Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Tower Speakers - Advice Please

Fish209

Let me start by saying I don’t know anything about sound systems at all. I have a 2009 VLX with a white Illusion XS tower. I don’t have any tower speakers now and it’s time to get a pair. Right now, I just have the factory Rockford Fosgate cabin speakers throughout the boat (I think they are 6.5” speakers) and one 12’ Rockford Fosgate sub. I also have three amps:

• Alpine – V-Power – 4 Channel Power Amplifier – MRP-F250
  • Rockford Fosgate - 4 Channel Amplifier - Punch P500-2
  • Rockford Fosgate - 4 Channel Amplifier - Punch P400-4
  • I also have another box seen in the attached image ("JBL Marine"). I don’t know what it is. Could it be another amp?

With these amps, would I need another one to power the tower speakers? I’m not even sure if maybe one of the amp I have now is already connected to the wiring in the tower speaker and will just power the tower speakers as soon as I plug them in.

Wet Sound seems to be the go to boat speaker, but I’ve also heard Exile is good. I was looking at either the WestSound Rev 10 (not sure which as there are  few), or Rev 8 (not sure as there are a few). Or the Exile models Exile XM9, or SXT9Q. Should I consider something else from a different brand?

The tower appears to be prewired (see attached image). Does this mean it will be a pretty simple plug and play installation?

I’d like for the speakers to be able to rotate 360 degrees so I can direct them to the front, back, or even side to side if needed. The Exile speakers offer this capability, not sure about the WetSounds.

In summary, here are my questions:

1. What tower speakers would you suggest? WetSounds (which model?), Exile (which model?) , or something else?
  2. Will the install be a simple plug and play with the tower pre-wiring, or will it be something more complicated than I’m thinking? Will I need anything else for the install?
  3. Will I need anything else to make this sound great once I install the tower speakers? Amp, Equalizer, tuning/adjusting…???

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Amps.png

Speaker Wire.png

Edited by Fish209

Just added tower speakers on mine.  Went with Wetsounds REV10s on factory Malibu brackets.  They rock while wakeboarding or surfing or lounging in the water behind the boat.  Pretty power hungry.  They are WAY too big to swivel.  They have horn tweaters with a 10" midbass woofer; just like concert speakers would; made to project sound loud and clear.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a local audio shop come by and take a look. They suggested I get a pair of Rev 8's (because they can't get Rev 10's right now), 4 new cabin speakers, and two amps. The quote for the wet sounds products is more than I'm looking to spend, The Exile products would be much more in my comfort level for spending (after getting a nice discount). The only problem with Exile, is they don't have the speakers or amps in stock, and won't for a while. They are hoping for the end of the year and not sure exactly what they'll be able to get.

Is there be a 3rd brand I should consider that would be less expensive than wet sounds, but still sound good. I definitely don't need to be the loudest boat on the water and to be honest, I might not even be able to notice the different between a good sounding system and a great one.

Would would you suggest for someone like me that just wants a quality sound system, but doesn't need the absolute best?

Edited by Fish209

I’d get four wet sounds rev8s they fit nicely on that tower. Also as they say you get what you pay for wetsounds is quality. Don’t waste your money stepping down to a 6.5” speaker.

10 hours ago, Fish209 said:

I had a local audio shop come by and take a look. They suggested I get a pair of Rev 8's (because they can't get Rev 10's right now), 4 new cabin speakers, and two amps. The quote for the wet sounds products is more than I'm looking to spend, The Exile products would be much more in my comfort level for spending (after getting a nice discount). The only problem with Exile, is they don't have the speakers or amps in stock, and won't for a while. They are hoping for the end of the year and not sure exactly what they'll be able to get.

Is there be a 3rd brand I should consider that would be less expensive than wet sounds, but still sound good. I definitely don't need to be the loudest boat on the water and to be honest, I might not even be able to notice the different between a good sounding system and a great one.

Would would you suggest for someone like me that just wants a quality sound system, but doesn't need the absolute best?

Rev 10s are only a $100 ish each more than rev 8s.  Season is practically over.  I would have him order (2) rev 10s and wait for them.  It'll be way less than (4) rev 8s.  I just bought a set of (2) rev10s and lover them.  Great midbass that connects to the in boat sub

IMO, REV8's are a waste of money with the minimal price difference going to a REV10.   After recently upgrading from four 6.5" Exile towers to two REV10's, I wish I had just did the REV10's from day one.  They just sound better (and are louder). 

If I couldn't do the REV10's, I would go with the JL 8.8 tower speakers.  

i have two rev 8’s and they are real good but they are not 10’s but i only paid $440 for a new pair on ebay 

the Rockford Fosgate HCLD’s are very impressive

i highly recommend a WS EQ and the WS BT rocker switch transceiver put into a acc rocket switch bay, never have to touch the phone except to start music app as the transceiver gives you full control  

the EQ gives adjustable on the fly zone snd volume control with simple knobs

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the Wetsounds are great! That's not my issue. If I wasn't looking at the price tag, I would go that route. I'm just looking to spend less then Wetsounds go for. I have an opportunity to get a complete Exile package at a significant discount if I wait until they get product back in stock (around the end of the year). I was just trying to see if there was another brand similar with a lower price tag I should be considering that might be available now. I understand the sound won't be as awesome as Wetsounds or Exile, but if its in the same ballpark, my ears won't notice the difference. 

Brand aside, what are your wake tower speaker goals? This is going to put in the HLCD or traditional dome tweeter categories. Next factor is going to be what pods will mount to the illusion bolt and wire hole pattern. The later will narrow the field quite a bit. 

I'm not exactly sure MLA. I just want something that will sound good (doesn't need to be the absolute best). Hopefully something along the lines of the wetsounds or Exile, but I'm not sold on only one of those two brands. As you mentioned, they would need to work with the Illusion bolt and wire pattern. From my limited knowledge it seems Wetsounds and Exile keep popping up as the top two brands. I guess I'm just wondering if I should look at the #3, or the #4 most popular brands for marine audio? Or is there a big drop off in quality after Wetsounds and Exile?

6 hours ago, Fish209 said:

I'm not exactly sure MLA. I just want something that will sound good (doesn't need to be the absolute best). Hopefully something along the lines of the wetsounds or Exile, but I'm not sold on only one of those two brands. As you mentioned, they would need to work with the Illusion bolt and wire pattern. From my limited knowledge it seems Wetsounds and Exile keep popping up as the top two brands. I guess I'm just wondering if I should look at the #3, or the #4 most popular brands for marine audio? Or is there a big drop off in quality after Wetsounds and Exile?

I think what MLA is trying to ask in the first question....do you want surf distance sound or are you trying to hear the stereo while wakeboarding?  The dome tweets will be more than sufficient for surf tunes.  The HLCDs are almost a must if you are trying to project 70+ft back.

Personally, i wouldn't mind hearing tunes while boarding.  But, i HATE being "that guy" on the lake makes everyone else be subjected to my playlist.  I cant stand it when other do it, so i (likely) will never do it myself.  That being said, for me, i dont know if i would/could justify swapping my Icons for Revs.

As for sound quality, IMO, i don't think your "#3 or #4 most popular brands" are going to net you a bad result (assuming 8" or larger).  Mentally though, if you dont go with #1 or #2, can you be happy with them?  Serious psyche question.  I know i have fallen "victim" to this myself.  If i dont get "the best"...even though the next best is cheaper and is just as good....i still think its lesser quality/lesser of a product....and im not truly happy.  More than once i have justified a larger price tag for the simple fact that the item i was buying was "the best".

Edited by Texan32

This would be more for surfing. We wouldn't need to hear it clearly 70 feet behind the boat. I definitely don't want to be that guy subjecting everyone on the lake to my playlist as you put it :)

I dont want to tell you NOT to look into an HLCD speaker set.  I have no first hand experience with them.  They might sound great at surf distance.  Im only speculating that if budget is in mind, i dont think they are "mandatory" for what you want out of your sound system. 

Perhaps there is a marine audio dealer in your area that will let you hear a pair of coax and a pair of HLCD speakers side by side.  Just step back 15ft and see want you think.

9 hours ago, Fish209 said:

I definitely don't want to be that guy subjecting everyone on the lake to my playlist as you put it

A well powered pair or two if coaxials, will also spread across the lake. But none the less. While an HLCD is geared for a more a focused cone of projection and a coaxial is typically going to offer better near field sound quality, I would not discount a larger HLCD like a 10" or 11". The added mid-bass surface area compared to a smaller HLCD, offers better balance and sound quality. However, these will typically carry a larger price tag compared to coaxial. 

For surf/party cove type listening a pair of well powered 8" coaxial speakers are perfect. So now you are partway there.