Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spotlight for late night surfing

SlayerWilson

Any recommendations for a spot light to surf after sunset?   Seen a slick mxz with one tonight on our cove.  Any ideas or pics you guys have would be appreciated 

11 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I’ve used this one, works really well just need to position it properly so it’s not blinding. 
https://suckgatewakesurf.com/collections/spot-light/products/spot-light-night-surfing-light

Another option is to go for super bright underwater lights such as liquid lumens. 

Thank you sir!  Exactly what I need. 

2 hours ago, Leftlane said:

Not legal to surf after dark in Texas anyway. I know people do it, never understood why.  

Because screw the other people on the lake... 

• Like 2
On 8/9/2020 at 11:13 AM, UWSkier said:

Because screw the other people on the lake... 

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not - I also see plenty of people surfing with no life jackets on during the day.  It ends up playing out like Darwin's Law over time.

2 minutes ago, Leftlane said:

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not - I also see plenty of people surfing with no life jackets on during the day.  It ends up playing out like Darwin's Law over time.

I'm agreeing with you.  It's really stupid and incredibly selfish.  Sending surf rollers down the lake during the daytime when people can see them is one thing.  Sending surf rollers into people out for a nighttime slow ride or out fishing is pure a-hole behavior.  If I can't see those coming and can't power up over them, I'm getting swamped.

• Like 2

Gotcha - I thought you were agreeing but I wasn't sure.  Our lakehouse is pretty close to a no wake zone under a bridge and I could spend all day and all night yelling at people who blow through without even slowing down despite 8 no wake markers across the entire width of the bridge - sometimes even pulling skiers or tubes.  I also see lots of boats at night going 25 mph and sometimes without any lights on at all.  The other night the only reason I knew there was a pontoon going by my place in the pitch black was they were blasting music - but zero navigation lights at all.  Lake patrol could probably double the size of their budget by hanging out at my house all day and writing tickets.

On 8/9/2020 at 8:39 AM, Leftlane said:

Not legal to surf after dark in Texas anyway. I know people do it, never understood why.  

Also, for those that do surf after sunset, what about the surfer's safety?  How do you see him/her once they go down?

When I was young we would surf at night behind the old Euro f3 Mystere. Sometimes we would slalom ski too. We used a handheld spotlight so we could always spot the rider when they were down.

Anybody taking a slow night ride would see our lights and hear us.

On 8/9/2020 at 6:39 AM, Leftlane said:

We do it here in Las Vegas because some days it is close to 118 at our lake, so our guests prefer to be on the water during a cooler time. Plus, it is fun!

5 hours ago, Texan32 said:

Also, for those that do surf after sunset, what about the surfer's safety?  How do you see him/her once they go down?

We buy a pack of glow sticks and hook them all over the life jacket, make a necklace and bracelets, as well as tape them all over the board. Makes it a piece of cake to find the rider and board without shining a bright light that draws attention from the shore as well as making it hard for the driver and surfer to see.

We also make sure to do it on a giant lake (10 miles wide by 20 miles long) in an unpopulated area where no one goes for night cruises and noise is not an issue. I will say the first time I went down at night and the boat turned to get me, not being able to see the surf lights anymore was a very eerie feeling sitting alone in the pitch black. I grabbed that board awfully tight and tried not to think about something dragging me down into the abyss!

Edited by vaporbluebu
51 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

California is the only state where night skiing is allowed, subject to local ordinance. 

That really surprises me.  In Cali,  I expected you to have to have a driver certification with 130 credit hours,  a spotter certification with 96 credit hours, be licensed to turn the engine key, have a live webcam feed to the Central WaterSports Regulatory Committee control office....... :rofl:

Edited by Texan32
4 hours ago, Texan32 said:

That really surprises me.  In Cali,  I expected you to have to have a driver certification with 130 credit hours,  a spotter certification with 96 credit hours, be licensed to turn the engine key, have a live webcam feed to the Central WaterSports Regulatory Committee control office....... :rofl:

I actually thought it was illegal in Cali. AFAIK. I think all local lakes are 5 mph, dusk to dawn. C9A6AA98-D879-4065-BC5F-69EF39FF920E.thumb.png.c7a321362809627cfa5d2a9c1f9d68eb.pngI just looked and it is actually not legal. 

Edited by Sparky450