of a 23lsv + but they have longer and wider wheelbases, usually larger gauge steel frames, and can handle more tongue weight as a result.  Will the Tacoma work? Of course, it’s like a survival tool they really can do it all.  But it won’t do it well, and it could easily result in extra maintenance costs on the Tacoma or an accident due to over loading.    FWIW I have a 23lsv and my 4.7 V8 lifted landcruiser struggles quite a bit even when it’s not fully loaded down.  Its hard enough that I’m going to have to buy a tow rig to make things more comfortable for our family.

I think that you are correct. The 2017 is my "baby" and I certainly would not want to stress it out. Cant really justify another truck just for a towing rig either. Kind of a quandary of sorts.

You guys crack me up. A semi trailer can weigh 80,000 pounds. You think the tractor is anywhere near that weight or even half that weight, no way. 

lots of us have fifth wheels that we tow with f250’s or 2500’s. My fifth wheel weighs 15,000 pounds loaded and my trucks curb weight is 6500 +or- pounds. Truck tows that fine. 

Id be more concerned about the tongue weight on your rear axles then anything else. Fortunately, boats are relatively tongue light so I think you should be A OK for your flat tow. 

Happy boarding and I don’t see the need to spend extra on a new truck if you don’t need to!