Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 M240 Leans to Starboard

TRLMalibu

Sorry to hear about your problems!!  I understand totally. I purchased a 2020 23 MXZ and it’s left me in limp mode on the lake both times I’ve taken it out this month. The dealer has been great, but doesn’t make it any easier. Hope you get it figured out and keep us posted. 

My 2021 240 was operating fine (just slight lean to starboard, but no diff than my 235) and then on a long ride at 20mph I noticed the boat was reaaaly leaning to starbord. Like I was worried we were gonna tip over :)

I checked the normal things, prop shaft rudder...I was flummoxed....I got behind the boat and noticed the starbord surfgate was not as flush as the port surfgate.

This is my first fusion surfgate boat, so I was surprised. The difference between port and starbord was slight (less than 1/2 inch) but I could tell a difference. 

I put the gates in service mode and let the boat do its thing re calibrating. 

Took the boat back out and all was back to normal.  Your issue prob more serious but just wanted to share my exp. To the naked eye I would not have noticed but I measured just as a try everything ..before I lost the boat for weeks for service. 

Sorry for your trouble.

Drew

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I know if the engine mounting is a little out of "plumb" it may cause it to lean. The engine should be mounted with a jig to get it exact but stranger thing have happened....

On 8/26/2020 at 11:41 PM, familyguy said:

To be fair, also loads cheaper, arguably better fit and finish, and arguably better wave. Flow 3.0 quite nice. Watch some wake9 videos.

I haven't shopped a Supra hard, but from what I see at boat shows, they aren't cheaper. 

So a 2021 rudder assembly is 1/4 inch larger in diameter than a 2020 M240, so they cannot swap rudders. The dealer just told me Malibu is taking the boat back to TN to try to figure out what is wrong. If they cannot fix it, they are going to build me a new boat. 

44 minutes ago, TRLMalibu said:

So a 2021 rudder assembly is 1/4 inch larger in diameter than a 2020 M240, so they cannot swap rudders. The dealer just told me Malibu is taking the boat back to TN to try to figure out what is wrong. If they cannot fix it, they are going to build me a new boat. 

As much as it sucks to not have your boat, I'm very happy to hear that they're taking the boat back to Loudon to see if they can figure it out.  And if there's no fix and you get a new one, then that's fantastic!  That's the kind of customer service we should all see from not only Malibu, but any company building and selling expensive toys such as these.  Please keep us all posted on how this develops.  

• Like 1

Glad to hear. Would not have guess that but I can see that and does not make sense. Just out of my own curiosity I might look up how the glass cues and what could cause that because it’s all foreign to me other than it’s impressive to see the spray and roll and boat hull out. 

• 3 months later...

Just updating this post. My M240 has been at Loudin TN for almost a month now, and no update from them. Just curious is anyone else has had Malibu request their new boat to come back to the factory for repairs for same issue. 

23 hours ago, TRLMalibu said:

Just updating this post. My M240 has been at Loudin TN for almost a month now, and no update from them. Just curious is anyone else has had Malibu request their new boat to come back to the factory for repairs for same issue. 

My '19 had to go back to be repainted.  I felt a bit left in the dark as well.  You could tell my dealer was struggling to get info from them.  I was hoping to drive up and see it before it was put back on the truck and sent back.  However, they made it right and it was prefect upon it's return.  

Hi TRLMalibu,

I had the same listing to the port side issue with my 2020 M240. My local dealer was uber helpful and very responsive but unable to resolve the problem completely. After many, many trips to the shop and advice from Malibu, the boat was 75% better - before these fixes the boat was just unsafe. I enjoyed my M240 for a few months before selling it. The new owner loves the boat but still has listing issues, and, they seem to be getting worse. He is also receiving great support from local dealer and Malibu but is understandably upset. But here is the big news on this boat: I was at the shop a few weeks ago buying a 2021 25 LSV and one of the shop guys walked me out to my old M240 and showed me the rudder. It was 8 inches too short!!!! I never noticed, the dealer never noticed. A new right-sized rudder was ordered and fingers crossed this will fix the problem or at least bring the boat back to where it was when I sold it. 

Chris

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Boat came back from Loudin factory after a couple months. Dropped it in the water, and issue was the same. They did not fix it. It is now on its way back to the factory for the 2nd time since new. I told them it is simply not safe in its current condition. The dealer is awesome. They are checking to see if they have allocation and they will build me a new M240. 

Edited by TRLMalibu
  • 2 weeks later...

Not yet, will report once they have it fixed. They have been great so far, and I am confident they will get it figured out. 

On 1/25/2021 at 4:28 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Did Loudon ever give you an answer as to the root cause of this?

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TRLMalibu said:

Just an update on my M240. Got it back and it is fixed. It went back to Loudin a second time and they found the swim platform brackets were the wrong ones, and apparently dragged in the water while underway. Also made a rudder adjustment. Explains why it sat level while sitting, but not while underway. It runs perfectly level now. I commend Malibu for taking the time to figure it out, and my dealer who advocated on my behalf the entire time. The Ski Shack in Springfield, MO. is a class act. 

Do you have any pictures of the correct brackets and the wrong ones? Also would like to see the pic of the wrong and right rudder. I haven’t noticed a problem since adding my 300 lbs of lead but just want to check mine.

I’m sorry, but I never took a “before” pic because I had no idea what was wrong when it left to go back to Loudin. My main thing was they didn’t just add 500lbs of weight to the port side because then it would lean while sitting idle.