Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 or 2020 lsv 23

Chadg34

Good morning everyone. Upgrading to a newer boat this winter/spring. For our price range it will either be a 19 or a 20 23 lsv. Obviously the 19 will be cheaper, but should we spend more and get the newer dash. Do you folks on here with a 20 feel it’s worth it. Thanks for any recommendations. 

I had a 2016 and now loving our 2020. 

The screens are a huge improvement.  With the Android OS we listen almost exclusively to Spotify on the boat it's rock solid. You download your playlist on to the boat so you never have connection issues.  Get the M6 on either. I believe that only the 2020 has the 2:1 trans and the 17" prop.  

My favorite options are the swim step and power helm seat. 

• Like 2

I am just glad the stereo is an Android tablet!  Because when it goes out it’s probably 1/4 of the price of the screen on my 13 LSV...lol

But yes the screens in my 2020 are very nice and having Spotify is awesome. 

4 hours ago, Chadg34 said:

Good morning everyone. Upgrading to a newer boat this winter/spring. For our price range it will either be a 19 or a 20 23 lsv. Obviously the 19 will be cheaper, but should we spend more and get the newer dash. Do you folks on here with a 20 feel it’s worth it. Thanks for any recommendations. 

The 2020 dash is better... but there is also that by the time they got to 2019 on the old dash that had most of the issues worked out (but it is still slow and quirky.) The other big difference is the prop.  All motors in 2019 had 15" props.  All motors in 2020 had the 17" prop with 2:1 ratio tranny.

Obviously newer is better, but there aren't a ton of differences between the two years other that the props and screens.   Both years are going to have a mixed bag of PCM and Malibu motors.

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2020 at 11:50 AM, dwc032 said:

I am just glad the stereo is an Android tablet!  Because when it goes out it’s probably 1/4 of the price of the screen on my 13 LSV...lol

But yes the screens in my 2020 are very nice and having Spotify is awesome. 

How did you get Spotify downloaded?  I have a 2021 22LSV and Spotify does not show up in the App Store. If I go to Spotify.com it say incompatible. 

On 8/11/2020 at 10:19 AM, Chadg34 said:

Not sure where you are geographically, but a shameless plug for my 2019:

I have a 2021 and still have a few little software glitches.  It is still faster booting up but still has the potential to leave you in a dangerous predicament  if you cannot get it booted and started in time to move aweay from potential danger.   Also, does anyone with the new dash think that the type is to small to get focused on quickly?  I don't really think it is as user friendly just because many functions have moved and the characters are small. 

38 minutes ago, Gene3x said:

I have a 2021 and still have a few little software glitches.  It is still faster booting up but still has the potential to leave you in a dangerous predicament  if you cannot get it booted and started in time to move aweay from potential danger.   Also, does anyone with the new dash think that the type is to small to get focused on quickly?  I don't really think it is as user friendly just because many functions have moved and the characters are small. 

The key on the right side by the fuses will start the motor before the screen has booted up.  It is an emergency backup and works very well.  I only used it twice and found that when that key is on, the nav lights automatically turn on as well in case it was nightime.  The screens then don't quite respond (can't turn off the nav lights), but got me away from the shore I was drifting to without the screen delay.  

I always kept the key in place in case it was needed.  

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

The key on the right side by the fuses will start the motor before the screen has booted up.  It is an emergency backup and works very well.  I only used it twice and found that when that key is on, the nav lights automatically turn on as well in case it was nightime.  The screens then don't quite respond (can't turn off the nav lights), but got me away from the shore I was drifting to without the screen delay.  

^^^This!  I do the same.  You simply never know what can happen nor how quickly.  This is a great piece of advise for anyone in these boats.  We do the same and have since day 1.  

• Like 1
On 9/14/2020 at 2:18 PM, TallRedRider said:

Awesome, thanks.  i will keep it handy just in case!