Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass paddle wheel

I'm interested in knowing if this worked too.

I have the exact same problems as Tracie described about hers, but I haven't done much other than mess with the KDW and NN settings to try and compensate. I've had the NN setting all the way up to 300, which made it worse, and eventually settled in at 100 with a KDW setting of 140. This setting works best for my riders who run between 23 and 25, but for anyone who wants to ride slower than 23, the boat starts slowing down, and then over compensates - usually by about 1 mph both ways.

JV

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SacRiverRat

• WakeGirl

• jklein

• Brad B

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

eventually settled in at 100 with a KDW setting of 140.  This setting works best for my riders who run between 23 and 25, but for anyone who wants to ride slower than 23, the boat starts slowing down, and then over compensates - usually by about 1 mph both ways.

This is pretty much my experiance too - I've found the speed at which is starts to have issue is related to the weighting of the boat... more weight, and more rear-weighted.. the boat needs more speed to plane up - which causes the PP issues. When the boat shifts from planing to margionally planning, I think the water flow must get messed up, and or something about how the boat is "plowing" more causes the issue.

Try moving more weight forward - or having the big passengers snuggle up on the observer seat (or bow) ;) ... that helps me -but it makes my brother mad that I have to tell him where he can sit

Troy:

Did you get to test your extender this weekend?  Did it work any better?

No.gif I suck... Had the boat out, but between the kids and traffic, it just wasn't the right time. Will be on Oroville this weekend with calm water and no kids (or river current) - so I plan to run through some new settings.. I suspect it might just require some new NM and KDW settings - but while I was crusin yesterday, the speed does seem to fluxuate a lot (just watching the indicated PP speed) while traveling at what feels like a constant speed (~27-30mph) not sure why that is.. (maybe it is just set too sensitive (NM)

Troy:

Did you get to test your extender this weekend?  Did it work any better?

No.gif I suck... Had the boat out, but between the kids and traffic, it just wasn't the right time. Will be on Oroville this weekend with calm water and no kids (or river current) - so I plan to run through some new settings.. I suspect it might just require some new NM and KDW settings - but while I was crusin yesterday, the speed does seem to fluxuate a lot (just watching the indicated PP speed) while traveling at what feels like a constant speed (~27-30mph) not sure why that is.. (maybe it is just set too sensitive (NM)

Joe wondered if that shim that you made would create its own turbulence across the wheel. We'll help ya test it this weekend if you like. :)

Joe wondered if that shim that you made would create its own turbulence across the wheel.  We'll help ya test it this weekend if you like.  :)

Yea - I duno... it might - will be interesting to see what your new one looks like.

Yes - we need to do some testing this weekend! Biggrin.gif

Joe wondered if that shim that you made would create its own turbulence across the wheel.  We'll help ya test it this weekend if you like.  :)

Yea - I duno... it might - will be interesting to see what your new one looks like.

Yes - we need to do some testing this weekend! Biggrin.gif

Mine won't be in until next week, scheduling difficulties & all. I'll be sure to post detailed pics after it's done though.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a lot of testing to get my paddle wheel to work correctly, so I will share my experience with all of you FWIW. I put PP in my 25'r and it was terrible. large (3-4mph) swing in speed if you slightly swerved the steering wheel or if a rider cut hard against the boat. I tried a very large "canoo" paddle wheel that was almost a foot long and placed the paddle wheel about 3" away from the bottom of the boat. It was perfect! Except for the large canoo on the bottom of my boat. I then got one of the smaller versions available now from PP. On MY boat, it was just as bad as the original paddle wheel. This "canoo" only puts the paddle wheel about 1 1/2" away from the bottom of the boat. So, I whittled a spacer out of a 2X4 (no, not as nice as the one pictured above) to put the wheel back down to about 3" away from the bottom of the boat and again, it is perfect. Your millage may vary. I am guessing that mine was worse than any of yours and that is probably why I had to go further into the lake for a clean signal. Now that it works I love it.

As for the original posted question, I did play with the angle of my wheel by installing it without sealer and trying it, moving it, trying it, moving it ect. as I can easily reach it while on the water. I found it did like a very small angle towards the center of the boat, although again, all this info is related to the 25' LSV at wakeboard speed.

I hope this helps someone. I know how frustrated I was and was ready to take it out. Many thanks to Gary at PP who helped me get it right. I wish more places had customer service like PP.

I've decided I'm pretty happy with my PP Mod... It has held up and performed nicely over the past couple trips.

I'm going to try the new prop and see if that helps the speed control a bit more.

Yeah... Troy, I have to say that it was much much better than it was before. Before it was 3 to 4 mph on either side of the target speed. Now, it seems to be in the 1.5 +/- range. It might just be my perception, but it still seems a little more jumpy than other boats I've driven lately with PP installed. Maybe it was just the conditions (a little chop and some boat rollers vs smooth water). Of course, the LSV is a beast to push around too, so that could be a major contributor as well.

BTW: Like my new avitar?

Edited by jklein
Yeah... Troy, I have to say that it was much much better than it was before.  Before it was 3 to 4 mph on either side of the target speed.  Now, it seems to be in the 1.5 +/- range.  It might just be my perception, but it still seems a little more jumpy than other boats I've driven lately with PP installed.  Maybe it was just the conditions (a little chop and some boat rollers vs smooth water).  Of course, the LSV is a beast to push around too, so that could be a major contributor as well.

BTW:  Like my new avitar?

I do like the new avitar... that is a great shot! I am hoping that the new prop will help the PP maintain the speed. I think much of the issue I run into now, it the amount of throttle needed to get the boat back on a plane - When I crank up the PP settings, it then chopps the throttle too much, making the situation worse... We'll see what happens... it is much better already