Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 M240 Leans to Starboard

TRLMalibu

Took delivery of a new M240 (traded my M235), and it lists about 18 degrees to starboard with just me in the boat. My M235 was perfectly level. If you fill the port ballast fully, it almost levels out. My dealer is awesome and is figuring it out this week hopefully, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue on a Malibu? Even with hydraulic steering, it pulls to port, and the auto bilge came on about 12 times in one day. Again, none of which happened on my M235. Rudder and stabilizer fins look fine, and there’s no adjustment on the rudder on this model. I’m wondering how the heck it even left Loudon, TN with this issue. 

Edited by TRLMalibu
ahopkins22LSV
22 minutes ago, TRLMalibu said:

Not while sitting, only while underway. 

The auto bilge running all the time sounds like an issue, but the lean sounds like it is due to the offset weight and the torque of the 17” prop. The m235’s had the batteries on the port side and the M240 has them centered in the bow so that’s probably why your M235 didn’t lean. My VTX leans with just one person in it driving it too. Honestly every malibu from my friends early 90’s response to my previous 2013 txi to my now 2020 vtx leans with it’s just one person. Offset weight from the driver and prop torque. As you get bigger diameter, more aggressive props, it’s going to be more pronounced. The lean doesn’t sound like an issue to me.

• Like 3

Of my five friends with non-M235 Malibus, none list this far. Best I could tell is it’s 18 degrees. It’s almost a safety issue. I’ll see if dealer can figure it out. Appreciate the response, thank you. 

My M240 lists while sitting idle and underway.  It was maybe 5-10 degrees.  I just added about 300 lbs lead to my port side, and it was level with my our usual sitting arrangements.  Glad, I’ve had no auto-bilge issues.

Edited by potterm
3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

The auto bilge running all the time sounds like an issue, but the lean sounds like it is due to the offset weight and the torque of the 17” prop. The m235’s had the batteries on the port side and the M240 has them centered in the bow so that’s probably why your M235 didn’t lean. My VTX leans with just one person in it driving it too. Honestly every malibu from my friends early 90’s response to my previous 2013 txi to my now 2020 vtx leans with it’s just one person. Offset weight from the driver and prop torque. As you get bigger diameter, more aggressive props, it’s going to be more pronounced. The lean doesn’t sound like an issue to me.

Agree with most of this... but almost 20 degrees is a bit extreme and not normal. 

9 hours ago, TRLMalibu said:

Took delivery of a new M240 (traded my M235), and it lists about 18 degrees to starboard with just me in the boat. My M235 was perfectly level. If you fill the port ballast fully, it almost levels out. My dealer is awesome and is figuring it out this week hopefully, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue on a Malibu? Even with hydraulic steering, it pulls to port, and the auto bilge came on about 12 times in one day. Again, none of which happened on my M235. Rudder and stabilizer fins look fine, and there’s no adjustment on the rudder on this model. I’m wondering how the heck it even left Loudon, TN with this issue. 

Don’t you know Malibu cuts corners now to pump these boats out lol. We just listed our Malibu for sale. Next will be Super Air Nautique. Let’s see if they can do a better job from the factory than our plagued LSV.

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, gregtay said:

Agree with most of this... but almost 20 degrees is a bit extreme and not normal. 

For sure. I’d imagine it’s hard to get an actual reading of how far it’s is listing but I’ll be very curious to see what the dealer states. 

I have the same issues with my 2019 25 LSV.  Leans to the starboard slightly before getting on plane and stays that way.  With full ballast and surfing speeds, its level.

I also have the bilge issue.  The auto bilge warning kicks on about every 5 mins when under power.  Neither of these issues could be fixed by the dealer. After searching this forum and reading about the prop rotation, I added 300 lbs to the port side almost directly across from the helm.  Fixed the issue.  Still have not solved the auto bilge issue though.

I had neither of these issues with my 2016 23 LSV.

17 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Is it actually pumping out water with the warning? Or just the warning?

when the warning pops up is it running both pumps or just 1?

Yes, pumps out water. 

56 minutes ago, GSell14 said:

I have the same issues with my 2019 25 LSV.  Leans to the starboard slightly before getting on plane and stays that way.  With full ballast and surfing speeds, its level.

I also have the bilge issue.  The auto bilge warning kicks on about every 5 mins when under power.  Neither of these issues could be fixed by the dealer. After searching this forum and reading about the prop rotation, I added 300 lbs to the port side almost directly across from the helm.  Fixed the issue.  Still have not solved the auto bilge issue though.

I had neither of these issues with my 2016 23 LSV.

I’m not willing to accept the solution of adding 300 lbs of ballast every time. 

ahopkins22LSV
16 minutes ago, TRLMalibu said:

Yes, pumps out water. 

Agreed, this should have been caught at the factory. And your dealer should have done a pre-delivery water test. Most likely a very easy fix. Could be adding to the lean issue depending on how much water.

13 minutes ago, TRLMalibu said:

Add 300lbs of lead once and be done with it. Almost everyone I know, across all boat brands, adds lead to be able to tweak. I have 100 pounds stashed in the observer seat storage that never gets moved. It is as far forward and port as I could get it. Then I have 200 that I move around to tweak as needed based on crew size. For surfing its all in the bow. For skiing, It is on the port seat of the bow. At 34mph in my VTX, even with everyone sitting perfectly even weight distributed across the boat, the prop torque leans the boat and a symmetrical wake is just as important for skiing as it is boarding. the 200 lbs of lead on the port seat of the bow solves that issue.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, TRLMalibu said:

Test drive your future boat with just you and the dealer as you might be surprised of the number of Nautique boats leaning empty.

• Like 3

My M235 leans to port when at dock. but level when underway.    I have to leave 75% in rear starboard tank when left at lock or boat look terrible when left in marina .

I like @bamaboy suggestion.  I have a similar setting on our VLX.  Not only for the slight gangsta lean, but also to get a decent, economical cruising speed in chop that doesn't beat you up if you have a long run somewhere.  Seems like a super simple solution to the lean.  @bamaboy is right, too.......all of these boats, regardless of MFR, will have a lean simply due to the torque of the larger props and gear ratios.  

• Like 2